Will the Habs fire their GM?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What? Like over 10.5 hit? You're out of your mind. If you're right I'll change my username to Lilou Fan.

I'd be surprised if Price got double digits.

Wouldn't be surprised if he signed around 8M AAV. That's the range other high end goalies tend to get paid.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Wouldn't be surprised if he signed around 8M AAV. That's the range other high end goalies tend to get paid.

Well Bob got 7.4 last year and Henrik 8.5 in 2015.
Not sure how you doubt CP to get more than that in 2018?

More comparables: Rinne 7 in 2013, Rask 7 in 2014.

Maybe you are hoping for a hometown discount?

Nothing below 9 for Price, IF you give more years. He deserves to be top-paid goalie.

Imagine how that franchise would be crushed if both Radulov and Price decide to go elsewhere.

HockeyFan87

Apr 5, 2012

Nothing below 9 for Price, IF you give more years. He deserves to be top-paid goalie.

Imagine how that franchise would be crushed if both Radulov and Price decide to go elsewhere.

Who cares, with Molson and Bergevin, the franchise is ALREADY crushed!:shakehead

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lundqvist got 8.5/year at 31 and Price is arguably more important to his teams success than Hank, so Price will easily get 10 million if he so chooses to. & if the Habs don't want to pay, teams will be lining up out the door to sign him.

With that logic Burns and Hedman would have gotten 9+.

Hedman is on a cup contender with a young core all around his age that were also going to need new deals, thats why he took less. Price doesn't have a reason too given the Habs aren't close to a top contender.

Yea, you can say TBL missed the playoffs but that had a lot to do with injuries, their core is being complimented now with guys like Point and Koekkoek and they were in the finals just two short years ago as well as the ECF last year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I remember when people said nothing below 10M for Stamkos...and he signed for 8.5 X 8 years............so some guys do look at their current teams, and their current personal circumstances, and take discounts...not many, but there are guys out there that do.............Price is hedging towards being one of those guys....his cap will probably be around 8.75M for 7-8 years.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lundqvist got 8.5/year at 31 and Price is arguably more important to his teams success than Hank, so Price will easily get 10 million if he so chooses to. & if the Habs don't want to pay, teams will be lining up out the door to sign him.

Hedman is on a cup contender with a young core all around his age that were also going to need new deals, thats why he took less. Price doesn't have a reason too given the Habs aren't close to a top contender.

Yea, you can say TBL missed the playoffs but that had a lot to do with injuries, their core is being complimented now with guys like Point and Koekkoek and they were in the finals just two short years ago as well as the ECF last year.
yea but yea but. If teams are willing, lining up to give Price 10 million I wish them and Price all the best.

Just because one player signs a team unfriendly deal (Lundqvist, Subban) doesn't mean that those that follow behind them have to sign a more terrible one. (Price, Hedman, Burns)

If Price wants to use Bobo as a comparable, great. 4 years is a great term for the team.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I remember when people said nothing below 10M for Stamkos...and he signed for 8.5 X 8 years............so some guys do look at their current teams, and their current personal circumstances, and take discounts...not many, but there are guys out there that do.............Price is hedging towards being one of those guys....his cap will probably be around 8.75M for 7-8 years.

I think thats high. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but in years 6,7,8 he'll be 38-40 years old.

Sign him for 9.0 for 5 years, or 7.5 over 8.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
How many qualified GMs that speak french are out there to choose from. And what are the chances that Jack Martin is the next coach of the habs?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
His inactivity/loyalty to Therrien is a lot more troublesome than his actual trading and signings - while not a fan at all of the Subban trade at all, Weber isn't washed-up and is elite as well - and his inability to fix an offense that been our demise for countless playoff exits over the past few years. He deserves a firing.

Although true, this should not be a consideration. Weber is not what this team needed. Bergevin wanted Draisaitl, which was the right move. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. With a player like Subban, you should not resort to a plan B. If plan A doesn't work, you keep Subban. Simple as that. He didn't get the value for his most valuable asset. For this alone he should get the boot. Now factor in his motivations and his unhealthy relationship with Therrien: I can't believe that he's still working now.

He traded for Weber. Team was crashing again. He changed the coach, thinking that this team was better than what he saw on the ice. He made moves thinking that the team would go deep in the playoffs. He swung aaaaaannnnnddddd.......missed. And missed so badly too on what should be his 3rd strike.

Should he be fired? Absolutely. He has made good small decisions, but have made bad critical decisions. Also, if you consider that his first few years were the continuity of the Gainey/Gauthier era, Bergevin's team is what we have seen over the last 2 years. Which has been underwhelming to say the least. Bergevin is a terrible GM that relies on his self sense of pride to make decisions. If last season was on him, how can't this year's disapointment not be on him?

Now, will he be fired? Absolutely not. Molson likes ''stability''. Of course he does. Stability means no risk which is highly appealing to him as a businessman. Bergevin is an arrogant man. This usually translates to a false perception of a competent and confident man. Molson seems to be easily intimidated/impressed. Until people stop buying tickets/merch, Molson will stay put. He has no reason not to.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

He's in such a position of strength though. He knows that without him, this team doesn't even sniff at the playoffs. They also can't afford to lose Price and Subban in a rough 2 year timespan. If Shaw and Emelin both make 4M, you can bet he'll get more than 8M.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He's in such a position of strength though. He knows that without him, this team doesn't even sniff at the playoffs. They also can't afford to lose Price and Subban in a rough 2 year timespan. If Shaw and Emelin both make 4M, you can bet he'll get more than 8M.

Price has showed he was committed to make this a winning team. Call it guts or wishful thinking, but I just don't see him as a guy that'll be looking to milk as much as he can from the organization. He knows the more money he makes, the harder it'll be to win. I think he'll get between 8 and 8.5M AAV.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
How many qualified GMs that speak french are out there to choose from. And what are the chances that Jack Martin is the next coach of the habs?

Jacques Martin seems happy to be an assistant coach. Not sure if he wants to step into the bee hive that is Montreal at this stage in his career.

Plus, the Habs just gave Claude Julien all the money to be their coach, and I would argue that Julien is a top 5 coach in the NHL and the top French speaking coach, so I don't think there will be a new coach in town for a while.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Is it really the GM's fault?

He's kind of not allowed to rebuild and it's really freakin hard to just pick up free agent talent that isn't past prime.

So...what do you think he can do to improve the team?

Radulov was a great signing. But I do get the anger over the Subban deal.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

As far as qualified French speaking GMs go, I can only think of Julien Brisebois. Don't know much about him though.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Price has showed he was committed to make this a winning team. Call it guts or wishful thinking, but I just don't see him as a guy that'll be looking to milk as much as he can from the organization. He knows the more money he makes, the harder it'll be to win. I think he'll get between 8 and 8.5M AAV.

Although I agree that he's committed to make this team a winning team, I personally have the feeling that he's becoming impatient towards the organization.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He's in such a position of strength though.

The club has one big advantage, they can make him offers on July 1st, 2017.

If they send him a 8x8 offer July 2017, all he has to do is sign and that's guaranteed money in the bank. He's taking a risk then if he doesn't sign and goes into the next season without an extension, he could have a complete mental breakdown and suck, or he could have some kind of career ending injury. You don't pass up a 60$ million dollar offer sitting there just waiting for you signature, in order to take a risk waiting a year to 2018 for a marginal amount more (offset that he can only sign 7 years as a UFA).

If he hates Montreal as much as some people speculate, he signs that extension anyway the day the deal is available and then demands a trade later. You just don't pass up that kind of guaranteed money, it would be foolish and a risk for his family.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

If you were to look at the top 5 GMs, I don't think any speak french.

Ultimately BriseBois seems to be an ideal replacement. Speaks french, used to work for the Habs and has done a pretty good job in TB.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
If (Price) hates Montreal as much as some people speculate, he signs that extension anyway the day the deal is available and then demands a trade later. You just don't pass up that kind of guaranteed money, it would be foolish and a risk for his family.
I haven't read any speculation that Price "hates" Montreal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wanted to play somewhere where he'd have more privacy and/or be closer to the west coast (I keep thinking Anaheim would be ideal for him) but I've never gotten the impression that there's any malice involved. Just that Price is very private off the ice and might not necessarily want to spend his entire career in the pressure cooker. Especially if the team starts to really go downhill.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
The club has one big advantage, they can make him offers on July 1st, 2017.

If they send him a 8x8 offer July 2017, all he has to do is sign and that's guaranteed money in the bank. He's taking a risk then if he doesn't sign and goes into the next season without an extension, he could have a complete mental breakdown and suck, or he could have some kind of career ending injury. You don't pass up a 60$ million dollar offer sitting there just waiting for you signature, in order to take a risk waiting a year to 2018 for a marginal amount more (offset that he can only sign 7 years as a UFA).

If he hates Montreal as much as some people speculate, he signs that extension anyway the day the deal is available and then demands a trade later. You just don't pass up that kind of guaranteed money, it would be foolish and a risk for his family.

True, I did not consider the fact that a guaranteed contract one year earlier also has value. Who knows what could happen next season, he could have a similar injury as in 2015 and his value could drastically drop. Security has a price.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think thats high. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but in years 6,7,8 he'll be 38-40 years old.

Sign him for 9.0 for 5 years, or 7.5 over 8.

How do you figure? When his new deal starts, Price will have just turned 31. That means at the beginning of his 8th year, he'll have just turned 38. Price won't play any games at age 39 or 40 under an 8 year deal.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How do you figure? When his new deal starts, Price will have just turned 31. That means at the beginning of his 8th year, he'll have just turned 38. Price won't play any games at age 39 or 40 under an 8 year deal.

I'm not sure how I figured that. I thought he would be 32 at the start of his next deal. even then my math was off.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad