Will Reinhart make the team?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
My opinion he will be sent to Bridgeport. Snow said something about having the luxury of not rushing our top prospects and we have an NHL logjam which could mean Reinhart sits in the press box. Rather have him playing 25 minutes a night at the Port.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think he starts the season in BP and I'm fine with that. It won't hurt his development at all and it gives us little more time to look at what we already have signed before we waive someone that could be a good depth player. There is absolutely no need to rush him just because the fans want to see the shinny new toy.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He absolutely needs to make this team. Sadly the defense will be much worse without him(He'll be a in a #4/5 role IMO).

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
My opinion he will be sent to Bridgeport. Snow said something about having the luxury of not rushing our top prospects and we have an NHL logjam which could mean Reinhart sits in the press box. Rather have him playing 25 minutes a night at the Port.

They have a logjam of **** on the backend.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Considering he is undoubtedly better than some of our "NHL" D-men, yes, yes he should make the team. He practically made the team out of camp last season, but they decided against it. This is his time, I have a lot of confidence he can handle it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Considering he is undoubtedly better than some of our "NHL" D-men, yes, yes he should make the team. He practically made the team out of camp last season, but they decided against it. This is his time, I have a lot of confidence he can handle it.

Glad they did, guy gained excellent junior experience and dominated.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

I somewhat agree with you, but what I'm interested in here is if he WILL make the team, not if he SHOULD make the team.

He hasn't played a single AHL game, let alone an NHL game, so I'm not totally sold on his abilities at the NHL level. Also, if he makes the team we will have to waive another player, which I think would be unwise given our injury history.

So why not let him get some experience in the AHL and wait for the injury bug to bite and bring him up without risking any assets?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I somewhat agree with you, but what I'm interested in here is if he WILL make the team, not if he SHOULD make the team.

He hasn't played a single AHL game, let alone an NHL game, so I'm not totally sold on his abilities at the NHL level. Also, if he makes the team we will have to waive another player, which I think would be unwise given our injury history.

So why not let him get some experience in the AHL and wait for the injury bug to bite and bring him up without risking any assets?
I agree! It surely won't hurt his development to spend some time in the AHL just like that extra year in Juniors didn't hurt.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I always thought he would make it opening night but I'm starting to feel like they will start him in BPORT.

Ultimately his play will dictate where he ends up.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It's his spot to lose. Give him some time and if he struggles, THEN send him to Bridgeport.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
If he does not make camp then something is clearly wrong. I dont know what Log Jam we have in the backend? Our Defense is putrid and made up of AHL rejects and NHL Scrubs. Lets stop pretending we have lindstrom,weber and Phenuef cause we dont.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
If he does not make camp then something is clearly wrong. I dont know what Log Jam we have in the backend? Our Defense is putrid and made up of AHL rejects and NHL Scrubs. Lets stop pretending we have lindstrom,weber and Phenuef cause we dont.
But we also have to stop pretending that Reinhart, right from juniors, is going to come in and be a Lindstrom, Weber, or Phenuef right off the bat.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
But we also have to stop pretending that Reinhart, right from juniors, is going to come in and be a Lindstrom, Weber, or Phenuef right off the bat.

Not one person has said that. I think the overal opinion is that he's going to play the minutes of a 4/5.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Not one person has said that. I think the overal opinion is that he's going to play the minutes of a 4/5.
But he's projected to be a top pairing D man so why not let him be that at the next level, AHL, instead of a 4/5 guy maybe getting press box time every time he has a bad game? I just don' understand why everyone wants t rush this kid.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
But he's projected to be a top pairing D man so why not let him be that at the next level, AHL, instead of a 4/5 guy maybe getting press box time every time he has a bad game?

because he's not going to go playing top pairing minutes in the AHL and then come right in to the NHL and play top minutes immediately. He has to get used to the speed of the game.

Like another poster said he pretty much made the team last year also. I think he'd benefit from being a 4/5 to start the season and as he gets acclimated he'll play better and could move up the depth chart from there instead of wasting time in the AHL. He's got the head for the game already and all of the tools.

Reinhart doesn't seem like a guy that needs the development time of the AHL like others. If it was a guy like Pulock I'd be concerned.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

I am not expecting him to be Potvin 2.0 but from what he has proven thus far I feel he is definitely ready to bring his game and talent to the NHL. The AHL is moot at this point, he has nothing else to prove other then delivering in the pros for which he was drafted to do and trained his whole life for.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
because he's not going to go playing top pairing minutes in the AHL and then come right in to the NHL and play top minutes immediately. He has to get used to the speed of the game.

Like another poster said he pretty much made the team last year also. I think he'd benefit from being a 4/5 to start the season and as he gets acclimated he'll play better and could move up the depth chart from there instead of wasting time in the AHL. He's got the head for the game already and all of the tools.

Reinhart doesn't seem like a guy that needs the development time of the AHL like others. If it was a guy like Pulock I'd be concerned.
Unlike most here I think he has a lot to prove yet and I don't think he made the team last year. He was just kept up because it was better for him to be here until his junior season started. I personally think it was all preplanned and they never had any intentions of keeping him up. They just get the fans worked up over nothing. It's just a publicity game they play to keep the fans excited and buying tickets. I've seen it many of times. JMO

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

I'd expect him to play sheltered, bottom pair minutes at the start. Lots of o-zone starts.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
At this point quite a few of his fellow draftees have gotten in significant NHL time: Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba, Maatta, Ceci. All d-men. Even Dumba got a test. I know we've been leaning very conservative about prepping our prospects since the Bailey and Nino experiments went poorly, but at some point you have them a shot.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
At this point quite a few of his fellow draftees have gotten in significant NHL time: Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba, Maatta, Ceci. All d-men. Even Dumba got a test. I know we've been leaning very conservative about prepping our prospects since the Bailey and Nino experiments went poorly, but at some point you have them a shot.

Agreed and that is the decision that needs to be made, but there are too many people on these boards whose judgement gets overwhelmed with "Shiny new toy syndrome" and can't what to see it perform. Patience. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad