Will the Canucks sign pending free agent Alex Kerfoot? (A: No.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Lumping Mason Raymond in with Linden Vey and Brandon McMillan is a complete joke.

I used them as benchmark players I'd be excited about in the free agent market. I also used them because they're small, soft and mediocrely skilled.

I know you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. I'm not comparing them in any sort of career paths, playing styles or stats. I didn't bother to break out the war stats, corsi or scouting reports, I just grabbed a couple of names out of the air that wouldn't get me excited, Kerfoot happens to fit that bill.

Can I think this way? Is that okay with you? Does the thought police approve with me not caring about Alex Kerfoot?

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I used them as benchmark players I'd be excited about in the free agent market. I also used them because they're small, soft and mediocrely skilled.

I know you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. I'm not comparing them in any sort of career paths, playing styles or stats. I didn't bother to break out the war stats, corsi or scouting reports, I just grabbed a couple of names out of the air that wouldn't get me excited, Kerfoot happens to fit that bill.

Can I think this way? Is that okay with you? Does the thought police approve with me not caring about Alex Kerfoot?

Think any way you want.

But when you post your thoughts on a public message board, expect a response if/when people don't think the same way.

What a world we live in...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Lumping a quality forward who was a solid contributor here for 5 years in with fringe waiver junk is ridiculous. And it's a complete joke that people talk about Mason Raymond in this fashion - the guy was a damned good player for this team on some of the best teams we've ever had.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mason Raymond was a second-round draft pick who carved out an impressive career in the NHL as a depth forward.....not sure he ever recovered from that frightening back injury in the Stanley Cup playoffs against Boston, but I've never really understood why he gets constantly dissed on these boards.

If guys like Kerfoot or Molino manage to fashion half as good careers as undrafted college UFA's, then the team signing them will have hit a home run.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I couldn't say, I don't follow other teams prospects on social media.

However Jimmy Vesey did tell Nashville all along that he was going to sign him them. Up until he didn't.

Really??? Thats not good news :(

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What do you mean? Like a back yard rink

He built an NHL size rink in his basement of his Whistler house, I believe. The city of Whistler tried to blackmail him into building a community rink; however he had the money to tell them to go screw themselves. They had no grounds to refuse his plans; and you can't bully billionaires. I probably have some of the details wrong, but I am pretty sure thats basically what happened

Edit: from off the web ....
#1. What does it take to be the Most Expensive home in Whistler? If you said a NHL size hockey rink with seating for over 100 of your closest friends you would have guessed right! This 1 level property spread across 500 ft. of waterfront is a spectacular modern creation in property development today. 2177 Lake Placid Rd is owned by Greg Kerfoot, the owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team. Greg is the CEO of Crystal Decisions and Seagate Software and his Whistler property has just added to his collection of prestige properties in BC. The property has been assessed with a value of $13,900,000! With a living area of 15,000 sq. ft this home is not short of space. The property is separated in a space age pod setup which is very cutting edge! I guess thats what it takes to be Whistler’s Most Expensive Property.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Raymond was what he was. A pretty darn good depth/bottom 6 player that played valuable minutes in that role. He wasn't a go to guy and when used that way he struggled. And sure we all laughed every time he came tearing down the wing just to put the puck in the goaltenders crest but he was a 500+ game NHL veteran that put up some important points and could be used in a variety of situations. His speed certainly got him out of jams due to questionable defensive positioning and what not but hey use what you got.

But he was slight of frame and started to gather injuries and began to slow down. He lost his main trait that kept him in the league. In the end 546 games and 251 points (another 63 and 20 in playoffs) is a pretty darn good NHL career.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I thought I had terrible reading comprehension.

Never did I compare Raymond to anyone in this thread....at all. Nor did I say he would be better or worst than Kerfoot.

All I said was Kerfoot excites me as a free agent as Raymond would, Vey would, McMillian would. And I only used those names because they're ex-Canucks that were small and soft, which was my ultimate point, do we need more player like that?

Repeat....I DIDNT COMPARE THE QUALITY OF PLAYER RAYMOND WAS TO ANYONE.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I thought I had terrible reading comprehension.

Never did I compare Raymond to anyone in this thread....at all. Nor did I say he would be better or worst than Kerfoot.

All I said was Kerfoot excites me as a free agent as Raymond would, Vey would, McMillian would. And I only used those names because they're ex-Canucks that were small and soft, which was my ultimate point, do we need more player like that?

Repeat....I DIDNT COMPARE THE QUALITY OF PLAYER RAYMOND WAS TO ANYONE.

But Raymond was a valuable player, so why would you not care if the Canucks lost him for nothing.

And McMillan wasn't a soft skill player.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Either you guys

A) can't read

B) arguing for the sake of arguing.

All I said was I didn't care if we sign him or not. My main point was 1) Do we need another small, soft player?

I then mentioned that 2) I'm as excited about Kerfoot as a FA as I would be with Vey, Raymond or McMillian, for example.

That's it that's all folks. I could have said any 3 players to ever play the game. I didn't mention them to compare them as players but my level of excitement.

Do you guys engrish?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And all anyone is saying in response is that is quite a range of players.

By extension, you should also be completely nonchalant then if the Canucks just let Baertschi, Granlund or Sutter walk. To be fair, if Kerfoot becomes any of those players he is worth signing to an ELC.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Either you guys

A) can't read

All I said was I didn't care if we sign him or not. My main point was 1) Do we need another small, soft player?

I then mentioned that 2) I'm as excited about Kerfoot as a FA as I would be with Vey, Raymond or McMillian, for example.

That's it that's all folks. I could have said any 3 players to ever play the game. I didn't mention them to compare them as players but my level of excitement.

Do you guys engrish?

Yes I read and comprehend English. My problem is that I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't have some excitement to sign a guy with 500 game potential out of college. That's the problem with the names you threw out....two are legitimate who cares and the other isn't. If Kerfoot is like Raymond then you should be excited and hoping they get him signed.

I doubt he is so I stick by my ambivalence. If someone can convince me he's something more then I'd change my mind. I.e. If he was comparable to Raymond I'd be excited they had a chance to sign him.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Yeah so I still don't think you folks get it, or you're just arguing for shats and gaggles.

In no way am I saying Kerfoot is a player similar to Raymond. I'm saying if Raymond hit free agency I'd have the same excitement as if Liden Vey, or Molignos, or Kerfoot or any other small, soft forward, which is basically zero. As I stated multiple times I'm ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE LEVEL OF MY ENTHUZIASM.

Let's be real we don't need another tiny, little, soft forward in our group. He doesn't move my hockey ***** in the slightest. This is THE ONLY point I'm making. I'm not comparing ANYONE.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Yeah so I still don't think you folks get it, or you're just arguing for shats and gaggles.

In no way am I saying Kerfoot is a player similar to Raymond. I'm saying if Raymond hit free agency I'd have the same excitement as if Liden Vey, or Molignos, or Kerfoot or any other small, soft forward, which is basically zero. As I stated multiple times I'm ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE LEVEL OF MY ENTHUZIASM.

Let's be real we don't need another tiny, little, soft forward in our group. He doesn't move my hockey ***** in the slightest. This is THE ONLY point I'm making. I'm not comparing ANYONE.

So you point is that you don't care for soft players, no matter the quality?

You would get just as excited if the Canucks signed Patrick Kane or Alex Kerfoot?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Either you guys

A) can't read

Do you guys engrish?

A few things to consider...

For the case of Raymond, it depends on WHICH version of Raymond you're talking about. He actually was productive for us for a while and had a good year for TML. After his year with TML, he even got a 9.5 mil/3 year deal from the Flames so Raymond did have a few good years. Of course Raymond now isn't going to be nearly as productive as Raymond a few years ago (reason he isn't playing in the NHL). Its like saying you don't want the Sedins now because they aren't nearly as productive as they used to be a few years ago... but a few years ago they were the best players in the world. You got to take context with comparison.

Kerfoot for example is compared to Raymond at his PEAK not Raymond now. Just like if you're comparing someone to the Sedins, you aren't comparing them to the Sedins now, rather Sedins at their prime. Remember Raymond actually had a 25g/53 point season with us AND is considered good defensively (or at least above average). Can play on both PK/PP... that by definition was a pretty good player.

He also had a 45 point season for the Leafs (which resulted in the 3 year deal he got from the Flames). Again that's roughly 2nd line production for someone who is not a liability defensively.

So honestly if Kerfoot can be prime Raymond, that's considered a pretty good player and if he reaches that potential, he would be a steal (since he'll be signed to an ELC, less than what the Flames paid for what they hope would be a productive Raymond).

That said, i don't see him as Raymond but more like Schroeder right now but 3 years younger with potential to be more. Basically a free 2nd/3rd round prospect who could step into the NHL right now but might be better off in the AHL (or borderline AHL/NHL). Top 6/PPG production in the AHL, while not exactly bad in the NHL either. Potentially a 3rd line C in the future

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The annoying thing about the general perception that people tend to have about Raymond is that the parts of Raymond's game that made him frustrated have nothing to do with what he tends to be criticized for. Raymond was not frustrating because he was a soft or passive player, he was small and wasn't going to be a tough-guy out there, but he held his own and got by just fine physically, in terms of battling for pucks and protecting pucks. The only frustrating thing about him was when he played with poor awareness and tunnel-vision in the offensive zone, failing to distribute the puck, use his line-mates, and make smart, supportive plays (not that this is always the case-- sometimes he's very good at this, and when he is, he's a fantastic player).

He plays well enough overall that this is easily forgivable (considering that the worst thing you can say about this is that he ONLY wastes time sawing off minutes in the offensive zone rather than mounting an effective attack). But if you really want to focus on his negatives, his weaknesses have more in common with guys like Sutter, Bulis, Booth, and Virtanen.
You know exactly what I'm saying big boi.
Yes, and what you're saying warrants the criticism that you're getting. Thinking that no negative connotations about a player's actual effectiveness is suggested by a statement like this:

"To me this is the equivilant of Vey, Brandon McMillan or Raymond. Would I lose any sleep if these players hit FA? Sure he's a free prospect but he seems like a long shot at becoming a NHL player."

.. and that only a lack of enthusiasm is expressed by it (somehow irrespective of effectiveness) suggests poor writing composition on your part, not poor reading comprehension on ours.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
Couldn't the argument be made that he's the next Tyler Johnson?

That would be pretty good.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
That said, i don't see him as Raymond but more like Schroeder right now but 3 years younger with potential to be more. Basically a free 2nd/3rd round prospect who could step into the NHL right now but might be better off in the AHL (or borderline AHL/NHL). Top 6/PPG production in the AHL, while not exactly bad in the NHL either. Potentially a 3rd line C in the future

Kerfoot, depending on his defensively awareness (can he be like Cogs and play in a checking role as well?) may be like Shink in either being a 2nd liner or bust in the NHL.

Small players who are not high picks don't get a very long look at the NHL. So, if he chance ever does come with whatever teams signs him, he needs to produce right away.

Right now, given the financial commitments and other prospects like Goldy, I don't see Kerfoot making the roster for Vancouver. He'd be destined for Utica, which is where he should start for any team, in the AHL and see where he goes from there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So you point is that you don't care for soft players, no matter the quality?

You would get just as excited if the Canucks signed Patrick Kane or Alex Kerfoot?

Players, who control the puck like Kane, are not soft. Those players are the targets of the most violence. They have internal toughness. I doubt Kerfoot is anywhere close to Kane in skill. If he was, he would be in the NHL already, earning millions. He's likely a fringe NHL player at best. He is a free asset though, so I do hope the Canucks sign him.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Kerfoot, depending on his defensively awareness (can he be like Cogs and play in a checking role as well?) may be like Shink in either being a 2nd liner or bust in the NHL.

Small players who are not high picks don't get a very long look at the NHL. So, if he chance ever does come with whatever teams signs him, he needs to produce right away.

Right now, given the financial commitments and other prospects like Goldy, I don't see Kerfoot making the roster for Vancouver. He'd be destined for Utica, which is where he should start for any team, in the AHL and see where he goes from there.

Funny thing is 3rd liners don't actually need to be great defensively anymore. The NHL has evolved to a point where you start seeing some offensive 3rd lines instead of just shut down 3 lines. For example, Gagner spent most of last season on the 3rd line with CBJ and he isn't great in his own end.

As far as Kerfoot in the AHL goes, i agree except for 1 thing, he has leverage and the thing he wants (or sounds like he wants) is NHL games. The contract terms will be the same but unlike Goldobin, he has leverage that could, in theory, force a team to agree to let him play X number of games in the NHL next season. Its the same reason Molino was in the NHL last year while Goldobin was in Utica. I don't think anyone has Molino ahead of Goldobin on their depth charts, prospect ranking, or basically anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad