Will the Canucks sign pending free agent Alex Kerfoot? (A: No.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Vancouver Native Alexander Kerfoot is probably hitting free agency tommorow, as it looks like he's not interested in New Jersey.

Dad is apparently part owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Posted solid numbers in Harvard, and yes... a Canuck fan.

Is he coming home? I'm all for free players, especially British Colombians going to war for Vancouver Canucks.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/16/alexander-kerfoot-and-canucks/

Last edited by a moderator:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1 - Greg Kerfoot is the driving financial force behind the whitecaps.

2 - Money will not be the determining factor for Alex. He has two interests. Playing for the Canucks, since both he and his dad are fans. Where he has the best opportunity. I have no idea how well off his dad is, but money will not be the driving force for Alex.

3 - I have had little contact with Greg in 35 years, but if Alex is anything like his dad, he is likely a diamond in the rough. Like Henrick Sedin, his strength is his smarts ... he will not be extremely valuable util his body is physically mature, say another 3 - 4 years.

This would be a great signing. I think in a few years he will be a valuable addition to whoever he signs with.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Benning will screw this up just WATCH :shakehead :rant:

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

Screw what up? Kerfoot likely isn't even going to be an NHL player. Yes FA prospects are nice but it doesn't mean we should, want or need to sign them. From all accounts Kerfoot is a long shot to be a pro player so let's not get all worked up.

And not landing a FA isn't "screwing" anything up since the player holds all the cards. All a GM can do is offer a contract and the player either accepts or doesn't.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He won't be signing here. We apparently have a log jam at center and he wants a chance to play.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex-kerfoot-not-signing-with-canucks-2017

Yeah, I don't give this article much credence, this was hashed over 2 weeks ago when the article came out. He is going to be a borderline NHL'er for years, he is not going to be guaranteed a spot anywhere, the Canucks are a weak team, and he has a better chance of cracking the lineup on a weak team regardless of that teams depth at center. If he is viable, that just means we can trade a center for another useful draft pick. It's an ELC either way, no team is going to offer him more money or a roster spot.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Sounds like he would be in direct competition with Adam Gaudette, for 3rd line center position. More depth is good depth. Do everything you can to sign him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He won't be signing here. We apparently have a log jam at center and he wants a chance to play.

You wonder if that 'log jam' gets mitigated pretty easily by having your dad be huge friends with the owner.

He's an OK prospect and I'd be OK with signing him, but would be worried he becomes an organizational pet ... like a John Negrin but at a higher level.

Would much rather be pushing hard for Will Butcher, but as an American being chased by US teams, he'd be a hard get.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

i hope this is just dailyhive talking bs again, cause If he's already given up from a log jam of prospects for crying out loud both gaudette and petterson at least 2 years away, and those are fellow prospects. Based on his current level it's pretty much a lot jam on every team, with other young centreman fighting for spots. There's no escaping it if he thinks he can sign on another club. He will need at least a year in the ahl unless he can do what the other be boy did in Troy stetcher.

Plus petterson and gaudette will not even be competing for a spot here this year so he actually has a opportunity here if he signs.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

giphy.gif

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Saying we have a log jam at centre is short sighted at best. We suck. If we add someone to our talent pool who could actually play pro and have some upside it would be a plus. There are also other forward positions for said logjam anyway. Most good players play centre in the minors...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a nice story....local kid and son of the Whitecaps owner coming home to play....but seems to me the Canucks have lots of wingers with a similar size and skillset.....and at 23, he's not getting any bigger than his current 5'10" 175 frame....a clone of Griffin Molino, Jayson Megna, Reid Boucher or Michael Carcone?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
It's a nice story....local kid and son of the Whitecaps owner coming home to play....but seems to me the Canucks have lots of wingers with a similar size and skillset.....and at 23, he's not getting any bigger than his current 5'10" 175 frame....a clone of Griffin Molino, Jayson Megna, Reid Boucher or Michael Carcone?

Different than Molino/Megna/Chaput because Kerfoot is more of an offensive C instead of a 2 way/defensive player. Similar to Boucher and Carcone except he plays C and is suppose to be better/more developed defensively. He's also more of a playmaker while Boucher is more of a finisher.

Regardless a "free" prospect would almost always be a good signing. Butcher is probably the big prize today but Kerfoot is probably the highest potential forward out of the UFA NCAA players today.

Its a long shot that we sign anyone but here's hoping... after all if the Blue Jaus still believe they can make the playoffs, then 'nucks should believe they can sign both Kerfoot and Butcher... :laugh:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I could care less, but most likely because of the families involved.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So I asked on the trade board about who else was available...

Got a list out of it:
Tomorrow is the day, actually.

These are the guys who are available:

Butcher, Kerfoot, and maybe Toninato are the only ones to be offered NHL contracts, imo.

Also it seems that the rights expire today... so signings can start occurring tomorrow.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

2 - Money will not be the determining factor for Alex. He has two interests. Playing for the Canucks, since both he and his dad are fans. Where he has the best opportunity. I have no idea how well off his dad is, but money will not be the driving force for Alex.

3 - I have had little contact with Greg in 35 years, but if Alex is anything like his dad, he is likely a diamond in the rough. Like Henrick Sedin, his strength is his smarts ... he will not be extremely valuable util his body is physically mature, say another 3 - 4 years.

This would be a great signing. I think in a few years he will be a valuable addition to whoever he signs with.
He's already 23.
In 3-4 seasons...I don't know if there will be a lot of teams ready to wait that long for him, especially considering he will be a FA, and there will be a decision to make (a decision that if you're correct is going to have to take into account he wasn't very good for the first 2-3 seasons).

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

Greg is a great guy and Alex is a good kid. Greg is worth more money than most think, but even so, I am not sure how small a role money will be playing because of that. Every son wants to prove his worth. From previous conversations I have had, I don't think he will be signing in Vancouver, but that was months ago.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Greg is a great guy and Alex is a good kid. Greg is worth more money than most think, but even so, I am not sure how small a role money will be playing because of that. Every son wants to prove his worth. From previous conversations I have had, I don't think he will be signing in Vancouver, but that was months ago.

who did you have these conversations with? as far as I know there is going to be a certain degree of a "log jam" whoever he signs for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad