Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think the Jets can be over the cap all summer if they choose.

They just have to be under the cap when the season begins.

10%. Teams may exceed the cap by 10% from March 30th to day after last day of training camp each year. I believe that this only counts the top 23 earners currently on roster (as once season ends all players in organization are automatically moved back onto main roster). However that last part is my speculation since it doesn't say, but all teams would be far above 10% over when accounting for 20-25 other players at 650-950K.

Reactions: Guardian17

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Glad I started this thread! I wonder if Chevy will move Myers for picks as Poolman is ready and Perreault to help a contender for an NHL ready prospect who could step in on the cheap. Again Petan may also be included if they feel he needs fresh start. I really had a feeling he'd stay, hope I'm right. And if I am then I think Chevy will work some magic.
Mason and Kulikov are other options to move too as has been mentioned.
In no particular order:

Connor Scheif Wheels
Laine Stastny Ehlers
Armia Little Roslo
Copp Lowry Tanev

Jmo Troub
Kuli buff
Morrow Poolman

Lets roll!

We can make it work. Kuli will go next summer. I see 4 year deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Stastny has/had a home in STL when he played there, and he has maintained a residence in Denver in the offseason. I'd be extremely surprised, barring him actually signing a long-term deal in Winnipeg, if he was purchasing/building a home there.

The idea that any athlete, in any sport, who is a pending UFA that is a trade deadline acquisition buying a home without clarification on their situation with that team is just...kind of stupid.

For mere mortals, yes. But if he plans on staying here, considering all the dough he has made in his career, purchasing a home here is chump change. I would be like one of us buying a new set of tires for our vehicle. Plus, real estate is an investment.

We will find out soon... I, for one, hope they find a way to sign him.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
What happened to Stastny's goals? They're a part of that line's performance, are they not?

You are correct. I should have included Stastny's goals. He had 5 goals in 17 playoff games which brings that lines total to 7 even strength playoff goals in 17 games. Do you honestly believe that that line had chemistry in the playoffs? Are you really willing to sign Stastny and possibly risk losing a draft and develop player or Wheeler to sign Stastny who's stats over the last couple of years are very similar to Littles and is 2 years older? If you don't like Littles contract how much do you think you will like Stastny's contract in a year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Every GM has blind spots, and Chevy isn't immune from making less than stellar deals. Giving up a first for Stas adds incentive to make that trade count by extending him. Not predicting this, just articulating a personal reservation.
The trade counted, we had a franchise best playoff run, for the cost of a #29 pick and a prospect. To think Chevy can't separate a rental price, for a UFA must have if the numbers don't work seems like you haven't been paying attention on how the team has been hoarding cap space as needed along the way.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The trade counted, we had a franchise best playoff run, for the cost of a #29 pick and a prospect. To think Chevy can't separate a rental price, for a UFA must have if the numbers don't work seems like you haven't been paying attention on how the team has been hoarding cap space as needed along the way.

It was a #30 pick :naughty:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I’ve been paying attention. We clearly value Stas differently. So goes life on these boards.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve been paying attention. We clearly value Stas differently. So goes life on these boards.
My point is I don't think Chevy confuses the price for a TD rental as a player that needs to be kept at the cost of a team's long term success. The Stastny trade was the going rate for a TD rental. Chevy's Ladd trade was almost identical value coming back to Winnipeg. The price of top TD rentals has been long established. Either a team pays it or not and an argument can be made either way. But after the cup run all GM's treat the player as any other UFA. A few stay, most move on.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Is he sign yet?

1 year 6M should do it ;)

A possible cup win and better point production. Part of arguably the best pp 1st unit in the league.
He can sign longer term next year :)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I very strongly believe the Jets are going to start the season around the 74.5-75 mark. Maybe a wee bit more. They're also going to make as many small "on paper" moves as possible.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
You are correct. I should have included Stastny's goals. He had 5 goals in 17 playoff games which brings that lines total to 7 even strength playoff goals in 17 games. Do you honestly believe that that line had chemistry in the playoffs? Are you really willing to sign Stastny and possibly risk losing a draft and develop player or Wheeler to sign Stastny who's stats over the last couple of years are very similar to Littles and is 2 years older? If you don't like Littles contract how much do you think you will like Stastny's contract in a year.
What are you on about? I never said any of those things. Just no need to lie to make things look worse than they were

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm glad they are working something out. What I could gather from the Stas interview was that money is not his main concern and we need a playmaking 2C desperately. Stas wants to win the cup and I can understand that after a playing for a while already. It would be foolish not to work out some kind of win-win situation here.

And remember, they had no time to build any kind of chemistry so it should be even better next season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I am on the fence, because to start out, it really looked like Stastny was the plug needed to spark that line.

But later, and especially in the PO, that lines chemistry was way way off.

I just really like Stas.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wonder if the jets can sell Stastny on a one year deal. If he plays with Laine all year and on the jets top power play, he could put up 65-70 points with a solid chance to win a cup and then sign a big deal next summer. Although he is the 2nd best center on the market this offseason. Hard to say.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Just a PSA, I may or may not berate the Jets when/if you guys manage to re-sign Pauly, but that's just because all season I've (Avs) been wanting him back and then it sounded like it was a real possibility until that tweet.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Someone just posted a tweet on the main boards that Stastny was going to sign here. Don't know how credible the person tweeting this is though

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Glad I started this thread! I wonder if Chevy will move Myers for picks as Poolman is ready and Perreault to help a contender for an NHL ready prospect who could step in on the cheap. Again Petan may also be included if they feel he needs fresh start. I really had a feeling he'd stay, hope I'm right. And if I am then I think Chevy will work some magic.
Mason and Kulikov are other options to move too as has been mentioned.
In no particular order:

Connor Scheif Wheels
Laine Stastny Ehlers
Armia Little Roslo
Copp Lowry Tanev

Jmo Troub
Kuli buff
Morrow Poolman

Lets roll!

We can make it work. Kuli will go next summer. I see 4 year deal.

I think that is going to be our lineup come autumn.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'll just keep saying it untill I see the contract that the term is key for Jets, it has to be a shortterm contract.

Things could easily get ugly and Jets be in not so fun place. The plans haven't been made with Stastny in mind so things changes things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad