Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We definitely see the situation after all quite differently. I see no problem with the effort that either Laine or Ehlers are having. Not being a great grinder or especially good in board battles does not definitely automatically mean that a player lacks the will to work. Sometimes it can be even about that, but in Laine’s and Ehlers’s case it is definitely about them not being physically developed enough to be very strong in battle situations. In Laine’s case he needs to also clearly develop his stamina much more.

But still either of them is not as bad in battles and defensive play, as some people are constantly trying to claim here. The 5 on 5 goal difference that the Jets have when they are on the ice should prove it, if some people don’t realize just by watching them play.

But neither Laine nor Ehlers have board play or grinding as their biggest strength and in my opinion it’s practically crazy to expect them to ever be players that are going to seriously excel in those areas. Sure they can get stronger and learn to become better with them. But it’s not like either of them is hopeless even now, as if they were, it would be impossible for the Jets to have such good 5 on 5 goal difference even when they are both playing on the same line.

But there is still no reason to not try to have optimal lines in the way where players have different kind of roles, and their strengths are used to exactly support their linemates with some areas that are not their biggest strengths. Much better to have one great grinder playing with a great playmaker and a great goalscorer than have three great playmakers playing together, or three great goalscorers playing together, or three great grinders playing together. Just simply because strengths combine better with supporting the possible weaknesses in the lines. Three players with similar strengths and similar weaknesses make for most probably a weaker line.

In my opion the Jets have exactly enough of all kinds of players to mix them in the right combinations to have at least two very good scoring lines that are not really weak in any particular way. In my opion it’s really strange talk to say that good playmakers like Scheifele or Stastny wouldn’t want to play with good goalscorers like Laine or Ehlers. But it’s in my opinion also strange to think that they wouldn’t also want then the other winger in their line to be then more of a real puckbattle winning pest that can still play with at least ok skill. I mean Scheifele and Stastny would be practically morons to not want to play with a scoring winger like Laine, but I’m pretty sure that they would be happier to have a player like Wheeler of Perreault on their other wing, if their other winger is either Laine or Ehlers, than to have both Laine and Ehlers as their wingers.

And honestly Laine’s and Ehlers’s biggest problem is in fact not their defensive play when they play together, but it is in fact that they don’t connect very well in the offence. To me it looks very clearly like they just don’t think about playing offence too much in the same way. Well, both are for sure more shooters than passers, but they think still differently about how to play passing plays and where to find open space in the offensive zone.

They can be both already excellent players if they are supported with the right kind of players. And they can be much more effective for the Jets with those kind of linemates. They can for sure still learn to be better in battles and more physical situations, but they don’t need to be put in to the situations where they can’t use their strengths optimally to help the team, while learning to become better with the areas that are not their strength. They are not stupid kids, so I think it’s wrong to think that if they have one great grinder helping them get better the puck will make them somehow not do work themselves. I believe they would in fact learn better in the way that they would be constantly playing with players whom have strengths that exactly cover for their weaker areas.

No special talent in hockey has been a real allaround elite player. Every player has their stronger areas and weaker areas and no one can ever make all players as good as some others in all areas. That is why you need the right roles and combinations to have optimal lines and a very well working team. The Jets have mostly the right players for doing it, but unfortunately they don’t have the coach whom knows how to do the optimizing.

I'll agree with you on your first point (in bold) and leave it at that. I know where you stand on both these players and you know where I stand. Typing it out again (only in longer form) doesn't really change anything so I'll keep my reply short.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'll agree with you on your first point (in bold) and leave it at that. I know where you stand on both these players and you know where I stand. Typing it out again (only in longer form) doesn't really change anything so I'll keep my reply short.
Doesn’t really matter if you don’t bother to answer anything. I wasn’t anyway looking for a specific discussion with you. Just making my point clear in general, and making sure that we are not mistaken here to have the same opinion in this matter. That was the only reason why I really replied to your post.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
If these rumors are true (and there’s so many going on that I’m inclined to believe them) they definitely have a verbal agreement in place to sign Stastny. I say he’s a Jet next year as well.
Why would they have a verbal deal? Why not sign him now as he still is Jets property until June 30th. That's the part of this I find hard to believe.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Why would they have a verbal deal? Why not sign him now as he still is Jets property until June 30th. That's the part of this I find hard to believe.

You are right, I was thinking that maybe the deal just hasn’t been formalized yet/they are still ironing out some details, but the intention is to sign him. Just speculating here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some teams wait until the finals are over to announce things
Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets have completed a number of contracts that they will announce after the SC Finals. Some dominoes have probably already fallen. I expect that the next few weeks will be very interesting and revealing of the Jets' perspectives and strategy, particularly with respect to short vs. long-term priorities.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets have completed a number of contracts that they will announce after the SC Finals. Some dominoes have probably already fallen. I expect that the next few weeks will be very interesting and revealing of the Jets' perspectives and strategy, particularly with respect to short vs. long-term priorities.
Okay you give today and up until after the parade without any announcements if you are a play be the expected unwritten rules organization which we are. The day after everything should be open season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Okay you give today and up until after the parade without any announcements if you are a play be the expected unwritten rules organization which we are. The day after everything should be open season.

I would think Monday would be the earliest the org would announce anything.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Where's the stastny signing? Awaiting that or at least more details of the house he's building

If anyone has legit contacts I'd love to be put in touch - I'm a flooring contractor and I have always wanted to be involved in one of these guys projects lol

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Laine doesn't have much issue going to the wall to fight for pucks but at 19 he hasn't gotten to the point where he is strong enough to win most of the battles.

Laine circles away from puck battles more often than he engages in them, maybe waves his stick at the guy from eight feet away to make it look like he's trying. And it's got nothing to do with strength -- he's plenty strong enough to win puck battles, as he has demonstrated on occasion (just not enough occasions). He needs to set his mind to it and eliminate the wuss from his game.

Reactions: RRenegade

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I really really hope we don't shed depth or forgo futures in order to sign Stas. Please, lord, may the same good angel who sent Ladd to NYI intervene and tempt Paul S away to greener pastures...

I dunno
Ladd and Stasny are two wholly different comparisons imo, different positions (C vs wing) and enhanced the team in different ways (older team, battles, leader vs clutch playoff guy and dream between two young studs)

Ladd wanted the $
Stats wants the cup

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Darren Dreger on the Paul Stastny possibly returning to Winnipeg:

“There is one thing standing in the way, and it’s an enormous hurdle, it’s called cap space, Kevin Cheveldayoff has none of it…To even get him at a bargain rate of say $5.5M, he’s going to have to move bodies.”

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have crunched some numbers. Even with a Morrissey bridge he will have to do the following to fit Stastny in at a reasonable amount at $5.5 million:

Move one of Perrault/Mason/Kulikov
Move one of Little/Myers
Move one of Chariot/Armia

He essentially has to clear about 10 million in salary next season to make it work.

Given how trade adverse this league is does anyone actually think he will be able to make all those moves to open enough space to bring Paul back?

It just seems to daunting for me to believe it is anything more then a pipe dream. Especially considering Chevy only really has another couple of days to pull it off.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Darren Dreger on the Paul Stastny possibly returning to Winnipeg:

“There is one thing standing in the way, and it’s an enormous hurdle, it’s called cap space, Kevin Cheveldayoff has none of it…To even get him at a bargain rate of say $5.5M, he’s going to have to move bodies.”
Wow, this "Dreger" guy is flat-out genius. Where would we be without takes like that? :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have crunched some numbers. Even with a Morrissey bridge he will have to do the following to fit Stastny in at a reasonable amount at $5.5 million:

Move one of Perrault/Mason/Kulikov
Move one of Little/Myers
Move one of Chariot/Armia

He essentially has to clear about 10 million in salary next season to make it work.

Given how trade adverse this league is does anyone actually think he will be able to make all those moves to open enough space to bring Paul back?

It just seems to daunting for me to believe it is anything more then a pipe dream. Especially considering Chevy only really has another couple of days to pull it off.
Nothing says that Stastny has to sign right on July 1. He could wait and let teams work on their cap situation and then make a decision. There isn't a huge amount of UFA competition at the C position, so he can be patient and pick and choose as things settle in.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nothing says that Stastny has to sign right on July 1. He could wait and let teams work on their cap situation and then make a decision. There isn't a huge amount of UFA competition at the C position, so he can be patient and pick and choose as things settle in.

Your right he could do that but I would be expecting him to sign withen the first few days. You almost never see UFA of his caliber remain unsigned that long after July 1.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Your right he could do that but I would be expecting him to sign withen the first few days. You almost never see UFA of his caliber remain unsigned that long after July 1.
Agree. I guess it depends on how serious his talks are with teams like the Jets.

Still, the Jets would have a very tough time keeping Stastny beyond this season. Having him and Little at C with over $10M in salary is a luxury the Jets would have a hard time managing as their young guns move off their ELCs. Still, the Jets' window really is now, and the following season. It'll be interesting to see how aggressively the Jets pursue top contender status right now, vs. trying to preserve future assets, etc. We are in uncharted territory here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. I guess it depends on how serious his talks are with teams like the Jets.

Still, the Jets would have a very tough time keeping Stastny beyond this season. Having him and Little at C with over $10M in salary is a luxury the Jets would have a hard time managing as their young guns move off their ELCs. Still, the Jets' window really is now, and the following season. It'll be interesting to see how aggressively the Jets pursue top contender status right now, vs. trying to preserve future assets, etc. We are in uncharted territory here.

It will be interesting. If Chevy manages his assets right we can keep the window open for the next 5 years or so. I hope he isn't thinking it's next year or bust. The team has the yoing talent to contend for quite a while still.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I must be missing something. When we first traded for Stastny it appeared that he had chemistry with Laine and Ehlers. That lasted for about 20 games or so and then fizzled out. In the playoffs Ehlers had no goals in 15 games and Laine had 5 goals in 17 games, 3 of which came on the power play. I don't call that chemistry and i would really hate for the Jets to ty up a bunch of cash in a 32 year old. The Jets are going to have a tough enough time re-signing Wheeler next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad