Will the Habs fire their GM?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I still can't believe how bad he got fleeced in the Subban/Weber trade. That guy WAS Montreal. He should've been fired based alone on how ****** of a PR move it was. If any other corporate executive publicly crucified their organization like that, they would be canned immediately. But for some reason, Marc Bergevin still has a job.

The guy was Montreal. And they almost finished last.

So THAT Montreal had to go.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

LOL yeaah blame all last season on Subban, smart.. Had nothing to do with the backbone of your team missing the entire season.

If you guys had Subban this year, there is a pretty good chance you couldve gotten past NYR

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He has like, 6 yrs remaining on his contract? Just don't think Geoff Molson, has the stones to do that.............

They do need a President type of figure, who MB reports to, and helps with hockey decisions...Serge Savard, may fit that bill.

I think Savard is enjoying retirement. I wonder if Robinson would take on such a role ...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
LOL yeaah blame all last season on Subban, smart.. Had nothing to do with the backbone of your team missing the entire season.

He said Subban WAS Montreal. So I said sarcastically it's a good thing he left then, cause we finished very low.

Montreal was Price, not Subban.

If you guys had Subban this year, there is a pretty good chance you couldve gotten past NYR

I doubt it. We lacked scoring and Subban's scoring had been pretty low in recent years. He was useless on the PP too.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

I didn't say that like he was an embodiment of the team itself (although a very big part), but more of a representation of the entire city, like the face of the franchise sort of thing.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I have to wonder how good of a job montreal has done in recent years in terms of their drafting and development record. Looking at their drafting record since 2008 the number of players that might turn out to be nhl player past the first round is looking rather limited with many of those players looking like depth players more then anything else (bottom 6 forwards / bottom pairing d-man). Gallagher was a great pickup in 2010 and some players such as Hudon, Lehkonen, and andrighetto has looked promising but I have to wonder how good of a job montreal is doing in terms of player assessment given how many draft 'misses' have occurred at the draft table in 2008 past the first round. On average success nhl teams tead to average finding at least one nhl player per draft past the first round with a good draft year being at least 2 player outside the first round. Montreal's had several years (2008. 2009. 2011 and 2012) where they did't find a single player that has player more then 20 nhl games for them although Hudon in 2012 might be a good player.

In 2007 Montreal hit the draft jackpot getting players like Subban, McDonagh, Patches and Weber (Yannick). Since then their are too many draft years where they simply didn't find good enough players past round one.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

He's not the GM. The GM saw Price go down, did nothing for like 50 days, and then helped the team by trading for Ben Scrivens.

How's that on Subban? Was he supposed to make 30 saves a game too? If Montreal made the playoffs last year people would have been saying Price was a product of Montreal defence.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

OK then, that explains it. Since we are operating under those guidelines, I suppose we'll see Dallas trading Benn or Seguin this summer?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There's less French Canadians in management and playing than ever before. And that # will continue to decrease. Doing the "Must Speak French" thing was ok in the 70's. In 2017 you can't do that. The Habs will never get a great management team by only selecting French speaking GMs.

It does nothing but hurt the entire organization. They are 31st by far in the ability to get the top minds in the game.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Won't fire the GM. Organization is in a ton of hurt going forward.

The Habs are just stuck in the middle with nowhere to go. They won't win a cup with that roster, and can't tank for a high pick with it either. they are just stuck in a bad place. And giving Price 12 million per will not make them better (And I believe they will do that soon).

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
The Habs are just stuck in the middle with nowhere to go. They won't win a cup with that roster, and can't tank for a high pick with it either. they are just stuck in a bad place. And giving Price 12 million per will not make them better (And I believe they will do that soon).

Zero chance of that.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I am taking bets. Price signs 8 year extension this summer with the Habs. It'll be higher than Toews/Kane money at the very least.

This is a weird prediction to make, considering goalies have never been paid hugely and the goalie market isn't that great (for trades/open market). But everyone's entitled to make weird predictions based on nothing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is a weird prediction to make, considering goalies have never been paid hugely and the goalie market isn't that great (for trades/open market). But everyone's entitled to make weird predictions based on nothing.

The elite ones have. And Price certainly is elite. There hasn't been a potential UFA goalie this good in a long time.

And I find it strange you think it's a "Weird" prediction when every analyst I've heard is predicting the same.

Give me a number. Does Price stay in MOntreal, and if so, for how much per?

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The elite ones have. And Price certainly is elite. There hasn't been a potential UFA goalie this good in a long time.

And I find it strange you think it's a "Weird" prediction when every analyst I've heard is predicting the same.

Give me a number. Does Price stay in MOntreal, and if so, for how much per?
The highest paid goalie is Henrik Lundqvist at 8.5M.

The highest overall contracts are 10.5M for Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane - lifetime contracts that were owed to players who brought 3 Stanley Cups to Chicago. Outlier contracts with cap hits even the Blackhawks would admit are inflated.

I don't think there's a chance Carey Price commands more than either of them. Considering he has never won a Stanley Cup and the Montreal Canadiens still have some glaring holes to fill - I doubt he'll want to eat that much of the cap to begin with.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's debateable whether that trade even strengthened an already strong position, and not really debatable that it exacerbated our biggest weakness: team scoring. FFS, we added an extra top 6 forward, Byron had a career year, and Lehkonen sniped 18 and still we only finished with something like 5 or 6 more goals than last year. That can happen when you replace a guy who flirted with or surpassed 3.0 GF/60 on multiple occasions with a 5v5 boat anchor.

It was a bad trade motivated by an incoherent idea and it's looking worse every day.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The highest paid goalie is Henrik Lundqvist at 8.5M.

The highest overall contracts are 10.5M for Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane - lifetime contracts that were owed to players who brought 3 Stanley Cups to Chicago. Outlier contracts with cap hits even the Blackhawks would admit are inflated.

I don't think there's a chance Carey Price commands more than either of them. Considering he has never won a Stanley Cup and the Montreal Canadiens still have some glaring holes to fill - I doubt he'll want to eat that much of the cap to begin with.

I disagree strongly. There's just zero chance Price makes less thanm 8.5 million. He'll never take that. Montreal's starting offer will at the very least exceed Henrik's deal. And BTW in more seasons Henrik has 0 cup wins himself. So I'm not sure why Price can't make as much or more because he himself has not won a cup.

Last edited:

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007

If he had nothing to do with last year then we don't need him Weber is a better defenseman the only part we lose at is the age fsctor.

HockeyFan87

Apr 5, 2012
They need a new GM and a full rebuild. But won't happen. They'll just keep treading water for the next couple seasons

Above all, what Montreal needs is a true hockey mind at the president of hockey operations position, currently held by a spoiled businessman (Geoff Molson), who will then bring a new philosophy to the franchise.

That new president will then be able to purge the team at all levels from the GM to the scouting department, and then proceed to a true rebuild.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I disagree strongly. There's just zero chance Price makes less thanm 8.5 million. He'll never take that. Montreal's starting offer will at the very least exceed Henrik's deal. And BTW in more seasons Henrik has 0 cup wins himself. So I'm not sure why Price can't make as much or more because he himself has not won a cup.

With that logic Burns and Hedman would have gotten 9+.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
5 years in...

Plan: Build through draft
Results: one of worst prospect pools in NHL.

Plan: sustainable success
Results: aging/high cap team with no young players close to good enough to replace them

He's most overrated GM in NHL. Once Price, Weber, Pacioretty start to regress it's going to get ugly.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Weber has karakter and leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad