GDT: Will the real Calgary Flames please stand up: Game 4 - Flames @ Avalanche, 8PM, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Hanafin-Hamonic have basically been Kris Russell x 2 this series they can't make a pass. They give up the zone entry easy and they just stand around trying to block shots.

I've been thinking the same thing, Hamonic is such a warrior because he cant prevent zone entry to save his life.

Hanifin brings nothing.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Not really. The Avs didn't really have a scoring chance in the entire first, and the Flames took it to them in the first half of the third as well as the second. 40-20 split, they're not far off.

We've been absolutely dominated this series apart from maybe 3 periods in total from 12, this is a carbon copy of our series against Vancouver in 2015. They are playing with confidence. This series is over in 6.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We're going to have to do a lot of soul-searching in the off-season again. Although, I think this season was the best chance we'll have with crop of players for the cup because of Tkachuk's ELC, Bennett's RFA status and Gio's Norris season.

At this point, I think Johnny might be gone at the end of his contract and it might be prudent to ship him out while his value is high. I've soured on Monahan quite a bit this season. Craig Conroy, while a flawed player, showed 10x the effort he does when the going gets tough.

It's Sam Bennett #1C time but I wouldn't blame him if he asked for a trade. He's been grossly misused for his entire career so far. Dude deserves to break out somewhere

Altogether, I won't be giving 19/20 nearly as much of my time. I've dedicated way too much of my time to the Flames especially over the past few years and it just hasn't been very fun.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It is time to trade Johnny. 4 games of watching him play scared. Mangiapane is the same size and still sacrifices to make plays. I know this will fall on deaf ears around here but his play is pathetic. Monahan and Lindholm were doing the heavy lifting all night and Johnny just played like a scared rat. I didn't expect him to be the best player on the team but he has been the worst Flame game 1 through game 4.

On a side note the NHL needs to look at how the officiating is done in the playoffs. IMO it needs to mirror the regular season more. You are about to lose the top 2 seeds because of the fundamental shift in how games are called.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I've been thinking the same thing, Hamonic is such a warrior because he cant prevent zone entry to save his life.

Hanifin brings nothing.
Pretty much they were great at the beginning of the year but they've completely unraveled. Hanafin makes Hamilton look like Hockey's Einstein with some of his plays.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're out to lunch man. The Avs took it to the Flames the whole game. Look at how many shots on net they had. If it wasn't for Smith, this is a 6-2 final for Colorado.
Meh, they were padding their shot totals at times in this game, especially in the first. Lobbing pucks into Smith's glove is not relevant to "dominating." I get you're frustrated, but there were large parts of this game where the Avs were the team making the mistakes, making the defensive-zone turnovers, and giving up the zone because the Flames had numbers in transition. For sure, the Avs finished stronger, but it was almost too little, too late.

I think they just need to build on the parts of the game that they controlled. The things that got us into trouble in terms of our play- the turning points in each period - were hair-pullingly frustrating decisions that can easily be avoided if they keep their cool. Things like Hamonic throwing the puck up the boards to MacKinnon when he had support behind the net, and giving them an additional minute of zone-time, or getting three guys sucked into the corner and losing the battle, or blatantly tripping a guy when you're in good position to defend. Ugh.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

ohuhu7

Jan 26, 2019
You're out to lunch man. The Avs took it to the Flames the whole game. Look at how many shots on net they had. If it wasn't for Smith, this is a 6-2 final for Colorado.
Flames did carry the play for large portions of the game, but the Avs looked more dangerous and had more jump when they tilted the ice.

Reactions: tmurfin

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Start Rittch game 5, he went 3-0 against these ****s. Not blaming Smith at all here, it's clear even if he plays the best game of his life we're going to lose somehow with him in net.

Bench Neal and do whatever you can to get rid of him this off-season. Piss poor leadership from him all season, sulks and slow as ****

Smith has been absolutely outstanding notwithstanding the Avs series lead. I don't see how you can justify benching him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It is time to trade Johnny. 4 games of watching him play scared. Mangiapane is the same size and still sacrifices to make plays. I know this will fall on deaf ears around here but his play is pathetic. Monahan and Lindholm were doing the heavy lifting all night and Johnny just played like a scared rat. I didn't expect him to be the best player on the team but he has been the worst Flame game 1 through game 4.

On a side note the NHL needs to look at how the officiating is done in the playoffs. IMO it needs to mirror the regular season more. You are about to lose the top 2 seeds because of the fundamental shift in how games are called.
Monahan?

Heavy Lifting?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Skrusty #1Cs are supposed to be able to carry the puck they don't defer to their 5'8 wingers. They don't have their RW play defence for them. They sure as hell don't need the puck served on a silver platter to be even kind of effective offensively.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The one thing I'm extremely frustrated with is James Neal. He was brought in to make the team better, but he doesn't really look like an NHL player at the moment. He could get away with it in the reduced intensity of the regular season, but it's sticking out like a sore thumb right now. If you can't skate with NHL players, and you can't find open ice, and you don't have an elite shot (which sadly appears to be the case), then what exactly can you do to make up for being behind the play defensively?

I have to say, I hated the Brouwer signing from the start, but I didn't see this one coming with Neal. I always thought he was a tough guy to play against.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
New coach, new support players, ITS THE f***ING CORE. Gaudreau or Monahan need to step the f*** up or pack it in.

I’m done sticking up for Neal. The guy is garbage on skates. Treliving needs to deal with that situation, Brouwer 2.0, same shit player minus physicality, and oh, lucky us, he’s more expensive

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018

Nothing wrong with the officiating. The playoffs are supposed to be physical hard nosed. Both the Lightning and Flames will be gone because the teams are made up of soft small players with no grit or heart. Iginla and Fleury had 10 times the heart of these bums. Jarome would have buried the winner and punched a hole in Landeskog’s face.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Meh, they were padding their shot totals at times in this game, especially in the first. Lobbing pucks into Smith's glove is not relevant to "dominating." I get you're frustrated, but there were large parts of this game where the Avs were the team making the mistakes, making the defensive-zone turnovers, and giving up the zone because the Flames had numbers in transition. For sure, the Avs finished stronger, but it was almost too little, too late.

I think they just need to build on the parts of the game that they controlled. The things that got us into trouble in terms of our play- the turning points in each period - were hair-pullingly frustrating decisions that can easily be avoided if they keep their cool. Things like Hamonic throwing the puck up the boards to MacKinnon when he had support behind the net, and giving them an additional minute of zone-time, or getting three guys sucked into the corner and losing the battle, or blatantly tripping a guy when you're in good position to defend. Ugh.

The Avs held us to the perimeter way more than we did.

CF: 50-73 (40.65%)
FF: 37-56 (39.78%)
SF: 31-45 (40.79%)
SCF: 22-38 (36.67%)
HDCF: 13-19 (40.63%)
xGF: 1.93-3.69 (34.33%)

You're lying to yourself BIG time if you think we played a good game.

Flames were dominated... again

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Smith has been absolutely outstanding notwithstanding the Avs series lead. I don't see how you can justify benching him.

You don't have to justify it, our season is hanging by a thread here. It's a good thing I'm not coach because I would've started Rittich this series. Again, I'm not blaming Smith at all. He's been all star quality, it's a hail-Mary move but what do I know.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
At least we can hang our hat on the fact that we had the statistically best playoff goalie of all time and did nothing with him
CLASSIC Flames. Struggle to find a replacement for Kipper for years, get a goalie putting up a vintage top notch kipper-esque playoff performance and we absolutely lay an egg. Can’t make this shit up if you tried.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Avs held us to the perimeter way more than we did.

CF: 50-73 (40.65%)
FF: 37-56 (39.78%)
SF: 31-45 (40.79%)
SCF: 22-38 (36.67%)
HDCF: 13-19 (40.63%)
xGF: 1.93-3.69 (34.33%)

You're lying to yourself BIG time if you think we played a good game.

Flames were dominated... again

We didn't play a good game, because the stretches where we were bad we were extremely bad. All I said was that there were good chunks of this one where we were playing very effective hockey, and if we just sustain that, we'll be okay.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Mangiapane - Ryan - Czarnik
Frolik - Dube - Hathaway

or something along those lines.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
All I know is I desperately want a Matthew Tkachuk Friendship Tour T-Shirt.
The Rat King shirt is sick af too, not sure I can wear it knowing there’s only one true Rat King though..
u7gt3kbabev11.jpg

Reactions: Migos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad