Will Todd Richards get fired before the end of the season?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah. Richards doesn't know anything about young player development.:laugh:

There are any number of reasons the kid could be being scratched. The reason might have nothing to do with how he's been playing. Or it might have something to do with something specific about how he is playing and the coaching staff wants to send a message. Or it could be about something he did (or didn't do) outside of playing. Or it could be that he wants to evaluate someone else and benching a rookie isn't the same as benching a vet. Who knows? Who cares? Johansen got demoted to Springfield. It really messed him up. LOL

If anyone really believes that this team could have performed better under a different coach over the past dozen or so games when the roster got truly healthy, then I don't know what to say to them.

Todd Richards has done a great job as HC of the CBJ and will continue to do so. Get used to him, he might outlast Urban Meyer.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah. Richards doesn't know anything about young player development.:laugh:

There are any number of reasons the kid could be being scratched. The reason might have nothing to do with how he's been playing. Or it might have something to do with something specific about how he is playing and the coaching staff wants to send a message. Or it could be about something he did (or didn't do) outside of playing. Or it could be that he wants to evaluate someone else and benching a rookie isn't the same as benching a vet. Who knows? Who cares? Johansen got demoted to Springfield. It really messed him up. LOL

If anyone really believes that this team could have performed better under a different coach over the past dozen or so games when the roster got truly healthy, then I don't know what to say to them.

Todd Richards has done a great job as HC of the CBJ and will continue to do so. Get used to him, he might outlast Urban Meyer.

Why would playing time not be determined by on ice performance? (besides a situation like Voynov)

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Or... (complete speculation on my part) someone from on high said "we know what we have in Dano, we need to make a decision about Morin, let's see what happens if he plays higher in the line-up"

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Why would playing time not be determined by on ice performance? (besides a situation like Voynov)

Well, it might not be an on ice issue. I really don't know why.

I do know that young players get scratched before vets and that it's really no big deal.

The previous poster speculated on something which could be the case. But, once again, who knows?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, it might not be an on ice issue. I really don't know why.

I do know that young players get scratched before vets and that it's really no big deal.

The previous poster speculated on something which could be the case. But, once again, who knows?

The-Shadow-Knows.jpg

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
How did I know that when I read the Tweet about the Dano scratch on Twitter earlier today, that someone would call for Richards head on HF? Because it's HF. Many on here have said before, sometimes stats are not reflective of play. I haven't seen the grit in Dano's game the last couple and have seen more of the dangler in him. Perhaps he's being sent a message?

At this point, the fact that Richards has gotten this club 2 games over .500 with the horrid injuries he's had to deal with, I'm willing to overlook this and look forward to him being behind the bench next season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How did I know that when I read the Tweet about the Dano scratch on Twitter earlier today, that someone would call for Richards head on HF? Because it's HF. Many on here have said before, sometimes stats are not reflective of play. I haven't seen the grit in Dano's game the last couple and have seen more of the dangler in him. Perhaps he's being sent a message?

LOL Yes, let's sit the kid because he's only put up 9 points the last 10 games with a +8 rating. But oh wait, he hasn't been "gritty" enough. :help:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Or... (complete speculation on my part) someone from on high said "we know what we have in Dano, we need to make a decision about Morin, let's see what happens if he plays higher in the line-up"

We need new people in our organization if they don't know what they have in any player at this point.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
LOL Yes, let's sit the kid because he's only put up 9 points the last 10 games with a +8 rating. But oh wait, he hasn't been "gritty" enough. :help:

He'd be on the first line if he had 1 point, a -8, and was playing with more grit ;).

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Hey now, don't you know where you are? The pitchforks are out; get those plausible scenarios and probably exactly what happened out of here!

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There's, what, a week left? How about shutting this one down?

Just change the title to "Should the moron Richards be fired?" and we'll be fine. I was rather annoyed before; this Dano decision has pushed this beyond what I can tolerate.

After this handling of Wiz in the playoffs in which Wiz gets scape-goated instead of Richards by the front office - I'm done with this current regime for now. All of them will have to do a lot of changing for me to change my opinion (not that it matters or that they care). Not renewing my season tickets.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Just change the title to "Should the moron Richards be fired?" and we'll be fine. I was rather annoyed before; this Dano decision has pushed this beyond what I can tolerate.

After this handling of Wiz in the playoffs in which Wiz gets scape-goated instead of Richards by the front office - I'm done with this current regime for now. All of them will have to do a lot of changing for me to change my opinion (not that it matters or that they care). Not renewing my season tickets.

Wow! You've got a mean-on for everyone. I'm sorry but this organization has seen a culture turnaround and seen more success in the past three years than in the history of the franchise and you want the FO and coach gone. Wow. I guess we've all got our reasons, but I've seen more to be excited about than most of you on here.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wow! You've got a mean-on for everyone. and you want the FO and coach gone.

I said I'm done with them. That doesn't mean I want I want JD/JK fired. Small distinction, but there is one. It's taken me a long time to get to this point on Richards. However, JK/JD have a lot of work to do to get me to see beyond some of the decisions they've made this season. I was an early supporter of some of the moves JK was making; not so much recently. JK really should be bringing in his own HC at this point. He had the chance to bring in his own guy and no one would have said anything. Richards is an OK head coach, but this team deserves better. This team has the capability to win despite some of his poor decisions.

As far as JK/JD; we'll be dealing with the Horton insurance fiasco for years to come, as an example.

There is a great deal to be excited about with this team. Too bad the head coach is making stupid personnel decisions and the front office ****ed us with the Clarkson contract. I sure do hope he returns to "form" otherwise I'd just as soon have kept Horton. At least we wouldn't be tempted to play him and use a roster spot that we could just use on a kid.

I don't apologize for wanting Richards gone. There is nothing special about him or his coaching style. He's far inferior to the top 5 coaches in the league. Far inferior. He has an slightly below average IQ for the game, as far as head coaches in the league. He makes weird game day roster decisions. His obsession with certain players and dog housing others are baffling. He seems to be able to keep a decent atmosphere in the locker room, but that's about all I see going for him. We can do better.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I coached a kid a few years ago who would block his ass off if he was on the playside and loaf if he was on the backside. I got tired of it and finally told him that the next time he did it, I was going to sit him for the rest of the half.

He did it again. He was benched the rest of the half and replaced with a clearly inferior player. He never loafed under me again and turned into a decorated player.

On the play in question, there was actually no one for him to block; he just had to get up to the next level with some amount of speed. He didn't do it fast enough, and we'd already had the conversation.

Point is, no one outside of a really small handful knew why it had happened, and they supported it.

I'm not saying that Bycek is loafing. I'm saying that chances are that there's a pretty good reason why he's not in the lineup for one freakin' night, and the head coach who refuses to name names or criticize individual players in public or to the media is absolutely never going to say what that reason is. Maybe he did something last game that he wasn't supposed to that he's been warned about repeatedly. Maybe he was caught in bed with a dead hooker. I don't know, you don't know, none of us know.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not saying that Bycek is loafing. I'm saying that chances are that there's a pretty good reason why he's not in the lineup for one freakin' night,

I don't care what "reason" Richards has. There has been nothing grievous enough in the last few games to justify it. Dano has been a huge reason for this teams success and Wennberg played through some bad play and didn't get scratched.

Richards clearly has his pets and players he puts in the dog house. I don't like it.

I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole (Richards) with you like I did with Howson. I take my time judging people in this organization. Dano was simply the last straw. You seem obsessed with defending these guys. You tend to make the mistake of taking the last reason listed and making it seem irrational when if you bothered to look at my posting record you know (I know you do) that this has taken months for me to get to this point and involves far more than our win/loss and a recent decision.

I don't expect you do support or even respect my opinion (I don't think the tendency to support those under attack will allow you to see beyond anything be perceived irrational attacks); but what I do expect is that you don't give me all your stories about why you think I'm being irrational. You should know that I've given that simplistic reason due consideration. This is a pattern with Richards and I don't like it.

If you want to defend Richards based on my other arguments; feel free to give it a shot. I highly doubt you'll come across as anything other than simply apologetic.

I respect you for your intelligence and your consistency. However, not for you defense for those that are in the highest positions in their fields. These guys are and should be judged at a totally different level. The goal is to win championships, not make the playoffs and hope we get lucky with a hot goal tender. If we manage to win a Cup it won't be because Richards out-coached the other teams head coaches. Richards is far inferior to a Babcock, Hitchcock, or even a Trotz.

When Trotz was let go I couldn't have tried and sign him fast enough. I would have dumped Richards in the mid-season had he become available in the midst of a 10 game winning streak. We're going to have problems with him in charge of a team like the Caps.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This THREAD should be fired before the end of the season. :shakehead
I might me in the minority, but I don't think I am, when I say Todd Richards is actually doing a pretty damn good job dealing with everything that's been thrown at him.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I might me in the minority, but I don't think I am, when I say Todd Richards is actually doing a pretty damn good job dealing with everything that's been thrown at him.

Agreed. Team is healthy now and we saw what we can expect when fully healthy. It seems like he still has the team behind him and management. Getting excited for next year already.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Completely agree. Things are getting pretty ridiculous around here. It would be completely different if we were in the playoff race, but we're not. Like Bee said its likely the kid did something he wasnt supposed to. And Richards isnt one to air dirty laundry for everyone to see. I like Richards, its kind of like the devil you know vs the devil you dont. Ill take Mr Lineomatic vs a guy who cant control his room.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Doesn't mean he had to bench Dano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad