GDT: Will the real Calgary Flames please stand up: Game 4 - Flames @ Avalanche, 8PM, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Just a travesty that in games where we are devoid of a forecheck that Sam Bennett gets no trust or respect from Peters.

There’s just no way you dress Neal again, ever.

I’m shocked at how bad we’ve looked. Like we need to a full scale retool of this team because we’re not fast and not physical at all for playoffs hockey. I don’t remember being this thoroughly dominated by a team.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Nothing wrong with the officiating. The playoffs are supposed to be physical hard nosed. Both the Lightning and Flames will be gone because the teams are made up of soft small players with no grit or heart. Iginla and Fleury had 10 times the heart of these bums.

Clutching, grabbing, slashing is not hard nosed hockey. It is a way for marginal hacks to remain relevant in a league where speed ruled during the regular season. I have no problems with the big hits... I have no problem increasing the threshold on interference. There is no way there should not have been a penalty when Smith was run skates first. It was all an attempt to injure Smith.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
The Rat King shirt is sick af too, not sure I can wear it knowing there’s only one true Rat King though..
u7gt3kbabev11.jpg

Flames gotta start dabbling them dark arts, bruh.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Avs top line outplayed our top line so badly. How the heck can you win with that?

I know it was going to be bad when Johnny was fishing for cheap points instead of getting ready for the playoff...

Jankowski and Neal...too slow to be in the NHL...they bring nothing, waste of size

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Lol I can’t believe we’re wasting a Norris trophy level season, and a Conn Smythe worthy goaltending performance with this limp team. Oi

Reactions: flames23 and Migos

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think the good news is that we're set on D and likely goaltending (for at least a year). Bad news is that I don't have faith in our top forwards anymore.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Clutching, grabbing, slashing is not hard nosed hockey. It is a way for marginal hacks to remain relevant in a league where speed ruled during the regular season. I have no problems with the big hits... I have no problem increasing the threshold on interference. There is no way there should not have been a penalty when Smith was run skates first. It was all an attempt to injure Smith.

It's irrelevant...we didnt lose because of the ref.

Ref is not even the top 10 reasons why we lost.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The most frustrating part is that Games 2 and 4 were within our grasp, whether or not we played to our potential. Such similar stories. Had the lead late and couldn't hold it, had great chances to win in OT, and then lost due to the game-breaking talent on the other team. So close, yet it's now so far.

It's not impossible, though.

Reactions: tmurfin

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It’s done. Team has fallen apart. It should’ve been clear with the top line going bone dry they weren’t just turning it on.

First off, we ain’t blowing it up. Sorry people, but a 50 win season is pretty damn impressive. It sucks, but it is what it is. I’d absolutely do everything in my power to move Neal at this point. Kylington and a first please....

Otherwise, idk what we can do. Maybe add a #2C? Too bad we blew our wad on f***ing Neal.
The most frustrating part is that Games 2 and 4 were within our grasp, whether or not we played to our potential. Such similar stories. Had the lead late and couldn't hold it, had great chances to win in OT, and then lost due to the game-breaking talent on the other team. So close, yet it's now so far.

It’s over.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the good news is that we're set on D and likely goaltending (for at least a year). Bad news is that I don't have faith in our top forwards anymore.
A lot of knee-jerking, but good teams lose in the playoffs every season. Believe it or not, the same team can have very different results from one year to the next just based on whether playoffs occur during one of their highs or one of their lows.

Does anyone in here, for instance, believe that Tampa has a fundamentally flawed roster? They're completely stacked, but they got swept anyway.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

It’s not impossible, but without a dramatic change, there’s 0 chance we’re running these 3 straight. Zip. Johnny’s probably got his bags packed to head back to NJ already.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

JG/Monahan vs McKinnon/Rantenan
apple-is-replacing-the-pistol-emoji-with-a-toy-gun.jpg

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Objectively we put up a better fight against the Ducks two years ago. What we’re seeing this year is pathetic.

“Imagine if the Flames had solid goaltending, they could go deep!”

Well they got it. And the rest of the team decided to f*** off.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They definitely have the better top guys, without a doubt. But that doesn't decide series.

It definitely does to me. McKinnon/Rantenen, 2 winning goals

That's not even counting how McKinnon dominated them

If the first line can even score a goal or two, the outcome would have been difference. We were outplayed badly but the scores were close in game 2 and 4.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A lot of knee-jerking, but good teams lose in the playoffs every season. Believe it or not, the same team can have very different results from one year to the next just based on whether playoffs occur during one of their highs or one of their lows.

Does anyone in here, for instance, believe that Tampa has a fundamentally flawed roster? They're completely stacked, but they got swept anyway.
It's one thing to lose. But we're being categorically outclassed in every department except for goaltending. I think Tampa's problem was arrogance and the face that the fact they never dealt with a cold stretch this season.

5-on-5, it's been ugly for us. Our fourth line has more even strength goals than our top line and that just can't be the case when you're 4 games into a series. I also think Peters is a bit shell-shocked right now. It's his first taste of the playoffs and he hasn't been able to prepare this team as best as he could.

To me, it does speak volumes that this core has gotten progressively worse in the playoffs over our last 3 times. The guys seem to be buckling under the pressure

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's one thing to lose. But we're being categorically outclassed in every department except for goaltending. I think Tampa's problem was arrogance and the face that the fact they never dealt with a cold stretch this season.

5-on-5, it's been ugly for us. Our fourth line has more even strength goals than our top line and that just can't be the case when you're 4 games into a series. I also think Peters is a bit shell-shocked right now. It's his first taste of the playoffs and he hasn't been able to prepare this team as best as he could.

To me, it does speak volumes that this core has gotten progressively worse in the playoffs over our last 3 times. The guys seem to be buckling under the pressure

I think with proper preparation, perhaps Johnny can change...he is a competitive guy. Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm and the young defense can improve.

Monahan/Brodie/Jank and Neal, I have no hope for. They do not have the competitiveness or too slow to play this game.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Monahan was always just a plug, role player heavily relying on gaudreau, having no 1c skills. I was heavily for trading him when his price was high. Now it was finally fully exposed. actually his performance was not bad it was brutal he did absolutely nothing over four games.

But if u said some wrong on him on calgarypuck you were labeled with many ugly names or directly blocked because you are negativist.

Gaudreau i'm critical of his performance but i knew he would be very limited to do things just on his own without any help from monahan and lindholm. i believe he could be despite his size very good player in playoffs too if he played with some more skilled center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad