Rumor: Will the Leafs pull the trigger on Alex Pietrangelo this off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I would think so but it's also not "no chance in hell" he declined situation, seeing as it's an appropriate figure. I suspect Pietrangelo would've signed that but I could also see him looking for a bigger deal than Josi's and/or wanting to see if anyone threw crazy money at him in free agency.
who can out bid 9m x 8 years?

other teams would need to come in at 10.3 x7 just to match the offer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You do not pass on a number 1 right shot defensemen because you might have to trade inferior pieces. You sign that player and make the other puzzle pieces fit around it. He would transform our team. My hopes are not getting up at all for this but if there is a real chance at it there is no situation where the Leafs say no thank you to him. That better not happen.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hate when people are more concerned with bottom 6 players then getting a bonafide number 1 dman.

Every single one of those big leafs contracts can be moved tomorrow for a kings ransom, so why not add Pietro see how it goes and it it flops trade someone from the core.

Plus, you can get a ton of good players for the bottoms six at league minimum.

Could also just draft well and plug bottom six positions that way. Unfortunately it looks like only Robertson is ready for prime time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's an interesting situation.

There were 13 teams with cap overages BEFORE covid hit and squeezed a ton of ownerships

While I'm sure other teams could offer him a generous offer, the Leafs woud definitely be in the minority who can.

I'm not sure hell get over 9 mil in this environment. 8.75 seems a safer bet

Reactions: New Liskeard and kb

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If Dubas moved some players, Nylander specifically, then go for it. I don't see Tavares, Marner or certainly Matthews going anywhere, all for different reasons. You move out Nylander and Johnsson or Holl then it'd make sense. You move Nylander, get cheap young players back, and take very little cap back would seem like the only way it can be done. You'd have to sacrifice one of the big forwards for this to happen.

Reactions: New Liskeard

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If Dubas moved some players, Nylander specifically, then go for it. I don't see Tavares, Marner or certainly Matthews going anywhere, all for different reasons. You move out Nylander and Johnsson or Holl then it'd make sense. You move Nylander, get cheap young players back, and take very little cap back would seem like the only way it can be done. You'd have to sacrifice one of the big forwards for this to happen.
No you don't, you sacrifice the third liners for this to happen.

Nylander > Johnsson and Kerfoot

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hate when people are more concerned with bottom 6 players then getting a bonafide number 1 dman.

Every single one of those big leafs contracts can be moved tomorrow for a kings ransom, so why not add Pietro see how it goes and it it flops trade someone from the core.

Plus, you can get a ton of good players for the bottoms six at league minimum.

That's right. I would add the missing cornerstone piece and just see how it all shakes out. If anything you can make adjustments next offseason.

Reactions: Merrrlin

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
That's right. I would add the missing cornerstone piece and just see how it all shakes out. If anything you can make adjustments next offseason.
Or even at the deadline to add some more depth players (not trade a core piece)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
kerf and johns clears enough thats 7m there

rosen/marincin are also on cap friendly,,put them in the AHL and that clears another 1.5m

so 8.5m cap just with those 4 simple moves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would you sign him if it meant there was no room for Morgan in a year?

The idea would be to complete the roster now and kick those major decisions down the road. Morgan Rielly would be a priority to re-sign but you also have 2 extra years and a flat pandemic cap to determine how much you can bring him back at. I would also assume that you could see a Marner/Nylander deal at some point too. You could also move Jake Muzzin out too if Pietrangelo is still elite and have Sandin take over full time on LHD.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The idea would be to complete the roster now and kick those major decisions down the road. Morgan Rielly would be a priority to re-sign but you also have 2 extra years and a flat pandemic cap to determine how much you can bring him back at. I would also assume that you could see a Marner/Nylander deal at some point too. You could also move Jake Muzzin out too if Pietrangelo is still elite and have Sandin take over full time on LHD.
I think if Pietra is signed, it really just put the Leafs into win now mode. With a lot of players truly thinking about playing in a safer city(COVID and Protest), plus the flat cap, vet players might choose to play at min with a NTC on team they think could win.
Leafs really need to take advantage of that.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Some people are saying no to signing Pietrangelo? Are you guys crazy?
You absolutely sign him (top 5 d in the league on anyone’s list) and figure out the rest.
The one thing the leafs need most and people say no? It’s like us leafs fans enjoy misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad