Rumor: Will the Leafs pull the trigger on Alex Pietrangelo this off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
as it stands right now we have enough cap to sign our rfa's (Dermott-Soup) and fill the remaining spots with league min players

If Petro wants to come and gets 8-9m per we'll have to trade Nylander and either Johnsson or Kerfoot and fill both spots with 2 more league min players , so it's doable but it'll basically mean we'll be paying a small group a huge amount while the rest of the team is min wage . With the cap not projected to go up in the near future we'll be basically selling off any player that deserves a raise year after year .

The only way i can see this working is if they can convince JT to waive ntc , spend the money on Petro and give us an extra 2-3m to spread throughout the rest of the lineup .

if the team goes the trade Nylander route it'll also mean we'll have about 25m in cap tied up long term to 3 players 30 plus

also i have zero interest in trading MM regardless of how much he's overpaid

Reactions: mclaren55

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I hate when people are more concerned with bottom 6 players then getting a bonafide number 1 dman.

Every single one of those big leafs contracts can be moved tomorrow for a kings ransom, so why not add Pietro see how it goes and it it flops trade someone from the core.

Plus, you can get a ton of good players for the bottoms six at league minimum.

100% this

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd like their chances if they are able to negotiate with him. I always found it curious that a STL team with Pietrangelo and Parayko as RHD traded for and re-signed Faulk to a contract... We'll see. There's a gap right now between the reported ask by the player and the reported offer from the team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I trust Chuck 100%, so I found it interesting he mentioned Marner's name as someone who could go, if Petra is signed but not Willy's. That was likely speculation on his part, but the fact he said Marner's name tells me there is something there.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I trust Chuck 100%, so I found it interesting he mentioned Marner's name as someone who could go, if Petra is signed but not Willy's. That was likely speculation on his part, but the fact he said Marner's name tells me there is something there.
What did Chuck posted?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

That's not shocking at all that Marner's name got mentioned...think about it...many of us heard about the Dallas owner ripping into Benn and Seguin for their underperformance a few years ago despite being paid big bucks...some of us get a chuckle out of it because the language was so dramatic. I think these playoff games are being watched more closely this year than before, as many teams are playing in selected bubble cities like Toronto, along with many folks working from home due to the pandemic...when you watch a player like Brayden Point playing lights out hockey, giving everything he has, scoring important goals, playing through an injury to help his team make it into the Stanley Finals, and only makes 3 years x $6.75 million...you compare that to the overpaid Mitch Marner (making more than 1.6 times or $4.1 million per year more than Point) who didn't score a single goal in 5 games, confessed he wasn't engaged in game 1...and the end result being the Maple Leafs getting ousted by a mediocre team in the CBJs that had lost alot of talent.

Remember...when hockey resumed in early August, MLSE had already paid Marner his huge signing bonus, making his income this year a whopping U$16 million...in a year where gate revenues and sales were cut significantly due to the pandemic, that lump sum bonus payment sticks out even more, like a sore thumb...and then to have him come out and say he wasn't really into the whole series after getting paid the big bucks? Are you kidding me? Who's Marner fooling? MLSE is a big business...these executives high up who signed off on Marner's contract aren't dummies, they are businessmen...they wouldn't come out and rip Marner like the Dallas owner did with his own players, but I'm sure some of the important people at the top aren't thrilled and have their doubts...paying a player like Marner that kind of money is an investment...that kind of effort and performance is really not acceptable (it wouldn't be acceptable at any company)...especially from a player who hasn't won a dang thing at the NHL level, and asked for the moon during contract negotiations...and was prepared to take the Maple Leafs to the woodshed and prolong the negotiation well into the start of a new season...remember people, Marner rejected the Leafs whopping offer of 7 years x $10 million...and only signed (but for more money and less term) a few days after it was leaked, which garnered a lot of anger and criticism from the media and fans.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You really don't have to give up one of the big 4.

Nylander + Spezza > Kerfoot + Johnsson

Same cap hit, which duo you taking?
So you took Nylander and added on a vet in his twilight who's signed for the minimum to try and win a cup here vs two guys in their prime? Nylander has a massive cap hit. I don't get why anyone would think you could squeeze in a $9 million a year dman without giving someone like Nylander. This is coming from someone who'd prefer to see Marner shipped out first. Marner was greedy as hell with his contract and its ridiculous that Dubas gave in.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Leafs cannot sign Rielly if we sign Pietroangelo. It would take trading Nylander or Marner.

Nylander - Matthews - Hyman

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner

Robertson - Kerfoot - Barbanov

Rodrigues - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - DeMelo

Muzzin - Severson

Lehtonen - Holl

Better depth than this year, space to sign Rielly/Hyman in the future. Balanced defenders - Severson decent player and propped up by Muzzin.

Holl works out nicely on the bottom pairing

At least there is the 1.2M kessel money available when Rielly's contract is up, so it will "only" take a Mikheyev trade (or not resigning him by then) to resign Rielly.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Multiple people have shown how we can fit AP without trading the core. Can we please give up that narrative. Requires value contracts and other trades but it can be done. See post after post saying we have to trade Nylander or Marner is frustrating. Yes it would give us more room. Not it’s not the only path.

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Multiple people have shown how we can fit AP without trading the core. Can we please give up that narrative. Requires value contracts and other trades but it can be done. See thread after thread saying we have to trade Nylander or Marner is frustrating. Yes it would give us more room. Not it’s not the only path.

I think the thought process is if we move marner and replace him with pietrangelo and assets from the trade it makes us a deeper more well rounded team.

I think the counter side is our depth players are crap anyways so does it really make a material difference?

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Mikheyev. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson Xxxxxxx. Xxxxxx
Xxxxx. Xxxxxxx. Xxxxxx

Rielly. Pietrangelo
Muzzin. Lehtonen
Dermott. Holl
Sandin. Lily

I suppose we can dump kerfoot and johnsson and replace them with cheaper versions. Go super thrifty with the bottom 6 and lean heavy on the top 6.

Imo moving marner would depend not only on the return but also how the cap saving and return would fill out the bottom 6 and replace marner in some regard.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I think the thought process is if we move marner and replace him with pietrangelo and assets from the trade it makes us a deeper more well rounded team.

I think the counter side is our depth players are crap anyways so does it really make a material difference?

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Mikheyev. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson Xxxxxxx. Xxxxxx
Xxxxx. Xxxxxxx. Xxxxxx

Rielly. Pietrangelo
Muzzin. Lehtonen
Dermott. Holl
Sandin. Lily

I suppose we can dump kerfoot and johnsson and replace them with cheaper versions. Go super thrifty with the bottom 6 and lean heavy on the top 6.

Imo moving marner would depend not only on the return but also how the cap saving and return would fill out the bottom 6 and replace marner in some regard.
Agreed. But trading Marner or Nylander is a pretty dangerous solution. We can always do so down the road if we feel our depth is holding us back. It does require a belief that valued players will be available for close to league min. Or a team willing to trade with retention if we take a LTIR contract. Players like Johnsson/Dermott/Kerfoot/Engvall and maybe Andersen are possible sacrifices. Or that we can squeeze Mikheyev/Dermott. Also need to believe Lehtonen/Barbanov/Sandin can step in.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
That's not shocking at all that Marner's name got mentioned...think about it...many of us heard about the Dallas owner ripping into Benn and Seguin for their underperformance a few years ago despite being paid big bucks...some of us get a chuckle out of it because the language was so dramatic. I think these playoff games are being watched more closely this year than before, as many teams are playing in selected bubble cities like Toronto, along with many folks working from home due to the pandemic...when you watch a player like Brayden Point playing lights out hockey, giving everything he has, scoring important goals, playing through an injury to help his team make it into the Stanley Finals, and only makes 3 years x $6.75 million...you compare that to the overpaid Mitch Marner (making more than 1.6 times or $4.1 million per year more than Point) who didn't score a single goal in 5 games, confessed he wasn't engaged in game 1...and the end result being the Maple Leafs getting ousted by a mediocre team in the CBJs that had lost alot of talent.

Remember...when hockey resumed in early August, MLSE had already paid Marner his huge signing bonus, making his income this year a whopping U$16 million...in a year where gate revenues and sales were cut significantly due to the pandemic, that lump sum bonus payment sticks out even more, like a sore thumb...and then to have him come out and say he wasn't really into the whole series after getting paid the big bucks? Are you kidding me? Who's Marner fooling? MLSE is a big business...these executives high up who signed off on Marner's contract aren't dummies, they are businessmen...they wouldn't come out and rip Marner like the Dallas owner did with his own players, but I'm sure some of the important people at the top aren't thrilled and have their doubts...paying a player like Marner that kind of money is an investment...that kind of effort and performance is really not acceptable (it wouldn't be acceptable at any company)...especially from a player who hasn't won a dang thing at the NHL level, and asked for the moon during contract negotiations...and was prepared to take the Maple Leafs to the woodshed and prolong the negotiation well into the start of a new season...remember people, Marner rejected the Leafs whopping offer of 7 years x $10 million...and only signed (but for more money and less term) a few days after it was leaked, which garnered a lot of anger and criticism from the media and fans.
Good points. This is a business. I'm pretty sure Paul Marner and co. haven't thrilled a lot of the executives. Because Marner's camp approached the Leafs in a ruthless manner, the Leafs will approach them in a ruthless manner too! It's natural law. Can't escape it.

Reactions: brhymes19

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I get the concern people have with moving a 23-24 year old in Nylander or Marner to make room for a 31 year old Pietrangelo.

But it's also not like we'd be trading the younger guy for Pietrangelo. We'd be trading the younger guy for some combination of young roster players / picks / prospects. So you're getting the 31 year old dman AND the trade value of Marner or Nylander in the form of younger pieces that can help longterm.

The cap situation is a problem with our forwards. The combined caphits of our entire blueline, even with a potential Pietrangelo on there, isn't at all unreasonable or burdensome.

We're running shoe string budgets across the rest of our roster to try to fit four forwards with a combined caphit of ~40M.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

Agreed.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I get the concern people have with moving a 23-24 year old in Nylander or Marner to make room for a 31 year old Pietrangelo.

But it's also not like we'd be trading the younger guy for Pietrangelo. We'd be trading the younger guy for some combination of young roster players / picks / prospects. So you're getting the 31 year old dman AND the trade value of Marner or Nylander in the form of younger pieces that can help longterm.

The cap situation is a problem with our forwards. The combined caphits of our entire blueline, even with a potential Pietrangelo on there, isn't at all unreasonable or burdensome.

We're running shoe string budgets across the rest of our roster to try to fit four forwards with a combined caphit of ~40M.

Agreed.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I don't mind Rielly, great character and hard worker and he's for sure a leader, an elite skater and good outlet passer but a #1 d typically is an elite defender which Rielly is not. He also has trouble getting clear shots on the P.P like a Doughty, Pitreangelo, Weber, type. So no I don't think Rielly is a #1.

Agreed

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
At least there is the 1.2M kessel money available when Rielly's contract is up, so it will "only" take a Mikheyev trade (or not resigning him by then) to resign Rielly.

And Sandin + Liljegren extensions if they were to find any success would bury us. As well as having 0 space to retain Hyman.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Kerfoot and Johnsson would 100% need to be gone, thats for certain, and Mikheyev/Dermott would need to take less years/money to make it work. That's the extent of the cuts that would need to be made for NEXT YEAR to make it work. Beyond that, it's speculation at this point.

i wouldn’t say speculation. The cap is flat. Both Hyman and Reilly need raises. Where is the money going to come from when your top heavy? There won’t be anymore middling contracts. I guess Next guy up before the big boys is Muzzin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we came in with some combination of Agostino-Spezza-Korshkov-Brooks on the fourth line, it wouldn’t be too bad either.

Fourth liners are easy to acquire mid-season if needed. Via waivers, small trades and such. As we accrue cap space throughout the year, we can add more then as well.

Im more bullish on Agostino than most, but I think most want to see Korshkov get an extended look. No harm in doing that.

That’s a fourth line for just barely over league minimum. (700-750K for Spezza, 737K for Agostino, 925K for Korshkov and I think Brooks is around 750K).

Now, that’s not to say if a Perry, or a Simmonds, or a Larsson, or a Haula etc are willing to sign for less than 1M, we don’t do it, but point is, we have internally options that we can give a look to on our fourth line, should we make the splash with Petro

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If we came in with some combination of Agostino-Spezza-Korshkov-Brooks on the fourth line, it wouldn’t be too bad either.

Fourth liners are easy to acquire mid-season if needed. Via waivers, small trades and such. As we accrue cap space throughout the year, we can add more then as well.

Im more bullish on Agostino than most, but I think most want to see Korshkov get an extended look. No harm in doing that.

That’s a fourth line for just barely over league minimum. (700-750K for Spezza, 737K for Agostino, 925K for Korshkov and I think Brooks is around 750K).

Now, that’s not to say if a Perry, or a Simmonds, or a Larsson, or a Haula etc are willing to sign for less than 1M, we don’t do it, but point is, we have internally options that we can give a look to on our fourth line, should we make the splash with Petro
Fourth liners will be the least of the worries with all the rumblings of RFA's not getting qualified. Might even be able to get them on very cheap multi-year deals so they have a spot at the dinner table next year.

horner

May 22, 2007
It's funny

Instead of signing Taveras we should have built our defence.

Now we are willing to trade one of our young core pieces to sign a dman at 30 yrs old.

Will the Leafs ever learn how to build a team NO.

Reactions: egd27

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I believe that the Leafs can squeeze Pietrangelo in if they go cheap in goal. Someone like Demko or Georgiev. That's a risk, but the Leafs could always look to shore up the goaltending at the trade deadline - if they are unhappy with it. I say you fit in Pietrangelo any way you can, and then spend time reshaping the team. Pietrangelo added to the D will make the goaltending look better too.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's funny

Instead of signing Taveras we should have built our defence.

Now we are willing to trade one of our young core pieces to sign a dman at 30 yrs old.

Will the Leafs ever learn how to build a team NO.
The Leafs won't be trading any of the young core pieces for older players. If the Leafs move one, it would be for some combination of young players, picks, and cap room, which will go towards sustaining the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad