Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

With baseball seeing their first female GM recently, I got to thinking about the NHL, and what the chances of a female head coach are. How would the players and media react? Would you support your team hiring the first female head coach?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The same thing I say for all the "female _____ in the NHL" threads. If there's one good enough to produce results at the NHL level, it wouldn't be a problem. However we're likely far away from that happening simply because hockey in general isn't as popular with females as it is with males. Very few women continue with a form of hockey past the collegiate level.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I think a woman would be a terrible choice to seriously coach a group of young, high testosterone men.

The best female hockey player will never be able to match the best male hockey player. It's not even close. You have 16 year old boys that dominate the best women have to offer.

Women should be left to their own domains, such as women's sports. No need to be involved in the male version.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I think a woman would be a terrible choice to seriously coach a group of young, high testosterone men.

The best female hockey player will never be able to match the best male hockey player. It's not even close. You have 16 year old boys that dominate the best women have to offer.

Women should be left to their own domains, such as women's sports. No need to be involved in the male version.

So what you're saying is that because a woman hasn't done it before, they shouldn't? Is there any reason you can argue that a woman SHOULDN'T coach in the NHL, other than that they should stick to women's sports?

By this logic, how can women teach "young, high testosterone men?" Are you saying that high school and college athletes shouldn't have female teachers/professors?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
So what you're saying is that because a woman hasn't done it before, they shouldn't? Is there any reason you can argue that a woman SHOULDN'T coach in the NHL, other than that they should stick to women's sports?

Because they are physically unable to compete on the same level. What could they possibly have to offer over the next best male counterpart other than political optics?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Because they are physically unable to compete on the same level. What could they possibly have to offer over the next best male counterpart other than political optics?
As someone stated above, most of the male coaches aren't able to compete with the best players. So should we dump those coaches and just let the Sidney Crosbys of the world coach?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
As someone stated above, most of the male coaches aren't able to compete with the best players. So should we dump those coaches and just let the Sidney Crosbys of the world coach?

Doesn't matter because said male coach is still better than any female counter part.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Probably some day, but it will take a long time as the NHL is such an old-boys club for coaching that they don't even take European coaches seriously most of the time. The development pathway also isn't really there at the moment, but some day it will happen. There are of course already women working in various hockey operations and analytics/scouting departments, and Barbara Underhill for example has worked as a skating development coach for various teams and individuals and is highly regarded for it.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Doesn't matter because said male coach is still better than any female counter part.
Actually, it does matter since you're arguing that women can't compete with the highest performing men. Again, most, if not all, current male coaches, couldn't compete with today's players. So what if they're better than their female counterparts? They still aren't good enough to compete with today's players so what you're saying is they shouldn't be coaching unless they can.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Hire the best person available but I don’t think any women have the credentials to be named head coach of an NHL team yet.

If it did happen would she command the same respect ? If she rips into her team at practice after a poor game will she be taken with the same respect as a man? At this stage I really doubt it. Having Pierre McGuire as a head coach would be a good comparable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Based on what metric? Keeping in mind that coaching is about knowing how the game is run - knowing what to do, not necessarily ability to do it. One does not need to be a super-athlete to be a great coach (altho it can help in some cases); we've got plenty of information on that score. So what possible further objection is there?

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

By this logic, how can women teach "young, high testosterone men?" Are you saying that high school and college athletes shouldn't have female teachers/professors?
because charismatic knowledgeable men in coaching are far superior than their female counterparts and will actually be able to get a rise out of the team/players when they need to motivate it'd be awfully hard to get NHL players to buy into what they are selling.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Barry Trotz is also a very bad hockey player at this point, and at any p0int really, and he appears to be doing quite good himself.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hire the best person available but I don’t think any women have the credentials to be named head coach of an NHL team yet.

If it did happen would she command the same respect ? If she rips into her team at practice after a poor game will she be taken with the same respect as a man? At this stage I really doubt it. Having Pierre McGuire as a head coach would be a good comparable.
Ever been motivated to do something better because your mother was disappointed in you? ;)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Yes, but they still played hockey at a very high level. OHL is very high and far better than any female hockey player in history.

But the quality of the person as a coach isn't entirely commensurate to their quality as a player. It's easy to find examples of this: Barry Trotz is one of the best coaches out there right now, and he was only good enough to get a pity AHL camp invite after his junior career. Paul Maurice scored 6 points in 32 games in his final season in the OHL (I'm going to assume that's terribad like it is now), and immediately went into coaching because of injury after his junior career.

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021

If the best hockey players made the best coaches, than Wayne Gretzky wouldn't have been a complete failure in Arizona. That's not how it works.

There's no reason why a female cannot understand and teach the game at the same level as a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->