Will Reinhart make the team?

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A
I think he's one of our six best defenders. But i think he'll start at the Port, mgment want to see what we have before risking any assets. Like others have pointed out, he's never played a single pro game and tons of ice in the AHL might be a good way to start.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
For all of you saying Reinhart makes the team-- are you also thinking Strome will make the team? If so, then you're waiving THREE guys before the season starts. Do you think that is going to happen? If so, who? Honestly asking...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yea, but don't you think there's a difference between Donovan and Reinhart as prospects though? Donovan is like a diamond in the rough. Reinhart is a blue chip.

No, of course they are different. I am more alluding to the mentality of using rookies to fill major holes. I am hard pressed to think that Reinhart should get thrown to the wolves with top 4 minutes as a rookie straight from juniors. I'm also hard pressed to see the value in 5/6 minutes in the nhl as opposed to major minutes in the Bridge.

I can see both sides of the story and trust me, I don't think this is an easy decision. I also don't think this team is 100% playoff bound with or without Reinhart. Why not let the fringe guys stay and give Reinhart a major role in BP. The Isles may still make the playoffs with the Strait/Brennans/Carkners and it will be a little more experience for the core guys. Next season they can start pushing for true success. Just saying...and I'm not pushing this like a car salesman. If Reinhart ends up making the roster I won't be disappointed in the least. He comes from pro stock and I think he can handle it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think he starts the season in BP and I'm fine with that. It won't hurt his development at all and it gives us little more time to look at what we already have signed before we waive someone that could be a good depth player. There is absolutely no need to rush him just because the fans want to see the shinny new toy.

LOL @ Reinhart being a "rush" if he makes the team...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
No, of course they are different. I am more alluding to the mentality of using rookies to fill major holes. I am hard pressed to think that Reinhart should get thrown to the wolves with top 4 minutes as a rookie straight from juniors. I'm also hard pressed to see the value in 5/6 minutes in the nhl as opposed to major minutes in the Bridge.

I can see both sides of the story and trust me, I don't think this is an easy decision. I also don't think this team is 100% playoff bound with or without Reinhart. Why not let the fringe guys stay and give Reinhart a major role in BP. The Isles may still make the playoffs with the Strait/Brennans/Carkners and it will be a little more experience for the core guys. Next season they can start pushing for true success. Just saying...and I'm not pushing this like a car salesman. If Reinhart ends up making the roster I won't be disappointed in the least. He comes from pro stock and I think he can handle it.

2nd pairing won't be throwing him to the wolves, especially if you evenly distribute the minutes between the 2nd and 3rd pairings to start the season. Once Reinhart gets his feet wet, you can start increasing that pairing's minutes.

If you pair him with Visnovsky, that means Hickey is anchoring the other pairing. Hickey has proven capable of playing in that 18-20 minute range if need be. You can start him off playing those minutes until the Reinhart-Vis pairing takes off. The way I see it, we're going to need Reinhart playing at a top-4 level at some point next season if we are going to want to make any noise. Give him his spot(that he will surely earn... no idea why other people even mention the word "rushing" when it comes to him), let him gain experience, and by the half-way mark(probably sooner) we should have one more top-4 caliber guy to rely on.

Considering what is on the line next offseason(no top draft pick in an A-grade draft; moving into a new building - trying to go in with some kind of buzz), can the Islanders really afford to be turning away guys who earn spots? All because what...we feel guys like Carkner/Strait are too important to lose(even though chances are they won't be claimed anyway)?

Griff will be here.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
For all of you saying Reinhart makes the team-- are you also thinking Strome will make the team? If so, then you're waiving THREE guys before the season starts. Do you think that is going to happen? If so, who? Honestly asking...

Yes. CMac, Boulton, Conacher/Skille? Not really concerned about it. If Strome and Reinhart outplay others and make the team, then it's a nice problem to have. The whole point of signing Conacher and Skille was to press the fourth liners.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
It's his spot to lose. Give him some time and if he struggles, THEN send him to Bridgeport.

This is what I would do.

However, I voted no because I think this will be the thinking:

I think he starts the season in BP and I'm fine with that. It won't hurt his development at all and it gives us little more time to look at what we already have signed before we waive someone that could be a good depth player. There is absolutely no need to rush him just because the fans want to see the shinny new toy.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The biggest thing with bringing along a young player is building his confidence. If he starts out with the big club and then gets sent down because of poor play that would be much worse than starting him in BP and then bringing him up because he's playing well.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The biggest thing with bringing along a young player is building his confidence. If he starts out with the big club and then gets sent down because of poor play that would be much worse than starting him in BP and then bringing him up because he's playing well.

I don't see that being the case. Strome was called up last year, then sent down, then called back up and looked much better. Donovan started with the Isles, was sent down, then came up and looked better.

Players that are fragile enough to be ruined by being sent to the minors are generally not going to make it no matter what.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

How can you possibly leave Strome off the team? I think both should and will make the team. Waive Mcdonald, Boulton, and Strait/Brennan.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I don't see that being the case. Strome was called up last year, then sent down, then called back up and looked much better. Donovan started with the Isles, was sent down, then came up and looked better.

Players that are fragile enough to be ruined by being sent to the minors are generally not going to make it no matter what.
Personally I didn't think Strome or Donovan looked that great all season. I really don't even count the last 20 games because we were out of the playoffs playing for nothing. But I'm sure everyone was looking for that ray of light at the end of a dark tunnel that was last season. The big difference with Strome and Donovan is that they already got their feet wet in the AHL.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
BTW, if the team is worried about losing a player, it could send down Carkner. No way he gets claimed with 2 years @ $1.5M remaining.

Thankfully this is the last year of Carkners contract. So it's only 1 year left :handclap:

Secondly I think the team is more concerned with players making over a half million dollars a year (one way contracts) to play in Bridgeport. If you've watched closely they have had a pretty strict cap of what they will pay players to play in Bridgeport. It has cost them dearly in terms of success and adding solid players (or keeping productive players like Ullstrom, Rhett R, Dibo, katic, Nilsson by not giving them one way contracts and letting them go overseas) to help the youngsters develop better in a winning atmosphere in playoff type conditions. The one exception they made was Dipietro and they really had no choice there, he had to go and Bridgeport was the only place they could send him.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010

I think they SHOULD, but considering the whole waiving thing, they probably won't.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007

I think Reinhart should make the team and play bottom pairing minutes to start the season and by midseason (as long as he plays well) should ease him into a top-4 minutes role. I believe that if he doesn't its simply because they don't have room and don't want to waive anyone which is the wrong way to think IMO, he will be one of the top 6 defenders on the team this pre-season. I don't think Strome will make it just because of the depth of forwards at the moment but IMO Strome can still use a little polish while Reinhart is ready.

If I had to waive 2 players its probably Carkner and Cmac.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
BTW, if the team is worried about losing a player, it could send down Carkner. No way he gets claimed with 2 years @ $1.5M remaining.
He only has one year left but it wouldn't be such a bad thing if someone claimed him.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if its a choice between limited minutes in nhl with the odd scratch I'd rather him be in b'port playing with pulock

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

If Ryan Strome does not make the team then something is seriously wrong with his development or this team is being so cheap that its downright criminal

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

If Ryan Strome does not make the team then something is seriously wrong with his development or this team is being so cheap that its downright criminal

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
I voted yes he makes it, but I'm rethinking it. He may start in Bridgeport, get some time with Pulock, give the Isles some time to make a trade or see who gets injured. But wherever he starts the year, he gets at least 60-70 games in the NHL this season.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Personally I didn't think Strome or Donovan looked that great all season. I really don't even count the last 20 games because we were out of the playoffs playing for nothing. But I'm sure everyone was looking for that ray of light at the end of a dark tunnel that was last season. The big difference with Strome and Donovan is that they already got their feet wet in the AHL.

I really don't get this mentality of fans choosing which games matter and 'ignoring' those that they deem don't matter. It's the same rhetoric with Bailey. They are playing well in the spring of the best league in the world against teams fighting tooth and nail for playoff spots and positioning. They count.

If you really believed this BS, then you should go through all the game logs and scratch out any goals that were in game situations that 'meant nothing'. Personally, I don't count any goals that happen in the last minute if the lead is at least 2 goals, any goal in any part of the game where the lead is at least 3 goals, any 5 on 3 goals, any goals against back up goalies, and goals against any team that had their best defender hurt. Those don't really count to me, and in fact, with that analysis, Blake Comeau led the league in scoring last year and is the best player in the league. :shakehead

They all count. He played well. Take whatever arbitrary and personal algorithm you are applying to 'what counts' and throw it in the trash because it nonsense.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
2nd pairing won't be throwing him to the wolves, especially if you evenly distribute the minutes between the 2nd and 3rd pairings to start the season. Once Reinhart gets his feet wet, you can start increasing that pairing's minutes.

If you pair him with Visnovsky, that means Hickey is anchoring the other pairing. Hickey has proven capable of playing in that 18-20 minute range if need be. You can start him off playing those minutes until the Reinhart-Vis pairing takes off. The way I see it, we're going to need Reinhart playing at a top-4 level at some point next season if we are going to want to make any noise. Give him his spot(that he will surely earn... no idea why other people even mention the word "rushing" when it comes to him), let him gain experience, and by the half-way mark(probably sooner) we should have one more top-4 caliber guy to rely on.

Considering what is on the line next offseason(no top draft pick in an A-grade draft; moving into a new building - trying to go in with some kind of buzz), can the Islanders really afford to be turning away guys who earn spots? All because what...we feel guys like Carkner/Strait are too important to lose(even though chances are they won't be claimed anyway)?

Griff will be here.

Of course everyone is worried about rushing. You see many, many cases of it throughout the NHL. I'm not even talking about rushing though and frankly the thought of a millionaire being handled like a ten year old is silly. I don't care about rushing. I do however care about development. I see your point and sure, if management handles him that way fine. I'm just not sure development wise if his time might be spent better dominating BP, even if it is for a half a season.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Of course you forgot the third possible reason this might happen: the team has a lot of depth.

Don't get me wrong, I think Strome is a lock (even though I think he needs to take a big step forward because I'm still not impressed and he may be destined for third line sheltered minutes). You should be fair though and include all the possible choices for why he could go to BP.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I think Strome and Lee get sent down. Nelson and Griff stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad