Will Todd Richards get fired before the end of the season?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Red and Sam are onto something...I just hope there's someone like Lavs available to hire when we do let him go...

But what's the point of a "short leash?" It'll just be 2011-2012 all over again where Hartsburg or Larsen hold down the fort until a decision is made in the offseason. Bringing in an outsider means a month to adjust or so. Maybe he has a longer leash than we think. Perhaps the FO gives him a chance with a healthy lineup to see what they can do.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Cool, thanks.

I've heard a lot positive about mushrooms ( for next season ):laugh::laugh: Can I buy these online in CBJ nhl shop? :laugh: It may be good solution for pain relief, at least in October - November

decadence_smoking_by_brusnika_girl.jpg

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think Red and Sam are onto something...I just hope there's someone like Lavs available to hire when we do let him go...

If Babcock were truly available (which I doubt that he is), I'd hire him to coach this team next season.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i think he's 70% headed to Toronto 30% staying in Detroit

and I think those are the only options...

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
If Babcock were truly available (which I doubt that he is), I'd hire him to coach this team next season.

It's very interesting, I don't know about Blashill - how many years he is ready to " sit" in Griffins? Earlier/ later he'll be Wings coach and Babcok goes to Toronto. Babcock - cool, nothing to add. Dream, same as Jim Nill. I (always; in past) wanted him as our GM

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's very interesting, I don't know about Blashill - how many years he is ready to " sit" in Griffins? Earlier/ later he'll be Wings coach and Babcok goes to Toronto. Babcock - cool, nothing to add. Dream, same as Jim Nill. I (always; in past) wanted him as our GM

Agreed that Nill > Jarmo

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I guess that our youngsters Milano, Dano, Bjork, Alex, Karlsson, Connauton, probably Reilly and Werenski/ Provorov and Todd's style are hardly compatible. But anyway in 2-3 year they ( our young Falcons:)) will play in roster and they need possession minded HC or they will sit on IR/LTIR whole season. On another side " adult" core also must be adjusted before youngsters' appearance in Nationwide. If our FO is planning next season as transitional (f.., " ignite your draft" :laugh:) we can use next season for adult core's adjustment

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Why Blues never win CS with Hitch? Because his style in recourse consuming, but Hitch's system is kindergarten compared to our system :laugh: ( yes, spirit and will can, but body not). Puck possession and total checking is not same. This problem needs complex multilevel solution, playing style, conditionig, restoration, medical staff etc. You can't just shut your eyes to this problem and hope that it'll go away. You can't simply scout games around the world( looking for Finnish Moses :laugh:), you have to build system from bottom.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Forgive my ignorance but, why would he not stay in Detroit? They just don't want to pay him a lot or what?

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...s-a-blue-jacket--hence-injured-215348154.html

Team president John Davidson said today on the radio that coach Todd Richards and his staff will be back next year. Which seems like the fair thing to do, in the sense that it’ll hopefully be “hockey season” rather than a reality series on the surgery channel.

Like, love it, or Hate it...I think this debate is over. I don't think JD would say this if the organization wasn't committed to the current staff for next year, at least to start the year

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...s-a-blue-jacket--hence-injured-215348154.html

Team president John Davidson said today on the radio that coach Todd Richards and his staff will be back next year. Which seems like the fair thing to do, in the sense that it’ll hopefully be “hockey season†rather than a reality series on the surgery channel.

Like, love it, or Hate it...I think this debate is over. I don't think JD would say this if the organization wasn't committed to the current staff for next year, at least to start the year

Well, no point in firing anyone now. Just more salaries to pay.

Start slow next season and the seat will get hot really quickly. They can't afford to be slow on the trigger next year if injuries are no longer an excuse.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The team has never had a static enough roster to find its rhythm.

The bottom 6 that this team has iced for a good portion of the year is not even NHL caliber.

Add in Bobrovsky's injury-riddled season and there's no basis for removing the same coaching staff which has had success with the same roster sans injuries.

Plus, HCTR will have the luxury of having incredible talents like Bourque and Clarkson to work with from the beginning of training camp.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

The only way I can get behind a coaching change is if there's a 'name' that's available and interested. I love Torts, but that scares the hell out of me.

Really, the one guy I'd love to land is McLellan should he become available. Sooner or later the Sharks have do to something to change things up, and it might come down to him since they can't get Joe out of town.

All of that said, I'm far from convinced that coaching is really the issue - need for a new message? maybe - but this year has been a disaster with injuries and it quickly exposed how far the CBJ really have to go to mature into a perennial playoff team, much less a true contender. I suspect this is far less of a surprise to JD and JK than it was to me.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Forgive my ignorance but, why would he not stay in Detroit? They just don't want to pay him a lot or what?

Toronto and hockey media being themselves, really. That's the only real reason. Toronto fans think everyone wants to go there and the media loves to feed it. There are valid reasons to believe the 'story' of him going to Toronto, the challenge of it, etc, but I'm just not sure that's what he's about based on what I've read about him over these many years.

I bet he stays in DET.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, no point in firing anyone now. Just more salaries to pay.

Start slow next season and the seat will get hot really quickly. They can't afford to be slow on the trigger next year if injuries are no longer an excuse.

About next season... Are we entering it with as much optimism as we did this one? Moves still to be made?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
About next season... Are we entering it with as much optimism as we did this one? Moves still to be made?

I'm not. They still need to fix the D and the 3rd and 4th line needs to play like a 3rd and 4th line.

The current players aren't cutting it so they need to fix those and stop trying to score the perfect goal and just get down and dirty.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Toronto and hockey media being themselves, really. That's the only real reason. Toronto fans think everyone wants to go there and the media loves to feed it. There are valid reasons to believe the 'story' of him going to Toronto, the challenge of it, etc, but I'm just not sure that's what he's about based on what I've read about him over these many years.

He needs to go there...needs to get established in the city before Rick Nash signs as a UFA there as soon as his contract is up.

:sarcasm:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

For consistency sake I say Richards gets one more season, after all, he didn't sign the injury brigade of Gaborik or Horton etc...

That said, it amazes me that Babcock is mentioned when Peter Laviolette was on the market in October and few if any here even blinked an eye, now, Nashville is an NHL leader?

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
For consistency sake I say Richards gets one more season, after all, he didn't sign the injury brigade of Gaborik or Horton etc...

That said, it amazes me that Babcock is mentioned when Peter Laviolette was on the market in October and few if any here even blinked an eye, now, Nashville is an NHL leader?

In October, the team was just beginning a season following an exciting first round performance against the Pens. I dont think anyone was looking to replace Richards.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

In October, the team was just beginning a season following an exciting first round performance against the Pens. I dont think anyone was looking to replace Richards.

I think you're both right. Laviolette is probably the superior coach, but Richards had earned the right to keep his spot at the time.

And Richards is cheaper. The CBJ need to be able to afford their coach as well as pay for injured players.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I've not taken the time to verify the timeline but if I recall the CBJ were not good early in the season when PL was still on the market....

That said, I think we had injuries at the time (as we always do).... If I may be sarcastic, injuries might be Todd Richards's best friend..... :)

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Laviolette was hired in May.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=718131

I like Laviolette quite a bit, but there's no way CBJ replace their coach after last season so it was never an option. The only time the CBJ were in a realistic position to hire this guy was around the time they hired Hitch - both were available then.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Just curious, but when did Laviolette become such a genius?

It's pretty typical that replacing one type of coach with the opposite will achieve positive results. In Nashville's case, replacing a coach who preaches discipline and structure (Trotz) with one who allows more for free flow (Laviolette) has produced positive results.

In three years, this will all be forgotten anyway unless Nashville continues to produce NHLers from within.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad