Pre-Game Talk: Will the team we Love the most bring us Joy tonight? Pens @ Avs 10pm Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Let's take it a step further:

Dumoulin had his ups-and-downs this last call up.

There is no amount of AHL time that can make you ready for the speed and physicality of the NHL. (I argued the same when they kept refusing to play Despres in the NHL)

So, no matter how good Dumoulin has become in the A, based on what we've seen of him in the NHL, and based on common sense, logic, and our entire history of the league, we can safely assume that his time next year in the NHL (no matter which team he is with) will not be without inconsistencies.

So what will make them more-open to dealing with young, inexperienced inconsistencies next year than they are this year, when they had much more depth of experience/age than they presumably will next year?

I would have liked to see Dumoulin up more this year either by taking Harrington's or Pouliot's games or sitting Bortuzzo. Getting him extra games and practices would have been helpful to better assess what he needs to work on and his readiness.

I also have no faith that they will let him play through his inconsistencies given how Dumoulin was handled earlier in the year (particularly the NYR game where Martin was terrible) and how Despres was handled.

Scuderi - Cole sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. This could be just my ignorance of Cole's abilities, but our defense looks so ugly now without a Despres in it to babysit Scuds.

Pens fans have been talking up Cole like he has legit top 4 potential. Blues fans are not nearly as complimentary about his play. Hopefully he moves the puck well enough to cover Scuderi; otherwise Pouliot will have to play with Scuds or one of Pouliot or Cole will be in the top 4 and Lovejoy gets a chance with Scuderi.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hope Lovejoy gets a fair shake among Pens fans, but I expect that too often he will get nitpicked to death over faults that will mostly be imagined. Someone in that other thread actually said they don't need to have seen Lovejoy in the last few years to know he still sucks.

It's a shame, because he's a really good player these days. I'm sure I can dig up many angry posts from myself at Dan from last year's playoffs, once I saw what Lovejoy became when unshackled from his "precision stretch pass" and "oh, btw, don't worry about pucks around the crease or take a penalty under any circumstances" BS.

Pouliot-Lovejoy

That has the potential to be a very, very, very good pairing.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Last one, from Colligans website (May be what Jiggy and Capp were referring too)

Yeah, that just sounds like a lot of speculation on Colligan's part. Did the Penguins falter in 2013 because of the "psyche" of the locker room after those trades, or because Bylsma mangled player management and line combinations?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hope Lovejoy gets a fair shake among Pens fans, but I expect that too often he will get nitpicked to death over faults that will mostly be imagined. Someone in that other thread actually said they don't need to have seen Lovejoy in the last few years to know he still sucks.

It's a shame, because he's a really good player these days. I'm sure I can dig up many angry posts from myself at Dan from last year's playoffs, once I saw what Lovejoy became when unshackled from his "precision stretch pass" and "oh, btw, don't worry about pucks around the crease or take a penalty under any circumstances" BS.

He will get nitpicked no more than Despres was (and, boy, was he), but I don't know what you're suggesting...

What is the last time a Penguins player was booed or poorly treated by the crowd? I mean does Adams even get booed?

Lovejoy will get cheered at CEC, and I don't think he gives a **** about what we post on HFBoards, so I'm not sure what you're driving at.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

That has the potential to be a very, very, very good pairing.

Has anyone in this thread really commented on Lovejoy?

Because all I've seen is a Lovejoy is a better Scuderi comment which in context is a positive thing.

Also that pairing isn't going to last unless Johnston plays Ehrhoff with Scuderi which means that Scuderi is getting top 4 minutes or Ehrhoff is getting bottom pairing usage.

I don't think Pouliot has played that well.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He will get nitpicked no more than Despres was (and, boy, was he), but I don't know what you're suggesting...

What is the last time a Penguins player was booed or poorly treated by the crowd? I mean does Adams even get booed?

Lovejoy will get cheered at CEC, and I don't think he gives a **** about what we post on HFBoards, so I'm not sure what you're driving at.

He did get booed a little bit when the Penguins were introducing the players during the home opener in October.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Scuderi - Cole sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. This could be just my ignorance of Cole's abilities, but our defense looks so ugly now without a Despres in it to babysit Scuds.

Cole was actually in a similar situation babysitting STL's old slow defenseman in Jackman. Now Jackman is better than Scuds by a solid margin so...

who knows.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Different coach. Several Dmen didn't like Bylsmas way of D, BB was good at managing a roster, still unsure what Lovejoy would bring to the Pens. Sure he's improved, but does not mean he will mesh with Johnston. What if he reverts back to his Pens days of sucking?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I'm not really seeing anything all that unreasonable from you. More talking about the Megna/Gibbons>Dupuis crowd that hates a player merely because he's perceived to be blocking someone younger, even if the younger guy's totally incompetent and not all that young. It's possible you have them on ignore.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Different coach. Several Dmen didn't like Bylsmas way of D, BB was good at managing a roster, still unsure what Lovejoy would bring to the Pens. Sure he's improved, but does not mean he will mesh with Johnston. What if he reverts back to his Pens days of sucking?

You know, he is playing with a player that is prone to defensive lapses, but has immense offensive talent.

Kind of like exactly the pairing he was playing on in Anaheim with Cam Fowler?

The trade sucks, but Lovejoy was playing 20 minutes a night for Anaheim last year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not really seeing anything all that unreasonable from you. More talking about the Megna/Gibbons>Dupuis crowd that hates a player merely because he's perceived to be blocking someone younger, even if the younger guy's totally incompetent and not all that young. It's possible you have them on ignore.

I'm not going to nitpick Lovejoy, period. It's not going to bring Despres back, and me nitpicking won't help the FO learn any lessons.

I mean, there's really no point here, because if Lovejoy ***** the bed, the media will just excuse it anyhow. If Despres does well, they will just excuse it "He was ****** here, it's not the Pens fault the guy sucked every time they let him out of the house without Robby Scuderi holding his hand"

You know? I'm just going to watch Despres and enjoy hockey and whatever.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

What if his game's improved during his time in Anaheim, like Benny said himself? This board has been unbearable the past couple of days.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not going to nitpick Lovejoy, period. It's not going to bring Despres back, and me nitpicking won't help the FO learn any lessons.

I mean, there's really no point here, because if Lovejoy ***** the bed, the media will just excuse it anyhow. If Despres does well, they will just excuse it "He was ****** here, it's not the Pens fault the guy sucked every time they let him out of the house without Robby Scuderi holding his hand"

Despres = hockey.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

As far as this board goes I'm going to go on a limb and say that there are going to be quite a few undeserved minuses in the post game threads with people looking for things so they can bash the trade but in the grand scheme of things it obviously means absolutely nothing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

He'll be fine.

And Boudreau's as capricious as Dan when it comes to roster management. He'll declare a 19 year old kid his starting goaltender, then change his mind 5 days later and send him to the ECHL.

BB's just hockey smarter. Not less crazy.

As far as this board goes I'm going to go on a limb and say that there are going to be quite a few undeserved minuses in the post game threads with people looking for things so they can bash the trade but in the grand scheme of things it obviously means absolutely nothing.

That. Lot of wishful thinking goes into those pluses and minuses. Lots of points based on perception as "good guys" and "bad guys," nevermind what they're actually doing or not doing on the ice in that game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Then i guess he's improved. Board has not been unbearable, Pens front office is unbearable.

It's honestly impossible for this board to be unbearable.

If you hate Simon Despres-related threads, ignore them.

If you find certain posters unbearable, ignore them.

You can pretty easily tell if someone s going to make the kinds of posts you're interested in reading. If a certain poster is just not your cup of tea, why even bother?

"This board is unbearable" posts are unbearable. But mainly because people keep QBPs ;)

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

I think I'm falling in love with you

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You know, he is playing with a player that is prone to defensive lapses, but has immense offensive talent.

Kind of like exactly the pairing he was playing on in Anaheim with Cam Fowler?

The trade sucks, but Lovejoy was playing 20 minutes a night for Anaheim last year.

He actually has alot of games this year @ 18min+ a night and did very well. When he got those minutes, the Ducks won a lot more than they lost(17W-8L). When Despres got 18+ this year, the Pens record is almost even(10W-9L).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's honestly impossible for this board to be unbearable.

If you hate Simon Despres-related threads, ignore them.

If you find certain posters unbearable, ignore them.

You can pretty easily tell if someone s going to make the kinds of posts you're interested in reading. If a certain poster is just not your cup of tea, why even bother?

"This board is unbearable" posts are unbearable. But mainly because people keep QBPs ;)

Already put the Despres threads on my ignore list, no point talking about it anymore because damage is done. You're right about posters, i'll just add that guy to my ignore list. :laugh: it's getting longer the last few days.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He actually has alot of games this year @ 18min+ a night and did very well. When he got those minutes, the Ducks won a lot more than they lost(17W-8L). When Despres got 18+ this year, the Pens record is almost even(10W-9L).

Yeah, but bro. We lost a young asset that everyone loved, so we all have to root for the Ducks or just Despres because the Pittsburgh Penguins are the worst ran franchise in the NHL.

Also, this point needs to be said 100x times, because you know. Everyone isn't in unanimous agreement that we totally got killed in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad