Will the Canucks sign pending free agent Alex Kerfoot? (A: No.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Sportsnet, Kerfoot was meeting with Benning and the Canucks today....looks they're in the conversation at least.....and despite the fact that the Devils are likely to lose him for nothing, Shero is still saying good things about him as a player.

Given where the Canucks are in their rebuilding cycle, I'd be fine with the signing if he does want to play for his home-town team.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks have a log jam at center? Who knew? Have Horvat but then what

Sedins retires soon

Sutter and Gagner are basically wingers given their distribution ability.

Rest are plugs

Have some hopefuls but what else?

Think Canucks would be ideal for anyone looking to have any near term shot at center.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
So I asked on the trade board about who else was available...

Got a list out of it:

Also it seems that the rights expire today... so signings can start occurring tomorrow.

33 players on that list and not a single Canuck is being list this time around. Sweet!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks have a log jam at center? Who knew? Have Horvat but then what

Sedins retires soon

Sutter and Gagner are basically wingers given their distribution ability.

Rest are plugs

Have some hopefuls but what else?

Think Canucks would be ideal for anyone looking to have any near term shot at center.

Well, you see, if you have 4 or 5 names to write down at center and have some center prospects that you assume will develop perfectly the team has superb center ice depth! And that is where many people start and end.

Once you look at the quality of the players things begin to fall apart in a hurry...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am a little bit indifferent about this potential signing. He's kind of sought after so signing him would be exciting. But I see him as an average to solid player for Utica this season.

Jul 7, 2017
Well, you see, if you have 4 or 5 names to write down at center and have some center prospects that you assume will develop perfectly the team has superb center ice depth! And that is where many people start and end.

Once you look at the quality of the players things begin to fall apart in a hurry...

Well if you have horvat, petterson and gaudette as our future centermen where does kerfoot fit?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well if you have horvat, petterson and gaudette as our future centermen where does kerfoot fit?

A) that assumes everyone of this guys hits ceilings and likely better. Far ways from that yet. In addition this potential signing will turn 24 next summer...he isn't a guy that interferes with a prospect in college and in Sweden right now.

B) there is still at least 5 more centers needed for the organization and you'll want at least three of those guys to be able to play in the NHL either full time or in times of injury. 4th line, extra forward, AHL depth.

Does that mean I sign this guy? I'm ambivalent about it. He's 23 so he either makes the NHL in the next 12 months or he likely never will. I look at him as potential AHL depth and not much more. A basic minimum salary entry level deal I have no real issues on the surface. Though I must admit I have no idea of the contract numbers for the organization or much about the player other than he's an undersized 23 year old that has some decent college numbers.

Essentially it is a rare NHL team that actually has too much depth at any position. You don't avoid getting an asset because you have guys penciled into a lineup a couple years down the road. Prospects bust. Injuries. Trades. In the end it all shakes out and rarely is a older NHL capable player trapped in the minors behind too much depth. Teams make room for such players especially under a cap system. Linden Vey wasn't a guy trapped behind depth. He wasn't an actual NHL player for instance. If he was the Kings make room for him somehow.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

You don't have Gaudette for another year at least. Petersson isn't even in NA yet. Neither one of these guys has proven to be can't miss. The Comets don't have a plehtora of centers waiting in line or pushing to make the Canucks and only Chaput is barely adequate to play in the NHL. Cassels and Hamilton are not going to be there. Any organization worth its salt signs as much depth as they can get knowing that based on history most of the guys they have will not achieve their ceilings. Would it be a bad thing to have too many top quality players at any position? That is a headache any organization prays for. The Canucks right now are not rich down the middle. The future is an unknown. You don't pass up the chance to sign a guy with decent promise if you can get him for nothing more than a entry level contract. JC, they have given that kind of contract to guys with far less promise, just as examples LaPlante, Carcone, Sautner, and Stewart.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
You don't have Gaudette for another year at least. Petersson isn't even in NA yet. Neither one of these guys has proven to be can't miss. The Comets don't have a plehtora of centers waiting in line or pushing to make the Canucks and only Chaput is barely adequate to play in the NHL. Cassels and Hamilton are not going to be there. Any organization worth its salt signs as much depth as they can get knowing that based on history most of the guys they have will not achieve their ceilings. Would it be a bad thing to have too many top quality players at any position? That is a headache any organization prays for. The Canucks right now are not rich down the middle. The future is an unknown. You don't pass up the chance to sign a guy with decent promise if you can get him for nothing more than a entry level contract. JC, they have given that kind of contract to guys with far less promise, just as examples LaPlante, Carcone, Sautner, and Stewart.

Add to that Gaudette could pull a Kerfoot and play 4 years of college hockey and become a free agent himself. You can never have too much depth at center.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Add to that Gaudette could pull a Kerfoot and play 4 years of college hockey and become a free agent himself. You can never have too much depth at center.

Look at his twitter Gaudette loves Vancity and the Canucks

Has any other player who bolted from his draft team after 3 years ever made so much public about the team he ditched? Doubt it... :shakehead

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Has any other player who bolted from his draft team after 3 years ever made so much public about the team he ditched? Doubt it... :shakehead

I couldn't say, I don't follow other teams prospects on social media.

However Jimmy Vesey did tell Nashville all along that he was going to sign him them. Up until he didn't.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NHL.com reports that Kerfoot's agent said they had a productive and informative meeting with the Canucks.

This kid isn't exactly chopped liver. He was just a Hobey Baker Award finalist for the best player in the NCAA. Not exactly a shabby prospect.

Remember where Demko was one year removed and where Boeser just came from and where Gaudette and Lockwood are currently based. These guys were and are high profile and successful NCAA players.

Kerfoot and Butcher are the latest to become available and remember both were drafted. They aren't guys who just finished successful NCAA seasons and have become free agents because no one noticed them up to now.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

He also loves every sports team in Boston. I'm not saying that he won't sign with Vancouver but until he does Gaudette is not on the depth chart above Kerfoot if Alex did sign.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd love to see what Kerfoot could do in Utica....but if history is any guide, the transition from college hockey to even the AHL can be a rocky one.....Hopefully the Comets are still on the lookout for a veteran centre, but even that might not be as big a concern if a guy like Chaput ends up back in the AHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'd love to see what Kerfoot could do in Utica....but if history is any guide, the transition from college hockey to even the AHL can be a rocky one.....Hopefully the Comets are still on the lookout for a veteran centre, but even that might not be as big a concern if a guy like Chaput ends up back in the AHL.

Sure, but for how long? He put up 13 points in the first 10 games last season and never saw Utica again. He will still be the first center recalled since he is the only one down on the farm who can minimally handle an NHL role even if he can't score at that level.

"the transition from college hockey to even the AHL can be a rocky one"

If Boeser, Demko, Vesey, Caggiula, Stecher, and Hutton as examples are any indication, I'd take my chances with Kerfoot over Cassels, Hamilton, or MacEwen at this stage.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
On the wing or in Utica.

Funny thing is Pettersson can also play on the wing (tho seems better at C).

Remember its easier for a C to go to the wing than the other way around. Honestly we'll probably have 6-8 players in our opening day line-up who played C most of their career until the NHL.

Namely: Sedin, Horvat, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner + 1-3 of the following: Gaunce, Burmistrov, Chaput, Megna, Molino.

Even prospect wise, Dahlen and Pettersson both played C (tho played together last year with Dahlen moving to LW). Carcone also played C in the CHL i think, MacEwen too. Basically when you think about it, most teams likely will have close to half their forwards who played C before they became NHLers (or AHLers).

Kerfoot really seems to be a BETTER version of Valk right now so he really should be in the AHL next season but given the amount of leverage he has, it might take a NHL promise to get him to sign (i.e. 10 games, 15 games, etc). Not sure if the "you will get to compete for a spot" is enough given the leverage he has.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

They won't because there's already 4 AHLers who are "veterans" signed next season plus probably 2 heading down from the team (rather its Megna, Chaput, or both). You can only dress 5 for a game so signing another just to rotate them in/play 2/3 games isn't a good use of assets (realistically probably less since Sifers and Archibald likely will get a bigger share of "vet" games as in likely playing every game instead of a rotation... same for Megna/Chaput). If we start piling up injuries (like last year), then it might make more sense to add another veteran.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Kerfoot....really?

Oops.....fits this scouting staff to a T

Give him a 1-way. He'll sign here :laugh:

Guaranteed 900g for a few seasons...I'd do it.

Sorry sheldon, never quite sure when u are using sarcasm. ......

Anyhow, he can only sign a ELC ... but I think the Canucks can promise 5 - 10 games this year in the NHL, i think that would do it ....

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I could care less if we sign Kerfoot or not. Does this team really need another super small, soft, average player? His stats and scouting line don't lend to him being a sure fire top 6 NHL player and he certainly doesn't seem to be "typical" bottom 6 player.

To me this is the equivilant of Vey, Brandon McMillan or Raymond. Would I lose any sleep if these players hit FA? Sure he's a free prospect but he seems like a long shot at becoming a NHL player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I could care less if we sign Kerfoot or not. Does this team really need another super small, soft, average player? His stats and scouting line don't lend to him being a sure fire top 6 NHL player and he certainly doesn't seem to be "typical" bottom 6 player.

To me this is the equivilant of Vey, Brandon McMillan or Raymond. Would I lose any sleep if these players hit FA? Sure he's a free prospect but he seems like a long shot at becoming a NHL player.

Lumping Mason Raymond in with Linden Vey and Brandon McMillan is a complete joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->