Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
My prediction: If Myers is still a Jet on July 1, Stastny won’t be re-signing. I think the only way he is retained is if we can dump Myers’ salary. His solid playoffs may have cleared the stink of his rough regular season enough for someone to want him, but who knows.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I must be missing something. When we first traded for Stastny it appeared that he had chemistry with Laine and Ehlers. That lasted for about 20 games or so and then fizzled out. In the playoffs Ehlers had no goals in 15 games and Laine had 5 goals in 17 games, 3 of which came on the power play. I don't call that chemistry and i would really hate for the Jets to ty up a bunch of cash in a 32 year old. The Jets are going to have a tough enough time re-signing Wheeler next year.

I agree for the most part. I feel like this may be one of those situations where a GM has to be saved from himself. And I'd much rather have Wheels than Stas, if we have to sign a vet past his apparent sell-by.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree for the most part. I feel like this may be one of those situations where a GM has to be saved from himself. And I'd much rather have Wheels than Stas, if we have to sign a vet past his apparent sell-by.
Since when does Chevy have to be saved from himself? He is one of the most methodical one step at a time GM's in the league. If he needed to be saved from himself he would have thrown a ton of cash and term at Stastny following the high of a franchise best playoff run. Instead he let sober second thought come into play and let it go to the courting period where teams could make their best offers. My guess is Stastny has an offer on the table from the Jets for what they are willing to pay, if he wants it.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Can the Jets do this?:

- Sign him to a multi-year contract
- Clear enough cap space to make it work for this upcoming season only
-Arrange a mutual trade with Stastny after this season for futures

It would act as the same as singing Stastny to a 1 year contract expect Stastny gets the security of a multi-year deal in his pocket. Jets get essential an additional "rental" year and Statsny gets another good chance at the Cup.

It would also buy the Jets more time to develop a Roslovic/Appleton to possibly take over the #2 centre role in 2 years time.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
My feeling is there's a deal done with Stastny now and is already to announce but the deal to make room on the Cap is not. The Jets need to get the Trouba deal done or trade him. I've heard Trouba wants $8.0M average which I understand is all part of negotiations but the Jets need a majority of the RFA's needs to be done or at least the numbers revealed.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I have to say I am moving a way from the idea of signing Stastny as being the right move. Yes, this coming year, it would be great. After that though, Wheeler at 33 will be due for a 7 mill 4 year contract at minimum. Paul will be 33 at Christmas.

I just see us as digging a big salary cap hole, impeding home grown player growth and limiting future potential signings.
Not to mention the gamble of ditching the wrong player(s) to free up cap space to sign him.

We shall see. Very interesting time of year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think you have to bring him back.

If you let him sign in Colorado, St. Louis, or Chicago (who I think would bid), the Jets aren't the top team in the Central down the middle anymore, maybe middle of the pack. So you have to hope that goaltending and team defense are superior again. An injury or two and that is in question. I don't pick the Jets as favourites without Stastny.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m still holding out hope for a 2 year deal with an aav of $5.5 mill. With a couple of moves, we can fit that in and having Stastny for a couple of years will boost our playoff chances.

Anything more in terms of salary or term, and it’s very hard to fit in or prevent it from being a boat anchor deal as Stastny starts to decline too much, imo.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think they just roll Scheifele, Little Lowry and have Roslovic play a sheltered offensive role. If we need depth at C we can trade for a lesser one at the TDL. If we trade guys before July 1st my mind might be changed.

Reactions: Jack722 and surixon

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think they just roll Scheifele, Little Lowry and have Roslovic play a sheltered offensive role. If we need depth at C we can trade for a lesser one at the TDL. If we trade guys before July 1st my mind might be changed.

I suppose we could count on that happening if trades were as easy to pull off in real life as they are on these boards.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
I must be missing something. When we first traded for Stastny it appeared that he had chemistry with Laine and Ehlers. That lasted for about 20 games or so and then fizzled out. In the playoffs Ehlers had no goals in 15 games and Laine had 5 goals in 17 games, 3 of which came on the power play. I don't call that chemistry and i would really hate for the Jets to ty up a bunch of cash in a 32 year old. The Jets are going to have a tough enough time re-signing Wheeler next year.
What happened to Stastny's goals? They're a part of that line's performance, are they not?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Hey, Avs fan coming in peace.

I’ve heard in multiple places people saying that Stastny is building a home in Winnipeg, but I cannot for the life of me find a corroborating source that isn’t just other people mentioning it.

I just want to get my facts straight, so if anyone would be nice enough to point me to the source of that stuff, I’d be much appreciative

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I’ve heard in multiple places people saying that Stastny is building a home in Winnipeg, but I cannot for the life of me find a corroborating source that isn’t just other people mentioning it.

I just want to get my facts straight, so if anyone would be nice enough to point me to the source of that stuff, I’d be much appreciative

We've heard rumblings here about that for a while now but nothing concrete.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Stastny has/had a home in STL when he played there, and he has maintained a residence in Denver in the offseason. I'd be extremely surprised, barring him actually signing a long-term deal in Winnipeg, if he was purchasing/building a home there.

The idea that any athlete, in any sport, who is a pending UFA that is a trade deadline acquisition buying a home without clarification on their situation with that team is just...kind of stupid.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stastny has/had a home in STL when he played there, and he has maintained a residence in Denver in the offseason. I'd be extremely surprised, barring him actually signing a long-term deal in Winnipeg, if he was purchasing/building a home there.

The idea that any athlete, in any sport, who is a pending UFA that is a trade deadline acquisition buying a home without clarification on their situation with that team is just...kind of stupid.
Well, maybe his future has already been clarified, but can't be revealed publicly because the Jets are in the midst of making the other necessary moves.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well, maybe his future has already been clarified, but can't be revealed publicly because the Jets are in the midst of making the other necessary moves.

Yes, that is possible, I wasn't discounting the idea of him re-signing in Winnipeg.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Can the Jets do this?:

- Sign him to a multi-year contract
- Clear enough cap space to make it work for this upcoming season only
-Arrange a mutual trade with Stastny after this season for futures

I think the Jets can be over the cap all summer if they choose.

They just have to be under the cap when the season begins.

Nov 24, 2006

I read somewhere on HF (it may have been this thread, lol) that "some guy that knows some other guy" is doing work on a house in the city here somewhere. Other than that, nothing official.

I'd be surprised if it were true, but who knows.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Since when does Chevy have to be saved from himself? He is one of the most methodical one step at a time GM's in the league. If he needed to be saved from himself he would have thrown a ton of cash and term at Stastny following the high of a franchise best playoff run. Instead he let sober second thought come into play and let it go to the courting period where teams could make their best offers. My guess is Stastny has an offer on the table from the Jets for what they are willing to pay, if he wants it.

Every GM has blind spots, and Chevy isn't immune from making less than stellar deals. Giving up a first for Stas adds incentive to make that trade count by extending him. Not predicting this, just articulating a personal reservation.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think the Jets can be over the cap all summer if they choose.

They just have to be under the cap when the season begins.

Yep. If they were signing him he'd be signed already. I think there's an agreement in place if they can find the space by July 1 but if not they won't stand in the way of him exploring options.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yep. If they were signing him he'd be signed already. I think there's an agreement in place if they can find the space by July 1 but if not they won't stand in the way of him exploring options.

I could be wrong but I think a key part of being an unrestricted free agent is that his current team can't stand in his way of exploring other options.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I could be wrong but I think a key part of being an unrestricted free agent is that his current team can't stand in his way of exploring other options.

I'm saying that if he was definitely coming back, they wouldn't hold off announcing it before other deals are made.

You may have been too eager to post a snarky response and didn't see the post chain I was responding to. It happens.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm saying that if he was definitely coming back, they wouldn't hold off announcing it before other deals are made.

You may have been too eager to post a snarky response and didn't see the post chain I was responding to. It happens.

I followed the path that led to your post. Sorry if it seemed snarky. I was aiming for light-hearted. My sense of humour has been in need of some calibration since the WCF.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad