Will Reinhart make the team?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
On the surface, I agree with what you're saying..... but if they aren't better than their competition for top 9 roles, they shouldn't make the team just because they're highly touted prospects.

Who would ever advocate a rookie making the team and being handed a spot if they were not worthy of it? Does this person exist?

Is there a person out there that is pushing for Strome and Lee to make the team and saying they should start the year on the 4th line or in the press box?

That person can not exist. I think anyone who is in the Lee and Strome camps to make the roster feel they are both good enough to play on the top 3 lines AND powerplay.

I COULD be wrong making those assumptions but i sincerely doubt it

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
On the surface, I agree with what you're saying..... but if they aren't better than their competition for top 9 roles, they shouldn't make the team just because they're highly touted prospects.

Unless they botch it completely they will both be better than some of the others is the unwritten message in my statement.

If they are sent down "because they don' t have to clear waivers" then Garth and Cappy need to have their heads examined.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Who would ever advocate a rookie making the team and being handed a spot if they were not worthy of it? Does this person exist?

Is there a person out there that is pushing for Strome and Lee to make the team and saying they should start the year on the 4th line or in the press box?

That person can not exist. I think anyone who is in the Lee and Strome camps to make the roster feel they are both good enough to play on the top 3 lines AND powerplay.

But, I don't think any team would be naive enough to take two players that are both equally sound, but one has many more years of proven success over the other, and keep the rookie over the veteran. Remember, these are still prospects we are talking about and they can and sometimes do regress. Imagine Lee doing well in camp, and the Isles waiving a guy like Martin, or Cmac, or Cizikas, and then Lee regressing. That is a possibility, a strong camp does not ensure success.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Of course you forgot the third possible reason this might happen: the team has a lot of depth.

Don't get me wrong, I think Strome is a lock (even though I think he needs to take a big step forward because I'm still not impressed and he may be destined for third line sheltered minutes). You should be fair though and include all the possible choices for why he could go to BP.

If Strome does not take a big step this year then he will be a huge bust. Dougie Hamilton and Brodin are both guys we could of used but instead we drafted another center.

I dont see any point of us sending him to the AHL anymore unless he completely craps the bed and then the onus is on our horrific GM. His "developing" time is over. It is put up or shut up time!

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
But, I don't think any team would be naive enough to take two players that are both equally sound, but one has many more years of proven success over the other, and keep the rookie over the veteran. Remember, these are still prospects we are talking about and they can and sometimes do regress. Imagine Lee doing well in camp, and the Isles waiving a guy like Martin, or Cmac, or Cizikas, and then Lee regressing. That is a possibility, a strong camp does not ensure success.

I dont care for Matt Martin or CMac to be honest.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Is this sarcasm? lol

There are plenty of people around here that want to rush every prospect.... as there are many that want to keep them in the minors until they're 35.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Strome does not take a big step this year then he will be a huge bust. Dougie Hamilton and Brodin are both guys we could of used but instead we drafted another center.

I dont see any point of us sending him to the AHL anymore unless he completely craps the bed and then the onus is on our horrific GM. His "developing" time is over. It is put up or shut up time!

I can't agree with this. Some guys take longer to develop than others, no two prospects are the same. Strome was very tentative with the puck a lot last year, and with all the additions.... spots are hard to come by. Remember, last season was his first AHL eligible year.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I dont care for Matt Martin or CMac to be honest.

That whole line was a dissapointment last year..... but the year prior, many around here were calling them one of the best 4th lines in the NHL (and they probably were). They're still young, it's way to soon to be giving up on anyone.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
That whole line was a dissapointment last year..... but the year prior, many around here were calling them one of the best 4th lines in the NHL (and they probably were). They're still young, it's way to soon to be giving up on anyone.

I don't see a spot for Mcdonald on this team at this point, to many forwards are better than him. Martin is a guy that needs to improve significantly to stay on this team. He was awful last year, and if he doesn't improve he is going to find himself unemployed.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I don't see a spot for Mcdonald on this team at this point, to many forwards are better than him. Martin is a guy that needs to improve significantly to stay on this team. He was awful last year, and if he doesn't improve he is going to find himself unemployed.

Martin should be traded before he is unemployed. He has value around the league.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Martin should be traded before he is unemployed. He has value around the league.
I agree with this! I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him out of the line up Monday because they had teams looking to acquire him in a trade.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I'd be very surprised if Martin is moved. He's a fan favorite, and one of the "faces" of the franchise who is used in a lot of their advertising campaigns. Not saying that he should or shouldn't be moved, but I think he stays.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I'd be very surprised if Martin is moved. He's a fan favorite, and one of the "faces" of the franchise who is used in a lot of their advertising campaigns. Not saying that he should or shouldn't be moved, but I think he stays.
So wasn't Moulson and he was JT's best friend. I don't think that keeps you off the block.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So wasn't Moulson and he was JT's best friend. I don't think that keeps you off the block.

I think the "best friend" thing is a bit blown out of proportion around here, but yeah, good point.

However, Moulson was an impending UFA and was moved for another impending UFA who the organization considered an upgrade and was hoping on resigning. Martin is under contract for another season and moving him won't fill the team's needs (at least on his own). If it's about clearing roster spots, look for impending UFA Colin McDonald to be shipped out somehow.

Now, NEXT YEAR we could very likely see Martin on the move because of his impending UFA status and the possibility that they fill the role that Martin plays from within.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd keep Martin, just make sure he knows that his job isn't safe. I'd rather see if he can get back to early years Martin, where he was an absolute force. IMO, even the possibility of that happening is worth much more to us than what we'd get for him via trade.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Sure this person exist, don't forget about Cancer Snow.

camper*

I think the "best friend" thing is a bit blown out of proportion around here, but yeah, good point.

However, Moulson was an impending UFA and was moved for another impending UFA who the organization considered an upgrade and was hoping on resigning. Martin is under contract for another season and moving him won't fill the team's needs (at least on his own). If it's about clearing roster spots, look for impending UFA Colin McDonald to be shipped out somehow.

Now, NEXT YEAR we could very likely see Martin on the move because of his impending UFA status and the possibility that they fill the role that Martin plays from within.

The day you see Martin moved…is the day you can start whining….that he is destroying the isles on the ice. I see a better team this yr……but until the top line is relooked..they will scrore 2 and give up 4 a game..as in the past.

Where's the "Old man" on the board?…..who added the pretend lawyer/comedian:laugh:

The big dog cannot be replaced…..half pint hitters are just that..ankle bitters….when the shat hits the fan they are nowhere to be found?

BroadwayJay*

The day you see Martin moved…is the day you can start whining….that he is destroying the isles on the ice. I see a better team this yr……but until the top line is relooked..they will scrore 2 and give up 4 a game..as in the past.

Where's the "Old man" on the board?…..who added the pretend lawyer/comedian:laugh:

The big dog cannot be replaced…..half pint hitters are just that..ankle bitters….when the shat hits the fan they are nowhere to be found?

What does all this mean?

scott99

May 13, 2005
I wasn't impressed with Reinhart last night against Carolina, HOPEFULLY it was just a bad game.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
A rookie defender is going to have his ups and downs, even if he is good enough to be in the show. And, Reinhart may have a lot of experience playing in big games, but you can still expect him to pucker up a bit in the early going.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

I could definitely see him moved in the right deal. They Isles basically have a similar player in Halmo toiling in the AHL. IF they could move Martin for something useful (which I doubt), I'd be totally OK with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad