Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We are talking about being one of the best 32 hockey coaches in the world....they have to be BETTER than 99.99% of the men applying for the same job they aren't even head coaches of women in the leagues ranked just under the NHL yet so statistically it doesn't look like its happening any time soon. Don't get mad about reality its hard for a ton of men to simply get the job too as 99%+ of them fail to do so.
That's not the point you've been making though, and you know it. You've been saying that women aren't good enough to do it, and pretending that you have proof of that. The only thing you've proved here is that you're a misogynist.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Alright here. Lots to unpack. Bear with me. I'll preface this with... "YIKES"

After typing all this out, I've realized that you're not actually serious. You're doing what some few people on the internet like to do, in order to create controversy and stir up trouble. No one is taking your "opinion" seriously.

You're right. He can't be serious on this.

Reactions: Tryamw

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That's not the point you've been making though, and you know it. You've been saying that women aren't good enough to do it, and pretending that you have proof of that. The only thing you've proved here is that you're a misogynist.
its my opinion based on personal experience and on what I think of male athletes in the major leagues who often believe they know everything and won't show it but they won't let a woman tell them what to do based on their "machoness" c'mon man personally I wouldn't have a problem with a women coaching me but you'd be surprised how many entitled athletes there are out there that won't listen. But hey its just like my opinion man not a fact until someone proves its scientifically and no one has "debunked" it either so please just don't get mad when people don't agree with the OP for certain reasons.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
its my opinion based on personal experience and on what I think of male athletes in the major leagues who often believe they know everything and won't show it but they won't let a woman tell them what to do based on their "machoness" c'mon man personally I wouldn't have a problem with a women coaching me but you'd be surprised how many entitled athletes there are out there that won't listen. But hey its just like my opinion man not a fact until someone proves its scientifically and no one has "debunked" it either so please just don't get mad when people don't agree with the OP for certain reasons.
You're moving the goalposts with every single post. Let's get back to what you started with. You've said that women can't do it. That's wrong. Now you're backpedalling after trying to double down. I've said my piece here. Not interested in having this discussion with you anymore.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
You're moving the goalposts with every single post. Let's get back to what you started with. You've said that women can't do it. That's wrong. Now you're backpedalling after trying to double down. I've said my piece here. Not interested in having this discussion with you anymore.

That's why I quit discussing it. The goalposts kept moving.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Well you are right about that I said the best male hockey coaches will do a better job in the NHL because of all those reasons. I don't hate women in fact in a sport like soccer, tennis , baseball, etc they can easily coach a team/person of man/men because those men aren't going to be as entitled nor as hyped up as the aggressive counterparts in sports.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
It's difficult to say, honestly. A woman can theoretically hold any job off of the rink and perhaps someday maybe even a goaltender if some phenom appears eventually, but in the end, the double standard is always going to be ridiculously high for them to enter in. Coach is a more difficult position to enter in than even GM because you have to lead and hold the locker room accountable and to earn the respect of a room full of jacked-up, half-naked, males ranging from ages 17-40 is a very high bar. For a woman to come in and do that they'd have to be so ridiculously and unquestionably good to instantly halt any question of them being there and open the doors needed to get there.
Honestly I think that's absurd.

You've never been around many women if you think they aren't something that can intimidate a 20 year old.

The problem isn't that women can't do it.

The problem is that it is so incredibly rare any woman would want to do it.

There's a ton of statistical trends that would suggest a woman truly interested in coaching wouldn't be competent.

First you need to be so good at understanding the game, that you can coach it without ever playing in a competent league at competitive speeds and competitive intensities. It's entirely possible, but it's rare even among men.

Second if you do break the glass ceiling and owners look to actual competence for coaching choices instead of some old boys club circle jerk, men are coming too. The Kyle Dubas's of the world will be flocking in for the same jobs.

Third if you're hiring someone based on an understanding of the game and not experience, statistically men will have an advantage. Testosterone does a lot to rewire your brain. Men are less cognitively stable than women. Men typify the more extreme behaviors of the human mind. The people with the best spatial/genetic abilities are mostly men, as well as the people at the higher end of the IQ spectrum. That doesn't mean men are smarter than women. It means a handful of men are very smart.

Fourth women have different temperaments. Women are less aggressive, less obsessed with things, etc. To be a good coach you treat your players like objects, and you tell those objects to smash those other objects. It's rare you're gonna find a women who's just cool to send someone out and to end up getting a broken arm etc.

Finally, you have to find a woman truly obsessed with the sport. There can be female sports fans etc. But it is rare they have a proper obsession, especially if they were never able to play at a high level.

It's a simple fact of science, while the overlap between genders is massive among ordinary people, when you're talking about the far end extreme of competitive sports women rarely stack up. You need to be hyper competitive, ruthless, have a very high spatial awareness and you have to be totally obsessed with hockey. You can't just have one element of a competitive coach, you need ever single one, and you need each of those traits on display when you're being recruited.

I have no idea why it's seen as progress, when a woman enters what is essentially a bloodsport.

I'm not saying that women can't thrive in the sports environment. I'm sure a female GM/Agent/Scout would probably do very well, as they can have serious biological advantages in the human factors part of a team. Women are typically better at resolving conflicts, better at reading people(especially important when doing good scouting/drafting), etc.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I think so. It’s just all about getting the right opportunities and making the right relationships. Unfortunately, it’s tough for any new coach to get hired. Most coaches are just recycled for years.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I hope some in here are blessed with many daughters.
Bizarre statement, I wouldn't let my son step foot in a checking league, why is it all of a sudden different with a daughter?

If you're bothered by the fact your daughter can't cut it in hockey, maybe you should rethink your priorities as a parent. I get we all share an obsession, but at the end of the day hockey is a "game", a game where everything reduces to 60 minutes of running around in circles(occasionally smashing into walls) chasing a piece of rubber.

The alternative to "feminism" isn't believing your hobby makes your gender superior, it's acknowledging that people of your gender seem to fixate on really stupid time wasting hobbies, that requires more brain damage than learning. .

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bizarre statement, I wouldn't let my son step foot in a checking league, why is it all of a sudden different with a daughter?

If you're bothered by the fact your daughter can't cut it in hockey, maybe you should rethink your priorities as a parent. I get we all share an obsession, but at the end of the day hockey is a "game", a game where everything reduces to 60 minutes of running around in circles(occasionally smashing into walls) chasing a piece of rubber.

The alternative to "feminism" isn't believing your hobby makes your gender superior, it's acknowledging that people of your gender seem to fixate on really stupid time wasting hobbies, that requires more brain damage than learning. .

went waaay over your head.

First I dont need a soap box lecture on how I should have raised my kids or grandkids.
Nor on hockey and what type of game it is.
I had to stop playing after 3 decades. But still am involved.
It has to do with the broad brushes being painted. Yours being one of the broadest I may add.
There is nothing stopping a female from doing it someday. To answer the question.
For those that believe it cant happen due to sex I do wish them daughters. They either change their perspective or sit across from them and tell them ‘no’ only boys can do ………whatever.

Lastly never think you know me. My life experience. Or what , to correct you, I should have done with my children or grandchildren.

Or assume I know nothing about a game Ive followed since Original 6 and played during a loooong period of that time.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
For those that believe it cant happen due to sex I do wish them daughters. They either change their perspective or sit across from them and tell them ‘no’ only boys can do ………whatever.
giphy.gif

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

This post is a bizarre response to a pretty normal statement.

The poster you quoted pretty clearly did that in response to the apparent dislike/mistrust/whatever they call it, towards women by a few posters here. The comment was meant to suggest that then maybe they'd gain some perspective.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This post is a bizarre response to a pretty normal statement.

The poster you quoted pretty clearly did that in response to the apparent dislike/mistrust/whatever they call it, towards women by a few posters here. The comment was meant to suggest that then maybe they'd gain some perspective.

Correctamundo.

Some while thinking theyre the smartest person in the room cant see the forest for the trees.

You get it. My compliments.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Correctamundo.

Some while thinking theyre the smartest person in the room cant see the forest for the trees.

You get it. My compliments.
I'm mostly just disappointed that I'm being congratulated for something that I think should be universally understood. That's not on you, of course.

My biggest issue is that for all the native English speakers out there, few can actually articulate what they mean. Many people misspeak (or lie) for various reasons.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

First I dont need a soap box lecture on how I should have raised my kids or grandkids.
It has to do with the broad brushes being painted. Yours being one of the broadest I may add.
There is nothing stopping a female from doing it someday. To answer the question.

Lastly never think you know me. My life experience. Or what , to correct you, I should have done with my children or grandchildren.

Or assume I know nothing about a game Ive followed since Original 6 and played during a loooong period of that time.

Great post.

It’s mind boggling that someone can just use sweeping generalizations for an entire gender and believe yeah, they’re right.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Hire the best person available but I don’t think any women have the credentials to be named head coach of an NHL team yet.
Pretty much comes down to this. There would first need to be female head coaches of canadian junior teams, then ECHL teams, then AHL teams and then there would be a big enough sample size that one of them is in line for a NHL head coaching job.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
The first steps towards women coaching in the NHL are here with the Leafs working with Wickenheiser and the Blackhawks hiring Kendall Coyne Schofield as a development coach.

In response to the ridiculous comments about young men not listening to women, I'm just going to share the tweet below. Seems to work fine for an Original Six team.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021

Sure, but I'm not the one starting this conversation, with the implication that objecting to female coaches equates to being poor dads.

So is hockey saving the world? Do they not run in circles? Is the whole thing not entirely made up and imaginary?

Except you know statistical probability.

So wait, you think I'm gonna tell my NHL son he's capable because of his junk?

I ain't selling any of my future kids a fantasy regardless of gender.

The same statistical odds that tell me girls can't play hockey, are the same odds that tell me my handsome genetics are not producing an nhl super star.

Again this is where the self awareness comes in. My gender doesn't make me special. Just because I might meet someone in my life with stellar masculine genetics has no affect on whether I'm capable of being a coach/player etc.

Just because girls can't do something doesn't mean every boy can. There's extraordinary people out there, your gender isn't the deciding factor.

Again you're getting upset about my broad brushes and are doing the same?

Believing in the hockey gods for thousands upon thousands of years, doesn't make the hockey gods real, that's up to gary bettman.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
Great post.

It’s mind boggling that someone can just use sweeping generalizations for an entire gender and believe yeah, they’re right.
They're not sweeping generalisations they are quite specific.

How many 6 foot 6 women have you ever met? How many can bench their body weight?

That's the magic of math.

Overlapping-distributions-of-Agreeableness-for-men-and-women-Vertical-axis-indicates.png

This is reflective of actual science. Disagreeable behavior is heavily associated with gender.

There's a ton of overlap if you're somewheres in the middle. But when you goto the extremes(the part that matters when talking about the cream of the crop), there's very few women.

And that's just one component.

Handbook of Pediatric Neuropsychology

You can do some of your own research. Prenatal testosterone does a whole lot for spatial reasoning etc.

These aren't sweeping generalisations, these are scientific facts.

And these facts add up.

Yes for 100 Chara's of the world there may be a Charette.

But the odds the Charette also happened to be as strong as chara and have his temperament etc is almost non existant.

There's only so many billions of people on the planet.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

How many 6 foot 6 women have you ever met? How many can bench their body weight?

Overlapping-distributions-of-Agreeableness-for-men-and-women-Vertical-axis-indicates.png

This is reflective of actual science. Disagreeable behavior is heavily associated with gender.

There's a ton of overlap if you're somewheres in the middle. But when you goto the extremes(the part that matters when talking about the cream of the crop), there's very few women.

You can do some of your own research. Prenatal testosterone does a whole lot for spatial reasoning etc.

And these facts add up.

But the odds the Charette also happened to be as strong as chara and have his temperament etc is almost non existant.

What does how many 6'6 women there are have to do with whether a woman will coach in the NHL?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

And these facts add up.

What does any of that have to do with a woman potentially coaching an nhl team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad