Will Ovechkin beat Gretzky in all-time goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Why not? The more time that goes on, the more I see people try to invalidate all of Gretzky’s accomplishments. His numbers are so unfathomable, so video game like, and no one today can dream of a player blowing his competition away so convincingly that all people do now is make up new stats, new reasons, adjust this adjust that, etc.

Guess what? If you have to come up with so many different variables for why so and so player is not the best, they are actually usually the best.

It is concrete fact that Gretzky was a pass first player (being a center duh). Change his position, give him the green light to put up the volume of shots Ovechkin has, and you’re looking at hundreds more in goal totals.

Except in Gretzky’s case, he already is actually the holder of basically all the records. He is speculation proof because he actually did it. What if Lemieux, what if Crosby, what if Ovechkin what if etc. Gretzky is prime proof that you can play a full career with unrivaled dominance and you’ll still have people trying to tear you down no matter what.

Gretzky was just the perfect storm of a player, he wasn't all that different than Lemieux apart from starting earlier and being able to stay healthier, he was certainly no "God in a league of his own like a video game."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Gretzky was just the perfect storm of a player, he wasn't all that different than Lemieux apart from starting earlier and being able to stay healthier, he was certainly no "God in a league of his own like a video game."

just because one of the very few other players with a peak that is even in the same universe happened to play around the same time Gretzky did doesn't make it any less true

Gretzky at his peak had a period of 6 consecutive seasons where he lead the entire NHL in scoring by an AVERAGE of 72 points a year

if that's not "god in a league of his own like a video game" I don't know what is

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
just because one of the very few other players with a peak that is even in the same universe happened to play around the same time Gretzky did doesn't make it any less true

Gretzky at his peak had a period of 6 consecutive seasons where he lead the entire NHL in scoring by an AVERAGE of 72 points a year

if that's not "god in a league of his own like a video game" I don't know what is

Except Lemieux is pretty much right there with him, Gretzky just played in the perfect era to rack up points, he didn't play in the most skilled era with most worldwide competition and player pool.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

For reference:

During Dionne's career there were 40 or more goal seasons combined 305 times. His 10 seasons account for 3.28% of all these seasons.

During Gretzky's career there were 40 or more goal seasons combined 377 times. His 12 seasons account for 3.18% of all these seasons.

So far, during OV's career there has been 40 or more goal seasons combined 36 times. Currently Ovechkin has 9, which accounts for 25% of all these seasons.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Oveskin couldn't sniff Greksky let's stop playing here
Agree. I said up thread he has no chance to break the all time goals record. I stand by that. Would be my house on it.

But he is, without question, the greatest goal scorer that ever lived. If he retires tomorrow.

Go take a look at the all star game where Gretz scores 4 goals in one period. Watch the goaltending. Try not to laugh your ass off.

I **** you not, I watched better goaltending ina B.C. Junior B game last weekend than what I saw in that “all star” game. Infinitely better.

Ovechkin is the GOAT. And he was last year, and maybe the year before that.

But he won’t sniff 900 goals. Let’s get real here.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how breakable the record really is, especially if he hits 50 goals one more time.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
It's really going to depend on how he ages. Some guys just fall off completely. Christ look at Brett Hull.

What killed Hull the most was missing a whole season to the lockout. Makes you wonder how hard he trained during that time when he came back.

Before that he scored 37 goals at 38 years of age and 25 goals at 39 years old.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
It's really going to depend on how he ages. Some guys just fall off completely. Christ look at Brett Hull.

I wouldnt say so. Hull scored a lot after 35. You have to keep in mind that it was a low scoring era. He simply lost it due to the lockout.

Age 36: 43 adjusted goals
Age 37: 37 adjusted goals
Age 38: 42 adjusted goals
Age 39: 29 adjusted goals
Age 40: 25 adjusted goals predicted

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

For reference:

During Dionne's career there were 40 or more goal seasons combined 305 times. His 10 seasons account for 3.28% of all these seasons.

During Gretzky's career there were 40 or more goal seasons combined 377 times. His 12 seasons account for 3.18% of all these seasons.

So far, during OV's career there has been 40 or more goal seasons combined 36 times. Currently Ovechkin has 9, which accounts for 25% of all these seasons.

This is actually a mind blowing stat. Shows how much harder it is to score a goal in todays nhl. I honestly dont know how anyone on this planet can argue that he is no t the greatest goal scoarer in the history of the game. Doesent even matter how close he gets to 894.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I think he can do it considering the what the league has turned into without any checking and increased scoring.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
OV got asked the question the OP is asking during his reddit interview a few hours ago:

- Alex do you think you'll break Gretzky's goal record?
- You never know man, you never know. It's hard.

I like that "you never know", idk why ;)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

To expand on this, one of the meters to get into the HOF is 1000 points. Gretzky got 1000 points over a span of 5 seasons at one point.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
To expand on this, one of the meters to get into the HOF is 1000 points. Gretzky got 1000 points over a span of 5 seasons at one point.
Gretzky also had the fastest 1000 points ever, and then he had the second fastest 1000 points ever.

Which makes me think of this: Since Gretzky (twice), Brett Hull (once), and Mario (once) had 80+ goals in a single season, shouldn't that count as two 40-goal seasons?

Reactions: Sam Spade

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Gretzky also had the fastest 1000 points ever, and then he had the second fastest 1000 points ever.

Which makes me think of this: Since Gretzky (twice), Brett Hull (once), and Mario (once) had 80+ goals in a single season, shouldn't that count as two 40-goal seasons?
It’s 1 season that a player scored 40 or more goals... you can’t just borrow goals from one season and add them to a made up one LOL

Reactions: saffronleaf

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017

For reference:

Now there's a list one can be proud to be on.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I mean I personally think it’s really awesome that we get to watch the greatest goal scorer of all time play out his whole career.

Especially for people who didn’t get to watch prime Gretzky, and the fact that he basically owns every record, this might be the most impressive NHL feat we see in our lifetime, since it’s unlikely that a record bigger than this gets broken.

Reactions: Aliceanna

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Gretzky holds his goal-record as the "most important" one of his personal accolades. Will be cool to see Ovie challenge him for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad