Will the Habs fire their GM?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His deadline moves were a complete joke.

He literally traded for a bunch of 4th liners.

Like why even bother? Were those guys upgrades over any of the 4th liners already in their organization or whatever jabroni's you could call up from the AHL? It's not even about what he gave up, it's about acquiring such junk to begin with. I would have been insulted as a fan if I were a fan of that team.

Martinsen, Dwight King, Steve Ott. Like seriously? Steve Ott? Why is Steve Ott even playing hockey anymore in 2017 to even be available at the trade deadline? Special shout out to Ken Holland for signing this guy in the first place. Dude is a bottom 3-5 player in the entire NHL.

Trading for those players certainly makes me understand his philosophy on the Subban for Weber trade.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This guy is good if the team's only allowed to have 4th line grinders. He could probably build 3 full teams of those.

However, in NHL you need to have actually good players and he's terribad at getting those. I'd replace him with someone who's not.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This guy is good if the team's only allowed to have 4th line grinders. He could probably build 3 full teams of those.

However, in NHL you need to have actually good players and he's terribad at getting those. I'd replace him with someone who's not.
He seems to have issues with skill types of players........was this because he was depth type of dman himself?? Listening to a clown coach in Therrien for almost 5 years, definitely did not help him in understanding on how to build a team?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Like why even bother? Were those guys upgrades over any of the 4th liners already in their organization or whatever jabroni's you could call up from the AHL? It's not even about what he gave up, it's about acquiring such junk to begin with. I would have been insulted as a fan if I were a fan of that team.

Martinsen, Dwight King, Steve Ott. Like seriously? Steve Ott? Why is Steve Ott even playing hockey anymore in 2017 to even be available at the trade deadline? Special shout out to Ken Holland for signing this guy in the first place. Dude is a bottom 3-5 player in the entire NHL.

Trading for those players certainly makes me understand his philosophy on the Subban for Weber trade.

Steve Ott was great. Most Habs fans want him re-signed.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal

Actually kind of enjoyed Ott in POs. Played with emotions. King thought .... The worst player by far in the NHL this guy bring nothing Rien 0 Nada Niet. Lombardi is a genius to have a 4th for this piece of t****.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
canadiens-marc-bergevin-plant-disguise-video.png

cXrUCAiujGYyQ.gif

Not too sure. I guess it comes down to how the team does in the offseason.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I think people are overreacting here.

The fact that he needs to bring top 6 talent does not mean that he needs to stop trying to improve his bottom 6.

The trades he ade at the deadline were not bad at all. Ott was great in the playoffs, Benn was amazing for the end of the season. King and Martinsen were failed gambles I agree, but they did not cost a lot.

It's clear that Bergevin failed to bring top 6 talent in montreal, but during his 5 years he was probably the best GM in the league to build depth and a solid all around team.

The Canadiens have had good season under him because they have had bottom lines that almost always outperformed the opponents bottom lines.

Guys like Danault, Mitchell, Byron, Weise, Fleischman, Shaw, Benn, Weaver have been great bottom 6 / top 6 D for the Habs. Bergevin has a solid pro scouting team around him that allowed him to make those great depth moves.

All in all he has been pretty average, because he did fail to bring offense, but people need to stop ******** on him for making depth moves, he is one the bests at it. 1 does not prevent the other, it's not because he trades for bottom 6 players that he isn't trying to get top 6 players at the same time. This logic is absolutely stupid.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

I legit like Ott. 'was good in the playoffs. And I'm ok with Martinsen.
Dwight King, however, is a disgrace to the sport.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I remember when people said nothing below 10M for Stamkos...and he signed for 8.5 X 8 years............so some guys do look at their current teams, and their current personal circumstances, and take discounts...not many, but there are guys out there that do.............Price is hedging towards being one of those guys....his cap will probably be around 8.75M for 7-8 years.

You are comparing the #1 market for lack of taxes to the 31st though when speaking about Montreal. I would be stunned if Price signs for less Than Lundqvist. Price has won the Heart trophy and it's been a few years since the Rangers gave Lundqvist that contract.

Last edited:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I think people are overreacting here.

The fact that he needs to bring top 6 talent does not mean that he needs to stop trying to improve his bottom 6.

The trades he ade at the deadline were not bad at all. Ott was great in the playoffs, Benn was amazing for the end of the season. King and Martinsen were failed gambles I agree, but they did not cost a lot.

It's clear that Bergevin failed to bring top 6 talent in montreal, but during his 5 years he was probably the best GM in the league to build depth and a solid all around team.

The Canadiens have had good season under him because they have had bottom lines that almost always outperformed the opponents bottom lines.

Guys like Danault, Mitchell, Byron, Weise, Fleischman, Shaw, Benn, Weaver have been great bottom 6 / top 6 D for the Habs. Bergevin has a solid pro scouting team around him that allowed him to make those great depth moves.

All in all he has been pretty average, because he did fail to bring offense, but people need to stop ******** on him for making depth moves, he is one the bests at it. 1 does not prevent the other, it's not because he trades for bottom 6 players that he isn't trying to get top 6 players at the same time. This logic is absolutely stupid.

Please... Look around the league. Please.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Please... Look around the league. Please.

Tell me five teams had better depth built via trades. You could argue the penguins, with Hagelin, Bonino, Cole (Rust, Sheary, Guentzel aren't trades but you could still count them).

But other than that ? Montreal have been at the top or near it most of the time during the last five years mostly because of Price and overperforming bottom six.

Anyone who follow the Habs and the league in general could tell that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Why ?

He's done a good job.

Not perfect, but then who is.

Not really. He's taken this team nowhere. The club is left with the same problems after 5 years as when he arrived. His infatuation with karaktere and grind over skill has rendered the habs irrelevant now and in the forseeable future.

We're in ''win now'' mode with virtually 0 chance of actually winning, and a prospect pool that isn't coming to the rescue any time soon.

But yes, the Byron signing was money.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I called them impostors after their usual start of the season win streak. They went like 10-0 or something. I knew they were impostors even then. We have seen it before so why should anyone be fooled? It annoys me that they got so much recognition from the media when their forwards/defense are below average. Anyone can see that they were outplayed every night. When they faced the leafs I couldn't believe that was a team fighting for 1st place. They were consistently outworked but price kept them in it with his heroics. This really is a terrible dreadful organisation from top to bottom and they need a massive rebuild. Bergevin does not have the guts to do it though so it will be more of the same next year.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Should he be: yes, Will he be: no. Sad for us Habs Fans.

Filled up roster with so many grinders, ruined development of all young talent, traded PK "Norris" Subban and responds to questions with the utmost arrogance.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I don't like Montreal's current position. I think it is probably the worse out of all canadian teams.

They need a rebuild but Carey Price will be resigned and prevent that from happening cause he is too good.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I don't like Montreal's current position. I think it is probably the worse out of all canadian teams.

They need a rebuild but Carey Price will be resigned and prevent that from happening cause he is too good.

As a Habs fan, not as bad as Vancouver but otherwise agreed. I presume the next generational talent is in 2025 and therefore hope they tank then.:laugh:

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Was he? Zeros across the board including penalty minutes. 19 shifts. 12 mins.
1 pt in 11 gms reg. season in Mtl.

Great????

You don't judge players like Ott for their point production. Don't you think Habs fans probably have reasons for liking his performance that can't be refuted by you simply looking at his numbers? Like they aren't perfectly aware he's not a scorer?

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
His worst fail was implementing the Therrien's system across the board, including the farm team, which completely derailed players development in favor of a sterile "team concept" that was a complete disaster. He's got nobody coming up from the AHL and his only hope is from the CHL or European guys. Habs have good scouts, both pro and amateur, but they can't beat the "system". Now, he put all his cards into Julien so he bought time. Doubt it'll work but Julien's a good coach so you never know. Molson will wait at least a couple of years to fire him unless Price is injured and/or the team collapses, which remains a possibility. Shaw and Gallagher are damaged goods. Plekanec and Markov, if they remain with the team, were great players for the team but they're now marginal. Danault is a good 3rd line C playing on the first line. Galchenyuk and Beaulieu have not progressed much since their Junior years as their skills were sacrificed for Therrien's concept. That team is in a sorry state and Bergevin's right when he says he can't make a decent trade since he has nobody to trade. And it's all on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad