Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

With baseball seeing their first female GM recently, I got to thinking about the NHL, and what the chances of a female head coach are. How would the players and media react? Would you support your team hiring the first female head coach?

In my life time? Hard to say. We're seeing them hired as executives. I think it's safe to say we'll see them hired as assistant coaches in my lifetime.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nah that's just you putting something in there that I didn't say woman can be a hardass all they want its the difficulty for them of convincing an entire team to buy into their decisions when someone is benched or had their ice time lowered by Hitchcock they likely respected his decision entirely and didn't hesitate to respond back its about respect in the locker room.
And again, you don't know that a woman couldn't do that. You have absolutely no proof except what's in your head.

Read what you said again:
While they might be able to scare some into your average person the top athletes in the world aren't going to be phased as much.
You're saying women can't be hardasses to men.

Still waiting on proof of all those men who say coaching women is so much different, by the way.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Just so I get it right what you’re saying. You think women should play in the nhl with the men? Same rules apply to everything during the game and no special treatment?
It MUST be satire. I don't think that there's anyone in the whole world who thinks that because women can get shot at in war = they can magically play in the NHL. It's asinine, it must be just a silly joke.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It MUST be satire. I don't think that there's anyone in the whole world who thinks that because women can get shot at in war = they can magically play in the NHL. It's asinine, it must be just a silly joke.
I hope so because if not some people are living in quite the fantasy land :laugh:

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I don't get why everyone is going on about "OHL players could dominate women's leagues" when the OP clearly says "head coach." It's like every HF thread turns into a strawman by the end of the first page.

I think we'll see more female assistant coaches in the future, but probably won't see a female head coach for a long time, if ever.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There are reasons why there are men and women sports.
- only fool can not see the differences (of men and women), that can not be overlooked

I think the biggest question is, why would women even want to.
- just to make a point i guess???, which is wrong.

You hire the best coaches and not hire someone because of some false causes and what not.
- people here have no idea what a true equality is.

I'm 100% behind equality, but most are just pushing an agenda and want things just because.
The obvious thing would be to earn more money. Can you seriously not see any reason why a woman would want to coach in the NHL aside from "making a point?"

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Let me lay this out for you: YOU made the claim. Not me, SoupNazi, but you, @Panthaz89.

I am not the one claiming women can't motivate a male team.
I'm simply saying they can't do as well as the best male hockey coaches in the world or to put in better phrase not do it well enough to make it as an NHL head coach they can be GMs reasonably any time soon as that isn't a task that favors men while coaching does.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm simply saying they can't do as well as the best male hockey coaches in the world or to put in better phrase not do it well enough to make it as an NHL head coach they can be GMs reasonably any time soon as that isn't a task that favors men while coaching does.
You're making an argument based on nothing but "women can't coach men" which is BS.

Still waiting on you to provide information on all those male coaches you claim say coaching women is much different.

Reactions: Callieflower

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
In the current state of the US, it's a near certainty that women will eventually dismantle every perceived gender barrier.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You're making an argument based on nothing but "women can't coach men" which is BS.

Still waiting on you to provide information on all those male coaches you claim say coaching women is much different.
Again I never said that but men are indeed better on average at coaching male hockey.....which makes it incredibly unlikely at least for several decades that a woman will even get her first NHL head coaching job. Women coaches aren't the best option for coaching the best male hockey players in the world. If NHL GMs truly wanted their best chance to win they would get the best coach for the job.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I dont see why not. Look at how many good coaches have there been that were barely fringe players. Or not even NHL quality players that worked out well as coaches. If she has a good concept of x's and o's, motivation and matchups then why not?

Luongoisthegoat

Mar 23, 2021
Doesn't matter because said male coach is still better than any female counter part.
They may not be able to play the game at the level of the males but coaching is about how well you think the game. It’s about implementing the system they think is best. No reason a woman who can’t coach if she has the mind for the game.

Reactions: SoupNazi

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Female coach: Grind the corners, finish every hit, clear the crease with crosschecks
Male players: No you

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They may not be able to play the game at the level of the males but coaching is about how well you think the game. It’s about implementing the system they think is best. No reason a woman who can’t coach if she has the mind for the game.
Agreed. Anyone that automatically thinks men coach better than women because they "understand men better" is on some straight misogyny BS

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If NHL GMs truly wanted their best chance to win they would get the best coach for the job.

This may come as a shock to you, but the person who gets hired to do a job isn't always the person best suited to do that job.

Pierre McGuire was hired to coach Hartford (despite having no head coaching experience at ANY level) and lasted all of six months, leading his squad to a 23-37-7 record (that's bad). He was fired and the captain of the team immediately started talking shit about him, saying it's the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers, and that the players on the squad had no respect for Pierre (that's really bad). He also had to forfeit some of his salary because he shared proprietary coaching evaluations with a different team (HOLY SHIT THAT IS BAD).

I guarantee that someone else could have done a better job. Somewhere on this planet, there was a person, male or female, who could have done better with Hartford than Pierre.

But going by your logic, that isn't true. Pierre was the most qualified person for the job because he was the person who got hired to do the job. Do you see the problem there? It's a tautology.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Are they or there are simply far more men who coach than women?
While woman have been getting some coaching(mostly assistant/minor) jobs they've also lost a ton of job head coaching women's teams over the years because a lot of them favored the coaches that had better results on average.....a lot of women's national teams are already coached by men too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I just hope that when the day comes it’s because she was the best candidate and not a PR stunt hire. There’s women playing at the National level that are extremely intelligent and would make good coaches etc when their career is over but I don’t think a lot of them would like the grind of trying to move up the coaching ranks when their career is over.

Reactions: winnipegger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad