Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
It feels worth mentioning here that the Jets were prepared to have Brassard on the books next year at $5 million. Not saying Stastny would take that but the Jets were prepared to take that on. Having that term on a rental is probably why Brassard was Chevy's first choice.

You would have to think that internally discussions about who goes next year if Brassard was acquired had taken place. If Stastny and the Jets do not make a deal happen we could still take some of that money and put it into another center even if he isn't a clear cut 2C (slim pickings in the free agent pool this year).

Unless we get some team friendly deals this offseason somebody has to go. Unless they pivot away from signing Stastny and use that money to keep Myers and Perreault for another year. The stars would need to align (literally) for that to happen though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If i recall correctly Perreault-Little-Ehlers was a pretty good line when Laine went up to the first line. maybe do

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault/Connor-Little-Ehlers
Perreault/Connor-Roslovic-Armia (want more of a shoot-first player on this line that's why im torn b/w KC and MP)
CLT

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It feels worth mentioning here that the Jets were prepared to have Brassard on the books next year at $5 million. Not saying Stastny would take that but the Jets were prepared to take that on. Having that term on a rental is probably why Brassard was Chevy's first choice.

You would have to think that internally discussions about who goes next year if Brassard was acquired had taken place. If Stastny and the Jets do not make a deal happen we could still take some of that money and put it into another center even if he isn't a clear cut 2C (slim pickings in the free agent pool this year).

Unless we get some team friendly deals this offseason somebody has to go. Unless they pivot away from signing Stastny and use that money to keep Myers and Perreault for another year. The stars would need to align (literally) for that to happen though.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but you are assuming the Sens didn't retain.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not saying you are wrong, but you are assuming the Sens didn't retain.
Wasn't the salt in the wounds about losing Brassard the fact that the Jets didn't ask for retention but Pittsburgh did? And, that's when Vegas stepped in as a middle man to take on the retention on Pittsburgh's behalf. I really can't remember.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Your assessment is likely correct but we have seen players accept less term to stay in an environment they like. Thornton in San Jose is a good example, has signed three year deals at slightly less than market value for a while now.

Campbell signing a 1 year deal at minimum dollars with the Hawks to win one last championship. Year prior he had 31 points in 82 games and was a plus 31 and anchored Florida to the playoffs. He easily could have found more cash from someone else if he wanted.

Not everyone is always looking to maximize income all the time.

Agreed, there are likely lots of variables in accepting a contract that all add up to fair compensation. Location, team dynanmics, line mates, chance of being a strong contender, schools (if they have kids), does the spouse like it, fit in the locker room, salary, traffic, weather, etc. When I have made carreer changes I made a list of similar items and it all added up to my decision, it's not just the money.

However, I have no idea how highly paid athletes think.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
PoMo has been really clear about how much he dislikes the idea of Laine playing with Scheifele and Wheeler. He never gave them even an opportunity. He only threw them under the bus just to show the world that he is "right", when Scheifele was really rusty as he made his comeback after his injury. Was it 1 or even 2 periods he gave to them to gel. You know, he is a really generous guy. The same guy that gave ELL some 30 games and even after that never admitted he was so wrong.

So I am not really expecting to see Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler together, and that's fine. I don't think that would be optimal for the Jets.

If Stastny is lost and if Roslovic is not ready, the only sane option is to reunite Wheeler with Little and Scheifele with Laine. Just toss a coin to decide whether Connor or Ehlers play with Scheifele or Little. They pretty similar players anyway.

That said, I am not positive that Wheeler allows that. And I don't think PoMo has authority over Wheeler.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wasn't the salt in the wounds about losing Brassard the fact that the Jets didn't ask for retention but Pittsburgh did? And, that's when Vegas stepped in as a middle man to take on the retention on Pittsburgh's behalf. I really can't remember.

Another angle that has been brought up in the past is renting Brassard and then selling Brassard him at the draft to recoup some value.

Reactions: spellchecker45

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another angle that has been brought up in the past is renting Brassard and then selling Brassard him at the draft to recoup some value.
I could have seen the Jets acquire Brassard at the trade deadline and then trading him now to recoup value and not worry about his cap hit next season.

The Jets might be able to squeeze in a $5-6M C on their roster this season (if they move Myers and perhaps Perreault), but they would probably not be able to keep that contract for 2019/20 when Laine and Wheeler need new contracts. That's why I could see them trading for Brassard and letting his contract expire after this season, or my preferred route would be to acquire a C with a longer contract and then trade the player after another playoff run. RNH is an example.

One option with Stastny is signing him to a longer term deal that would leave him tradeable after this upcoming season. The biggest mistake would be to sign Stastny or another C to an albatross contract that can't be moved after this season, and then getting caught in a bad cap crunch next off-season.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Ehlers gelled just fine with Little when they had Perrault as their other winger.

We already have a good second line center in Little. Instead of going through hoops in order to try to fit an aging player in cap wise, why don't we think a bit outside the box and maybe tweak our lines a bit in order to get the best our of everyone. Laine and Ehlers don't need to be joined at the hip, in fact id argue they are better apart. Wheeler and Chef also don't need to be joined at the hip. One simple swap of RW and I think the problem of chemistry is solved.

I don't think that's outside-the-box thinking at all. It's completely basic coaching stuff. The question is, can Maurice manage it?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I am glad to see someone picked up on that lol. That is the million dollar question isn't it.
The million dollar question is will it work, not whether he can manage it. While I support the switch at right wing with Laine and Wheeler, I'm under no illusion it's a slam dunk. If it's not, how does he manage it?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The million dollar question is will it work, not whether he can manage it. While I support the switch at right wing with Laine and Wheeler, I'm under no illusion it's a slam dunk. If it's not, how does he manage it?

Well Chef and Laine scored a tonne together the year prior so its not like we have no basis to go on. The key will be Laine being physically ready to take that next step with the rest of his game. Given that it will be his third year in the league I am optimistic he will be. If not there are a number of other combinations that can be tried. Maurice seemed to do the opposite last season as the season before. He was not very quick to change lines this past season whereas the year before the blender was out in full force. A bit of a happy medium between the two would be welcome.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well Chef and Laine scored a tonne together the year prior so its not like we have no basis to go on. The key will be Laine being physically ready to take that next step with the rest of his game. Given that it will be his third year in the league I am optimistic he will be. If not there are a number of other combinations that can be tried. Maurice seemed to do the opposite last season as the season before. He was not very quick to change lines this past season whereas the year before the blender was out in full force. A bit of a happy medium between the two would be welcome.
I don't disagree and Little and Wheeler have a good track record together as well. I just found it curious that the presumption seemed to be whether Mo would be able to figure it out, based on last season, which ironically was a much better season than the previous one.

Still, it's hard to envision Wheeler's TOI drop to the extent it could playing 2nd line. Also, one of the biggest criticisms of CSW this season was them bleeding defensively. I don't see that changing with Laine.

It will be interesting to see which direction they go if they don't retain Stas or pick up another 2C..

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
The problem with both Laine & Ehlers is that they do not protect the puck very well and are terrible at cycling it in the corner and along the boards. Scheifele and Wheeler play the cycle game probably half of the time. Laine & Ehlers may be able to add that to their games with more experience and desire.

Reactions: PerryPooley

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
PoMo has been really clear about how much he dislikes the idea of Laine playing with Scheifele and Wheeler. He never gave them even an opportunity. He only threw them under the bus just to show the world that he is "right", when Scheifele was really rusty as he made his comeback after his injury. Was it 1 or even 2 periods he gave to them to gel. You know, he is a really generous guy. The same guy that gave ELL some 30 games and even after that never admitted he was so wrong.

So I am not really expecting to see Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler together, and that's fine. I don't think that would be optimal for the Jets.

If Stastny is lost and if Roslovic is not ready, the only sane option is to reunite Wheeler with Little and Scheifele with Laine. Just toss a coin to decide whether Connor or Ehlers play with Scheifele or Little. They pretty similar players anyway.

That said, I am not positive that Wheeler allows that. And I don't think PoMo has authority over Wheeler.

This is what I could not understand either. Why would a coach be so dead set about a certain line being inadequate when having so little data to make a quality assessment. If anything, it seemed nothing more than an uneducated assumption. I remember that some fans even mentioned that Maurice said this was a bad combination in an interview before the game where he tried it out for a grand total of two whole periods. This only after Scheifele had just recovered from the injury and was destined not to look so good in the next/first game (quite far from it in actually). P.Mo seemed to want this experiment just to show how "right" he was when in reality we will never know how they might have gelled with one another. Things like this is why I dislike Maurice. For the record, he did not seem to have any trouble giving tryouts for other top six forwards in this line - Connor, Ehlers and Perreault at least. If he wanted Laine in the second line, why not just come forth and say hey we need to balance up the offensive output?

You are quite right about the lines in case of Stastny not continuing with the team. The ELL won't work, there's no point even to try it. One option would be to switch places between Wheelers and Laine, cause Wheelers is pretty good at doing the heavy lifting that Little needs in order to find time and space to properly be effective offensively. However I seem to recall that even they seemed to struggle together last year. Of course I hope Roslovic is ready, but at this point we simply just cannot know one way or the other. Although common sense would probably say he needs one more year on the wing considering that the Jets are a contender. This might indeed leave Wheelers up for the task where one of the good things would be that then both top lines would without a doubt have line drivers and the team could better utilize Laine's one-timers. At this point we also cannot know how much better Laine is what comes to driving a line, yet regardless w/o a proper playmaker the team would be wasting an offensive weapon while not trying to get the most out of that shooting arsenal. Also as Ippenator mentioned, they should just split Ehlers and Laine cause they're both goal scorers with shoot first mentality and their games look too inconsistent while playing together, which to me seems like the main problem. In the regular season at least Ehlers was able to have good games with Laine as opposed to being shutdown entirely.

Yeah, Wheelers may not like the idea of playing w/o Scheifele and I'm not convinced either that P.Mo actually holds much or any authority over him (same seems to apply to Buff to a lesser extent). Also as long as he has Wheelers good will, he has the locker room and as long as Wheelers is in the prime position, he will continue giving high praises towards Maurice. They seem to feed off from each other in some sense. This also scares me at the same time cause P.Mo might feel he's being cornered and that could potentially open up an avenue to another experience of ELL- with him, you can never be too sure no matter what the history has already taught us. After all lets not forget that this trio was forced some half a season despite of fans, their cousins, grandmas' and probably even household pets saw they were the exact opposite of a perfect match.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't disagree and Little and Wheeler have a good track record together as well. I just found it curious that the presumption seemed to be whether Mo would be able to figure it out, based on last season, which ironically was a much better season than the previous one.

Still, it's hard to envision Wheeler's TOI drop to the extent it could playing 2nd line. Also, one of the biggest criticisms of CSW this season was them bleeding defensively. I don't see that changing with Laine.

It will be interesting to see which direction they go if they don't retain Stas or pick up another 2C..

I think Laine is better defensively than Wheeler. That could be matchups though.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The problem with both Laine & Ehlers is that they do not protect the puck very well and are terrible at cycling it in the corner and along the boards. Scheifele and Wheeler play the cycle game probably half of the time. Laine & Ehlers may be able to add that to their games with more experience and desire.

I'm actually not a big fan of cycling the puck as much as CSW did this year. They spent a lot of time against the boards in the O zone and never getting a shot off. I don't think cycling would be a good use of Laine's skills.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Not quite. Vegas helped the Pens because they did not want the Jets to get Brassard in case they met in the conference finals thus taking on some of his salary. They would never have helped us.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Ehlers will always have a small frame and rely on his quickness. But Laine is going to grow into his body, get smarter, stronger and more consistent in puck protection. With his reach, at 6'5 when he gets his man strength he will be a lot more effective.

Reactions: RRenegade

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Not sure how one can come to THAT conclusion.

Giveaways, blind passes in our zone, blowing the zone without the puck, back checking etc. I thought Wheeler was horrible defensively. I thought Laine surpassed him by the playoffs. I'm willing to be wrong, but that's what I saw.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Giveaways, blind passes in our zone, blowing the zone without the puck, back checking etc. I thought Wheeler was horrible defensively. I thought Laine surpassed him by the playoffs. I'm willing to be wrong, but that's what I saw.

I’m not saying either are good defensively, but I would definitely say Wheeler is the lesser of the two evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->