Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I just hope that when the day comes it’s because she was the best candidate and not a PR stunt hire. There’s women playing at the National level that are extremely intelligent and would make good coaches etc when their career is over but I don’t think a lot of them would like the grind of trying to move up the coaching ranks when their career is over.
So Rheaume isn’t gonna get the first coaching gig?

Reactions: McShogun99

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If the potential pool of head coaches is comprised of 99% men and 1% women, and only a tiny proportion of that pool ever becomes a head coach, you would be surprised to find more than a single woman occupying a position. This is the state of affairs in lots of different industries. This one is no different. Until the time comes when there's positively hordes of young women trying to coach professional male hockey you won't see very many female coaches if any at all. As it stands now there are TONS of ex-hockey playing men who try to get into coaching. Very few of them succeed. At any given moment there's only 30 positions available to a pool comprising tens of thousands of applicants. Good luck.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'd love to see that. That said, given that this league just recycles coaches time and time again, I have my doubts. When's the last time a European coach was in the league? Or a really off the wall, outside the box hire that wasn't a recycle job or promoting someone internally? I'm all for having a female coach one day, but if teams can't even bring themselves to hire very accomplished Europeans, I doubt we'll see a woman behind the bench any time soon.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sure ya maybe. Probably not anytime soon. Would take one hell of a woman surely. There's some real idiots that get HCing jobs in the NHL, see no reason we should limit that to one gender.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Except female only is never really considered discrimination. Seems to be the norm.
xShB_5.gif

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Again I never said that but men are indeed better on average at coaching male hockey.....which makes it incredibly unlikely at least for several decades that a woman will even get her first NHL head coaching job. Women coaches aren't the best option for coaching the best male hockey players in the world. If NHL GMs truly wanted their best chance to win they would get the best coach for the job.
Where is this "average" that you're coming up with? You just make this shit up as you go. :laugh:

You don't have a single data point. You don't have any justification for the drivel you're spewing.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
So what you're saying is that because a woman hasn't done it before, they shouldn't? Is there any reason you can argue that a woman SHOULDN'T coach in the NHL, other than that they should stick to women's sports?

By this logic, how can women teach "young, high testosterone men?" Are you saying that high school and college athletes shouldn't have female teachers/professors?

There's absolutely way to answer this in the negative that wouldn't have you shitting your britches; but yes.

Men and women are different. Two ends of the same stick. We learn differently, we grow differently, we act differently. Yet, we're equal in our experiences.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Portland Trail Blazers are considering Becky Hammon and Dawn Staley for their HC position. And Orlando is also considering Hammon as well.

So the NBA may have a female HC at some point. NFL has some assistant coaches that are female. I think a Female NFL HC is a long way away.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Where is this "average" that you're coming up with? You just make this shit up as you go. :laugh:

You don't have a single data point. You don't have any justification for the drivel you're spewing.
wow you won't get any numbers back with that attitude don't worry about it.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The question was redundant. I know you don't have a single number, rationale, or really anything to back up your absurd and insulting assertions.
Here's Why Women's Teams Are Coached By Men (forbes.com)
Why there's been a big drop in women coaches under Title IX - CSMonitor.com
Opinion | Where Are All the Women Coaches? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

but hey i'm a dirty liar no way anyone could of found out anything within 10 seconds on the internet......but hey insulting me over an opinion that's supported by general census around organizations around the world.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I feel like if it does happen it'll be in either the most Liberal city (Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles, maybe Vancouver if the Aquillini's are out), or just if the conversation being how we need more woman involved within the game. But it's more likely we see a female coach/GM in the NHL before there is a female who plays a whole regular-season game, which will probably happen after violence is permanently removed from the game.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Here's Why Women's Teams Are Coached By Men (forbes.com)
Why there's been a big drop in women coaches under Title IX - CSMonitor.com
Opinion | Where Are All the Women Coaches? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

but hey i'm a dirty liar no way anyone could of found out anything within 10 seconds on the internet......but hey insulting me over an opinion that's supported by general census around organizations around the world.
Imagine citing a f***ing Forbes article and thinking you're somehow correct. :laugh:

You've said some really disgusting things here and it's probably best if you don't double down (triple down?) on them. And I hope you realize that those "articles" are purely based on the misogynistic drivel you seem to believe. You're using "out there" opinions to validate yourself.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They'd probably have to be innovative in some way or have incredible results at other levels because otherwise why take the risk? But it could happen. It's not like anything physically would be holding them back.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Imagine citing a f***ing Forbes article and thinking you're somehow correct. :laugh:

You've said some really disgusting things here and it's probably best if you don't double down (triple down?) on them. And I hope you realize that those "articles" are purely based on the misogynistic drivel you seem to believe. You're using "out there" opinions to validate yourself.
Actually I haven't people have basically said no(or at least say not any time soon) to the OP title and that's how you people want to see it and get mad when people try to bring up points against it like it some kind of crime. Don't get mad over an opinion its not like I'm saying the sky is red here.

Last edited:

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It's difficult to say, honestly. A woman can theoretically hold any job off of the rink and perhaps someday maybe even a goaltender if some phenom appears eventually, but in the end, the double standard is always going to be ridiculously high for them to enter in. Coach is a more difficult position to enter in than even GM because you have to lead and hold the locker room accountable and to earn the respect of a room full of jacked-up, half-naked, males ranging from ages 17-40 is a very high bar. For a woman to come in and do that they'd have to be so ridiculously and unquestionably good to instantly halt any question of them being there and open the doors needed to get there.

You can argue it's unfair but any woman in sports is going to face the same and there is honestly little that can be done it. I was just talking with a friend a week ago about how our local AAA baseball team hired a female groundskeeper and she is the third ever in the nation. To get the job, she had to double major two degrees and triple minor in three lesser fields and then she had to be the very best for a few years part-time while being paid less than $15/hour. Even with the promotion, the average salary of a AAA head groundskeeper is $33,711. She had to climb a mountain to essentially get a warehouse job's salary just to get her foot in the door with no promise of ever moving forward from there, good luck paying student loans on that...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Alright here. Lots to unpack. Bear with me. I'll preface this with... "YIKES"

because charismatic knowledgeable men in coaching are far superior than their female counterparts and will actually be able to get a rise out of the team/players when they need to motivate it'd be awfully hard to get NHL players to buy into what they are selling.

That's bullshit and you know it. Charisma is charisma. You can't possibly argue that men are "far superior" to women based on "charisma."

If I tried thinking it that way then I would be the discriminate one I just think its funny when people are trying to make an argument that the only defense seems to be that everyone who argues against the OP statement is a woman hater when they are just realists.

You are clearly a woman hater or just trying to stir up shit. Making wild and crazy assertions doesn't make you a realist, it makes you a dumb ass.

I do wonder if some people here haven't been in competitive sports like Lacrosse, Football, Hockey, Rugby, etc above grade school level. Baseball, Soccer, Basketball are pretty soft in comparison.

I'm sure you yourself haven't competed at a high level.

It actually has a lot to do with it when you have actually been one of those players under at team in that type of locker room experience if you don't have that type of experience then you are definitely missing a very important experience in understanding what a coach needs to be able to do. I've seen people here say that a coach doesn't have to be a hardass when that's simply not the case even if they are dealing with adults in a sport where bodies are constantly being used to smash each other.

Women can't be tough or hardasses? That's not true. Some of the toughest people I know are women.

While they might be able to scare some into your average person the top athletes in the world aren't going to be phased as much. Also most women are used to coaching women most of the time which hurts their experience a ton because its simply not even the same most male coaches admit there is a massive difference when they move over to coach a women's team since their leagues often have men coaching.

Ohhhh so women can only "scare" (or motivate) normal people and not professional athletes.... :laugh:
And women being used to coach women is such a detriment to their ability.... :sarcasm:

You also have no proof for it so.......

You're kidding, right?

I'm simply saying they can't do as well as the best male hockey coaches in the world or to put in better phrase not do it well enough to make it as an NHL head coach they can be GMs reasonably any time soon as that isn't a task that favors men while coaching does.

False.

Again I never said that but men are indeed better on average at coaching male hockey.....which makes it incredibly unlikely at least for several decades that a woman will even get her first NHL head coaching job. Women coaches aren't the best option for coaching the best male hockey players in the world. If NHL GMs truly wanted their best chance to win they would get the best coach for the job.

Uhhh.... yes you did. You literally f***ing said multiple times that women can't do as well as men.

While woman have been getting some coaching(mostly assistant/minor) jobs they've also lost a ton of job head coaching women's teams over the years because a lot of them favored the coaches that had better results on average.....a lot of women's national teams are already coached by men too.

Those are strange examples for the shitty point you're trying to make.

After typing all this out, I've realized that you're not actually serious. You're doing what some few people on the internet like to do, in order to create controversy and stir up trouble. No one is taking your "opinion" seriously.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Alright here. Lots to unpack. Bear with me. I'll preface this with... "YIKES"

That's bullshit and you know it. Charisma is charisma. You can't possibly argue that men are "far superior" to women based on "charisma."

You are clearly a woman hater or just trying to stir up shit. Making wild and crazy assertions doesn't make you a realist, it makes you a dumb ass.

I'm sure you yourself haven't competed at a high level.

Women can't be tough or hardasses? That's not true. Some of the toughest people I know are women.

Ohhhh so women can only "scare" (or motivate) normal people and not professional athletes.... :laugh:
And women being used to coach women is such a detriment to their ability.... :sarcasm:

You're kidding, right?

False.

Uhhh.... yes you did. You literally f***ing said multiple times that women can't do as well as men.

Those are strange examples for the shitty point you're trying to make.

After typing all this out, I've realized that you're not actually serious. You're doing what some few people on the internet like to do, in order to create controversy and stir up trouble. No one is taking your "opinion" seriously.
We are talking about being one of the best 32 hockey coaches in the world....they have to be BETTER than 99.99% of the men applying for the same job they aren't even head coaches of women in the leagues ranked just under the NHL yet so statistically it doesn't look like its happening any time soon. Don't get mad about reality its hard for a ton of men to simply get the job too as 99%+ of them fail to do so.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Just so I get it right what you’re saying. You think women should play in the nhl with the men? Same rules apply to everything during the game and no special treatment?

I can't imagine mixing women in with the men and then somehow having "special treatment" during a game.

Hey- y'all were the ones comparing hockey to Special Forces. All I'm saying is- they have decreed there will now be women in Special Forces, and there are a couple (which I don't agree with, but for different reasons besides raw physicality).

If we are going to go down that road, then there should be women in professional sports too. If you don't mind them being slain on a battlefield you shouldn't worry about them getting banged up on the ice or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan