Will the Great 8 score 895?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
For me I am not counting him scoring less until it happens. The last 6 seasons he has 5 seasons between 49 and 53 goals. That is a level of consistency that belies belief.

Yes, there is going to be a drop off, but I am not counting it until it happens.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
At that point he can play until he hits 60.
alex-ovechkin-old-man.jpg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brett Hull (age 38), 2002-03 season, 37 goals
Teemu Selanne (age 40), 2010-11 season, 31 goals
Martin St. Louis (age 38), 2013-14 season, 30 goals

But I doubt any of them scored 12 the year before that's my point of contention

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You know what? Gretz always says "records are meant to be broken", but I don't think he means that for his own. He's just too nice a guy. Wish I could've seen him play live. My only regret is being born in the 80s.

Love OV as a player, no doubt. I was only 16 when he was drafted, growing up while watching both him and Sid has been a privilege. I wish OV all the success, he's a great person too. But...I don't want to see him break that record, or 50 in 39.
It's OK, Gretzky will still own the 2 most untouchable records in pro sports after that and a plethora of others, Ovechkin can have the goals one since let's be real, Gretzky isn't the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Saying Ovechkin is just a player that sits in one spot is the absolute antithesis of hockey knowledge, it makes you look like a buffoon.

He's a one trick pony who doesn't play a complete game. Suggesting he actually doesn't move from one specific spot is silly.

I'll also add is a tragedy you had to resort to personal slander.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
He's a one trick pony who doesn't play a complete game. Suggesting he actually doesn't move from one specific spot is silly.

I'll also add is a tragedy you had to resort to personal slander.

Ah yes, his one trick of winning more rocket trophies than his competition by a landslide.

It's such a shame that his one trick is the one measure used to determine which team wins a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloutierForVezina

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's OK, Gretzky will still own the 2 most untouchable records in pro sports after that and a plethora of others, Ovechkin can have the goals one since let's be real, Gretzky isn't the greatest goal scorer of all time.
He sure will make it interesting. No doubt Ovi is a generational goal scorer, in an era where goalies and defensemen actually get paid to stop/contain him. But they still can't. 13+ years later. That's somethin'.

Who knows when we'll ever see another great goal scorer, so just witness the greatness while Ovi is still here winning rockets like he's still in his 20's.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I agree with the point. But Bradman has way more untouchable records. He's the single most dominating player in all of team-sports history.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I have said for years that Ovi has a change to do it. It's a slim change but it's definitely doable and nobody's been closer than him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Gretzky scoring on part time garbage men and unathletic mechanics isnt near as impressive as what Ovi is doing in a much much much better era of competition and goaltending.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
For me I am not counting him scoring less until it happens. The last 6 seasons he has 5 seasons between 49 and 53 goals. That is a level of consistency that belies belief.

Yes, there is going to be a drop off, but I am not counting it until it happens.
I agree with you here. I see no reason to believe 50 won't happen this year.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I just hope that Ovechkin doesn't care more about scoring goals than winning hockey games, now that he has won a Cup and the record seems (kinda) in reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad