Rumor: Will the Leafs pull the trigger on Alex Pietrangelo this off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
Alex Pietrangelo has stated that he is interested in signing with his Hometown Team this off-season, he said he will sign at a cheaper price this off-season if he does end up signing, Pietrangelo has so far been offered a 9 million Dollar Contract from Nashville. Thoughts?

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Alex Pietrangelo has stated that he is interested in signing with his Hometown Team this off-season, he said he will sign at a cheaper price this off-season if he does end up signing, Pietrangelo has so far been offered a 9 million Dollar Contract from Nashville. Thoughts?
Is Nashville allowed to offer him a contract before October 9th?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He has not been offered anything. It's illegal.

And it puts Nashville well over the cap with 19 players signed.

Reactions: Beleafer34

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
1. What source?
2. No team can offer him any contract til October 9th at the earliest

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It’s a pipe dream that most players are actually willing to leave significant amount of money left on the table

Leafs get much more dangerous with Petro on your team though so worth trying all avenues

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
They will take a shot at him. Lebrun said this week on Leafs Lunch there’s “mutual interest”.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It’s a pipe dream that most players are actually willing to leave significant amount of money left on the table

Leafs get much more dangerous with Petro on your team though so worth trying all avenues

Mostly but there is the odd case here and there.

Tavares had an offer for $13 million from SJ. Kevin Shattenkirk had 7 year deals offered the first time he hit UFA status. Both guys wanted to play at home.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'm sure OP misspoke and meant the Blues. Said Nashville because the Josi contract keeps coming up as a comparable. Having said that the 9 million offer is unconfirmed and the Leafs element doesn't constitute "rumor" yet as far as I know.

Reactions: Havoc

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If Leafs can sign him, you do, it's that simple. You add him and a #4 D man and all of a sudden your back end is very strong for 45 minutes of the game and your forwards and goalie are more confident in an end to end game. You can then ease in players like Sandin on the bottom pair for hopefully a long, successful career. Muzzin, AP and Reilly would be great role models for the young players.

Your 3rd and 4th lines will not be expensive to fill in. You can win a Cup with two top lines, two grind/cycle/defense first minded lines. You cannot win a Stanley Cup without solid D.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
If they get Pie and make it work cap wise and dosnt effect us next season I'm happy.
If they avoid Pie and pick up 2 med tierd D and we turn out good I'm happy.
So as long as something good comes outtta this off-season and shows improvement in post season I'm happy. With or without Pie.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Given COVID and the fact that they are starting at Josi money, it is quite possible he would agree to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8.5. Like JT, AP values family. Starting to think there is a chance.

Absolutely I could see that. I wouldn't be surprised if Blues offered him no more than $7.5M themselves. This wouldn't surprise me at all. The days of the $10M player will be very rare for awhile.

With the Leafs having the deepest pockets in the league they can do what few teams can do, they can offer an AAV that is the same or slightly higher than other teams, but they can offer the rare lucrative signing bonus that immediately allows a player to put money to work for him, AND it's never going to be impacted by a shutdown/lockout or whatever.

Such a large cash injection immediately adds more cash to a players final return on his contract, be it in getting into the market on investment a year or two earlier, or, simply buying a fix interest instrument. It's in his portfolio, it doesn't go away, and, it can immediately appreciate or compound.

I have little doubt, that a #1 D man could (would?) have been the difference maker in at least 3 of the last 4 playoff losses. That would mean major revenue going forward.

Leafs have to bring some success in order to have advertisers continue to pay high rates. If you don't need to fiddle around with unknown, mid-tier players, than don't. Go with the Stud and build out.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
1. Leaf fan pages and hockey analysts
2. I think what they meant by offering is that they were interested in it
It’s always amusing that people actually believe they aren’t negotiating well in advance, like these complicated deals suddenly materialize the day of free agency, presto! Come on.

As an aside, you do everything you can to make Piet work, he’s a stud D man, period.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I say go for it. Why not.
When was the last time this team had a D this caliber?

He'll be expensive, few years down the road he may loose his foot speed. He's not overall physical so he may have some longevity

Reactions: DarkKnight

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Mostly but there is the odd case here and there.

Tavares had an offer for $13 million from SJ. Kevin Shattenkirk had 7 year deals offered the first time he hit UFA status. Both guys wanted to play at home.

Yeah there’s definitely a precedent there but it’s not nearly as certain of a thing as some think it is

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It would certainly align with apparent direction of getting as many big money players as absolutely possible.

What are the most league minimum salaries ever by a Cup winner?

Reactions: ToneDog

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It’s always amusing that people actually believe they aren’t negotiating well in advance, like these complicated deals suddenly materialize the day of free agency, presto! Come on.

As an aside, you do everything you can to make Piet work, he’s a stud D man, period.

I think that's how St. Louis thinks it works now, asking him to sign for 7.7 million without knowing the structure :sarcasm:

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille