Rumor: Will the Leafs pull the trigger on Alex Pietrangelo this off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
who can out bid 9m x 8 years?

other teams would need to come in at 10.3 x7 just to match the offer

But this assumes that Pietrangelo makes zero dollar in the 8th year.

My guess is that a fair calculation should assume that he makes $4 to $5 mil, given inflation. Chara got 5 mil a couple of years ago.

And the Blues' offer is more like 8m. Then 8m x 8 is equivalent to ~8.5m x 7. The structure is also very important now with the escrow of around 20% in the first couple of years.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I would say Anderson, kerfoot And johnsson Would be gone this type of move. With the possibility of hyman after next year and Reilly after 2. After the second year in order to keep Reilly one of the big 4 gets moved

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I would say Anderson, kerfoot And johnsson Would be gone this type of move. With the possibility of hyman after next year and Reilly after 2. After the second year in order to keep Reilly one of the big 4 gets moved

Kerfoot and Johnsson would 100% need to be gone, thats for certain, and Mikheyev/Dermott would need to take less years/money to make it work. That's the extent of the cuts that would need to be made for NEXT YEAR to make it work. Beyond that, it's speculation at this point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Alex Pietrangelo has stated that he is interested in signing with his Hometown Team this off-season, he said he will sign at a cheaper price this off-season if he does end up signing, Pietrangelo has so far been offered a 9 million Dollar Contract from Nashville. Thoughts?

Nashville has not offered him 9 million

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The Leafs are still gonna be soft with Pietra though.

One player doesn't fix them. The real risk is if they blow the budget on top enders so they can afford only crack fillers in the bottom roles. Too early to worry about that right now, but the idea that a club can get tougher adding a bunch of league minimum scrubs and still compete hard seems really optimistic.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i'm saying if st loo had offered the 9m it would already be a done deal.
I believe the tweet says petro asking 9.25 just above Josi deal. Blues offered 7.7 and then told him to start looking. Blues playing hardball or do not want to pay up for petro.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
It may be a situation where STL says if a team offers more, come back to us and we will look at matching. AP wants to stay in STL so it may just be this is the case.

I think there are only two possibilities here STL is the front runner but Leafs will be there if STL can't match.

4 kids 2 and under, no parents are uprooting to another city with no grandparents around. Especially if TOR and STL give him a reasonable offer and a shot at a cup.​

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Alex Pietrangelo has stated that he is interested in signing with his Hometown Team this off-season, he said he will sign at a cheaper price this off-season if he does end up signing, Pietrangelo has so far been offered a 9 million Dollar Contract from Nashville. Thoughts?
My thoughts are that this is tampering if true, which it is not

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Would you sign him if it meant there was no room for Morgan in a year?
Yes. Leafs would be fine at LHD. Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin (just about ready) would be good and despite everyone's perception of Rielly as a #1 D-man he is actually not better then Dermott or Muzzin defensively.

Muzzin-Pietrangelo
Dermott-Holl/FA

is better then

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl/FA

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
kerf and johns clears enough thats 7m there

rosen/marincin are also on cap friendly,,put them in the AHL and that clears another 1.5m

so 8.5m cap just with those 4 simple moves.
Yes but you're moving out several players for 1 and not knowing what you're going to bring in. That's the issue. That doesnt even factor in the cap hits. This is not ideal, at all. As much as I'd love to bring in a #1 RHD, Dubas will put himself into an even tougher position.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Yes but you're moving out several players for 1 and not knowing what you're going to bring in. That's the issue. That doesnt even factor in the cap hits. This is not ideal, at all. As much as I'd love to bring in a #1 RHD, Dubas will put himself into an even tougher position.

Rielly Matthews and Pietrangelo would be the keys to the cup, everything else is secondary.

You build championships from the top down, not bottom up.

Reactions: Atomos2

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No you don't, you sacrifice the third liners for this to happen.

Nylander > Johnsson and Kerfoot
Except Johnsson and Kerfoot dont solve the problem. They dont cover the cap hit. You've gotta give up one of the 4 big cap hits up front to make it work. If Pietrangelo makes $9 million a year, that's a lot more than what Johnsson and Kerfoot make and you're losing 2 players in the process. You're gonna have to give up someone like Nylander, while taking back almost no cap. So you'd have to move Nylander for a player or prospect or two and those players would have to be making peanuts. Even then, you still arent coming out ahead on the cap. Pietrangelo plus the players acquired is pretty easily $11 per season. We're talking about filling roster spots, not even what's best for the team. This is far from ideal to sign Pietrangelo and I'd love to have him.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's a #1 dman.

He also should have been named captain.

I don't mind Rielly, great character and hard worker and he's for sure a leader, an elite skater and good outlet passer but a #1 d typically is an elite defender which Rielly is not. He also has trouble getting clear shots on the P.P like a Doughty, Pitreangelo, Weber, type. So no I don't think Rielly is a #1.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rielly Matthews and Pietrangelo would be the keys to the cup, everything else is secondary.

You build championships from the top down, not bottom up.
You need some depth to win. The Leafs have depth, but not enough to sacrifice after already giving up Kap. Giving up a combination of Kapanen, Kerfoot and Johnsson this off-season wouldn't be pretty.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Except Johnsson and Kerfoot dont solve the problem. They dont cover the cap hit. You've gotta give up one of the 4 big cap hits up front to make it work. If Pietrangelo makes $9 million a year, that's a lot more than what Johnsson and Kerfoot make and you're losing 2 players in the process. You're gonna have to give up someone like Nylander, while taking back almost no cap. So you'd have to move Nylander for a player or prospect or two and those players would have to be making peanuts. Even then, you still arent coming out ahead on the cap. Pietrangelo plus the players acquired is pretty easily $11 per season. We're talking about filling roster spots, not even what's best for the team. This is far from ideal to sign Pietrangelo and I'd love to have him.
You really don't have to give up one of the big 4.

Nylander + Spezza > Kerfoot + Johnsson

Same cap hit, which duo you taking?

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Trade Nylander to NJD for their 18th & 20 1st rd picks. NJD have cap space and would still have the 7th pick overall in the entry draft. Toronto does this to save cap space to sign Pietrangelo and acquire two draft picks. NJD acquires and established good young player on a great long term contract.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs cannot sign Rielly if we sign Pietroangelo. It would take trading Nylander or Marner.

Nylander - Matthews - Hyman

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner

Robertson - Kerfoot - Barbanov

Rodrigues - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - DeMelo

Muzzin - Severson

Lehtonen - Holl

Better depth than this year, space to sign Rielly/Hyman in the future. Balanced defenders - Severson decent player and propped up by Muzzin.

Holl works out nicely on the bottom pairing

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
You need some depth to win. The Leafs have depth, but not enough to sacrifice after already giving up Kap. Giving up a combination of Kapanen, Kerfoot and Johnsson this off-season wouldn't be pretty.

Adding Robertson Pietrangelo and let's say Perry would help.

Pietrangelo makes every defenceman better with the workload he takes, it's less minutes for everyone else.

Johnsson did nothing all year so Robertson coming in is bonus. Perry can bring an element that is lacking.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I don't mind Rielly, great character and hard worker and he's for sure a leader, an elite skater and good outlet passer but a #1 d typically is an elite defender which Rielly is not. He also has trouble getting clear shots on the P.P like a Doughty, Pitreangelo, Weber, type. So no I don't think Rielly is a #1.
Neither is Karlsson or Burns or a few others.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Trade Nylander to NJD for their 18th & 20 1st rd picks. NJD have cap space and would still have the 7th pick overall in the entry draft. Toronto does this to save cap space to sign Pietrangelo and acquire two draft picks. NJD acquires and established good young player on a great long term contract.
I'd rather trade willy to Buffalo for 8th overall if we sign petro and trade willy for 8th overall draft Sanderson and jarvis, then trade and aquire some grit and two way ability maybe sign 1 more rhd and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad