Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't get it Hitchcock was indeed a hardass nothing prevented him from being so. He was actually considered a pretty intimidating and scary coach. A guy on the bench is not the same one you will see as the one in the locker room.
He never played hockey or at least at a high level, this thread is wild why are people talking about women being in special forces or being able to play in the NHL when its about if they can coach.

I've had women ceos and bosses working in the trades im sure they could coach hockey players.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You are projecting it on them.....you got it backwards. I really wonder if any of you have been in a men's locker room after a loss in that type of environment. :popcorn:

I'm curious...were you scarred by one of these abusive coaches?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I could see female trainers making an appearance in the future. Female head coaches? Sure but it won’t be for a very long time.
Women already dominate the skating coach field , which is already a type of trainer . Idk how long is a long time but you just need a lady that is charismatic smart and loves hockey that is given a chance. Not much to ask for

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Probably, but it'll be after we see female GMs, female assistant coaches, female athletic trainers, etc.

idk whicch one will happen first, but I would not be surprised in the slightest if the first female GM hired a female coach (first or not)

as for the OP's question - I don't get the problem. As long as they're good at what they do. there's no physiological barriers/differences that would stop such a woman like there are for the on-ice athletes

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Some don't good luck with everyone who is naïve enough to think that all will.
Players don't respect male coaches all the time . Its the gms job to either move that player or find a different coach .

If the star players respect the coach most others will fall in line.

If its anyone else you just trade them or toss them to the ahl to ride a bus. Same as with a male coach .

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm curious...were you scarred by one of these abusive coaches?
Abusive? Proper coaching is now seen as being abusive so yeah guess the people arguing for clearly haven't been part of a organized sports(at least not like hockey, football) team above middle school.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So you're saying that women can't be as tough on players as men? Why? What proof do you have? Women can chew people out too. You do know that, right?

I'll tell you that some of the toughest people I know are women. I know a few who'd make a guy like Torts look soft.

Torts look pretty soft thouguh. Have you seen him with dogs? :D

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Abusive? Proper coaching is now seen as being abusive so yeah guess the people arguing for clearly haven't been part of a organized sports(at least not like hockey, football) team above middle school.
Why is your idea of coaching proper coaching ?

If a women came in and destroyed the league wouldn't that then be proper coaching?

Yours seems to be yelling and scare tactics which most coaches don't do very often

Plus any NHL player could completely destroy any coach other than maybe rod the bod sooo

Reactions: SoupNazi

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Why is your idea of coaching proper coaching ?

If a women came in and destroyed the league wouldn't that then be proper coaching?

Yours seems to be yelling and scare tactics which most coaches don't do very often
If a monkey came in and taught the Sabres to win 82 games would that be proper coaching? I'm not here to describe what ifs and that isn't "scare tactics". But hey all these people arguing and I bet they can't name one female coach even in the leagues lower than the NHL without looking it up and that includes assistant and other minor coaching jobs.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If a monkey came in and taught the Sabres to win 82 games would that be proper coaching? I'm not here to describe what ifs and that isn't "scare tactics". But hey all these people arguing and I bet they can't name one female coach even in the leagues lower than the NHL without looking it up and that includes assistant and other minor coaching jobs.
Nah I couldn't but I would be able to name that monkey after it won 82 games on the sabers and won the Adam's.

So yes that would be proper coaching.

Idk your argument because yeah if anything lead the last place team to a cup next year I'd be super impressed .

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

well I had a friend who played at the collegiate level and became a coach... so I could name one :D

Another point not discussed is that, from what I've seen, women tend to try to promote women's hockey, and they'll go coach there. There's just not enough women involved in men's hockey - the talent pool is real'y small.

Also obviously linked to that are connections. Everyone using the srgument that a lot of NHL coaches have played high level of hockey forget the power of the connections (and money) made along the way. Most (all?) female pros could not purchase a junior team to GM/coach with their buddies and "climb up the ladder".

Do you real'y believe that the best 32 hockey coaches in the world are in the NHL?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
well I had a friend who played at the collegiate level and became a coach... so I could name one :D

Another point not discussed is that, from what I've seen, women tend to try to promote women's hockey, and they'll go coach there. There's just not enough women involved in men's hockey - the talent pool is real'y small.

Also obviously linked to that are connections. Everyone using the srgument that a lot of NHL coaches have played high level of hockey forget the power of the connections (and money) made along the way. Most (all?) female pros could not purchase a junior team to GM/coach with their buddies and "climb up the ladder".

Do you real'y believe that the best 32 hockey coaches in the world are in the NHL?
Its really more of a statement that you have to be one of the best in whole world to make it there. From the articles I brought in and others have only shown that numbers in collegiate sports have dramatically lowered for women coaching women in the past 50 years back in 1972 they were 90%+ of the teams out there now they are roughly around 42%(34% for women collegiate hockey) which doesn't really show any type of growth towards female hockey head coaches heading towards the big leagues with men outside of some specific job like skating or development, etc.

Reactions: abo9

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Its really more of a statement that you have to be one of the best in whole world to make it there. From the articles I brought in and others have only shown that numbers in collegiate sports have dramatically lowered for women coaching women in the past 50 years back in 1972 they were 90%+ of the teams out there now they are roughly around 42%(34% for women collegiate hockey) which doesn't really show any type of growth towards female hockey head coaches heading towards the big leagues with men outside of some specific job like skating or development, etc.
You should have just said this instead of sounding like a sexist, there is no reason to think a very smart woman couldn't coach a team to succeed if given a chance.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
ummm there’s currently 8 female asst. coaches at the NFL. In fact, I played serious competitive puck in MA, in the late 70s and 80s and on one of my junior teams we had a female coach and this was on a team that produced a future NHLer. That was like 1982. Not only should it happen more, it has happened in the past. Maybe it’s your thinking that is outdated.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
ummm there’s currently 8 female asst. coaches at the NFL. In fact, I played serious competitive puck in MA, in the late 70s and 80s and on one of my junior teams we had a female coach and this was on a team that produced a future NHLer. That was like 1982. Not only should it happen more, it has happened in the past. Maybe it’s your thinking that is outdated.
Or maybe its simply an opinion. I think certain opinions are shitty you can think mine are shitty that's the point that these are set in stone.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Interesting, any link to those articles or are they in your responses earlier in the thread?

I honestly don't see the physical limitations of women hindering their capabilities as head coaches, so really surprised to see something like this

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Interesting, any link to those articles or are they in your responses earlier in the thread?

I honestly don't see the physical limitations of women hindering their capabilities as head coaches, so really surprised to see something like this
Future of female coaches discussed on 'NHL @TheRink' podcast

here's a brief one from NHL.com that kind of gets the point quick and actually has Laura Schuler discuss on how women in coaching should be more common.

Reactions: abo9

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Future of female coaches discussed on 'NHL @TheRink' podcast

here's a brief one from NHL.com that kind of gets the point quick and actually has Laura Schuler discuss on how women in coaching should be more common.
Why did you change your tune so fast , but the reason most ladies don't coach female teams is probably the money. For men they are using it as a stepping stone for females they currently don't have a way up it probably doesn't pay well and the travel is terrible

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that. There are only 32 NHL jobs though. It just makes it unlikely. Not biologically impossible.

Exactly, this is the problem people make in their reasoning. They take the extremities of society, equate it to the average, and then say look, this is oppression.

The NHL is the best of the best in the hockey world. There are plenty of talented, wonderful women in hockey, but they're not the best of the best.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Why did you change your tune so fast , but the reason most ladies don't coach female teams is probably the money. For men they are using it as a stepping stone for females they currently don't have a way up it probably doesn't pay well and the travel is terrible
I didn't change my tune my opinion remains the same normally when you have an argument you need to respect what the other side has to say normally when you write an argument you need to bring in opposing views otherwise it just a one-sided biased statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->