Speculation: Will Ottawa give the Avs the #4 overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As a Sens fan, I'd keep the pick if Zadina is available, but give it to Colorado if he's not.

That said, my gut tells me they are taking Tkachuk even if Zadina is still on the board.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
#16 + 1st OTT '19 (probably top 10 with a chance of being Top 3) is better than just #4.

Ottawa traded Hoffman, there's a lot of rumor about Karlsson and is future in Ottawa.. I think it's fair to consider the potential of OTT 1st in 2019 being equal to their 2018 1st. Sakic will gladly take the one Dorion give him and be happy. He (Sakic) have no reason to offer anything.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
heres to hoping they keep it, and end up giving the avs the #1 pick next year. Add hughes to that stable of talent up front...scary

Reactions: Meeqs

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For the most part I agree with you. If they trade EK for futures, woof... That team will not be pretty. But who knows. The main reason I think they'll be bad next year is that they won't have any player capable of doing what Mackinnon did this year and just take the team on his back; assuming they trade EK.

Ottawa has Duchene+ Stone at F, followed by guys pas their prime, so nothing.

That F group is getting killed in the Atlantic. Colorado must be having fun right now.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Ive changed my position lol kinda sorta. Im really torn with this. Hate to be in their position right now.

Ottawa could definitely give up the 4th this year and keep their pick next year.

I think this will all depend on what Karlsson will do and who is left at 4. If Karlsson says prove to me your team wants to win and is willing to what it takes, well then you have to do exactly that.

If Montreal passes on Zadina then I think you have to take Zadina as a way to prove to Karlsson you are committed. Then work on flipping Duchene (for ROR maybe) and some other assets like Stone to try and ice a competitive team. They have to avoid being a cellar dweller at all costs even if its simply to avoid COL getting a top 5 pick.

It sucks what happened with Hoffman but cant dwell on what happened. Move forward and make the right moves.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Even if Ottawa is last next year, odds are far more likely they won't pick first.

Really comes down to how you see this draft vs next. And also how confident you are in the group doing better next year.

Should be a simple call.

Reactions: Sensung

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Even if Ottawa is last next year, odds are far more likely they won't pick first.

Really comes down to how you see this draft vs next. And also how confident you are in the group doing better next year.

Should be a simple call.

If Ott finishes bottom 5, the odds are greater the pick is better this year than it is worse.

Also next years draft is considered to be stronger from early reports, at least in the top end.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Pretty much my thought is if Ott gives up 4OA this year it will be pretty fun for a week or 2. However if they give the Avs the 2019, then it will be fun for the next year + to watch their suffering knowing there is no reward for it.

I think they give it up this year.

Reactions: KingsCourt

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
In the event that Ottawa has talked to Karlsson and he has made it clear he won't sign, then the right move would try to trade him for a package that include a top 10 pick in this years draft, and then forfit this years 4th overall to Colorado. However, if Karlsson has made it clear that he wants to stay in Ottawa, then keep this years pick and try to retool the bottom 6 and bottom 4.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That could work out badly for the Sens too though. They could finish 20th overall and have their pick in the Avs' hand win a top 3 spot.

If Boucher takes that dumpster fire of a team and finishes outside of the top 5, especially if EK is traded which is looking likely, he should win coach of the year. They have like 2 good players up front, and EK.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
In the event that Ottawa has talked to Karlsson and he has made it clear he won't sign, then the right move would try to trade him for a package that include a top 10 pick in this years draft, and then forfit this years 4th overall to Colorado. However, if Karlsson has made it clear that he wants to stay in Ottawa, then keep this years pick and try to retool the bottom 6 and bottom 4.

Basically this, all depends on what Ottawa's plan is. The only caveat being recent history has shown that Ottawa doesn't have a plan. Should be fun to watch this one unfold.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If Boucher takes that dumpster fire of a team and finishes outside of the top 5, especially if EK is traded which is looking likely, he should win coach of the year. They have like 2 good players up front, and EK.
You sir, are clueless.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Ott finishes bottom 5, the odds are greater the pick is better this year than it is worse.

Also next years draft is considered to be stronger from early reports, at least in the top end.
More about whether you believe zadina, tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson are better than what would be had at the 4-6 spots next season.

Is there a chance the sens pick ends up in the lottery? Sure, but if we use math and the bottom 3 teams have a combined odds of 43% or so for the 1st pick them it goes up for #2 and #3 if none of them win it. So, if the sens are bottom 3 next year then most likely the sens are around where they are this year at the draft if they don’t win the lottery in the 4-5 spot.

Early glance for 2019, who else is on the radar besides Hughes? I heard on SN650 in Vancouver that 2019 has more centres in the top 10.

But the sens need to know within 48 hours if karlsson and duchene are going to sign extensions with them. If no, then trade them and move the pick to Colorado unless you believe one of the D can be a franchise guy. Don’t think zadina or tkachuk is a franchise changing winger.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
More about whether you believe zadina, tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson are better than what would be had at the 4-6 spots next season.

Is there a chance the sens pick ends up in the lottery? Sure, but if we use math and the bottom 3 teams have a combined odds of 43% or so for the 1st pick them it goes up for #2 and #3 if none of them win it. So, if the sens are bottom 3 next year then most likely the sens are around where they are this year at the draft if they don’t win the lottery in the 4-5 spot.

Early glance for 2019, who else is on the radar besides Hughes? I heard on SN650 in Vancouver that 2019 has more centres in the top 10.

But the sens need to know within 48 hours if karlsson and duchene are going to sign extensions with them. If no, then trade them and move the pick to Colorado unless you believe one of the D can be a franchise guy. Don’t think zadina or tkachuk is a franchise changing winger.

This is a good take

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think it's confirmed how the draft lottery odds will work next year. Everyone saying the Senators would be more likely to pick 4th than 1st are basing that solely on the system of the last two years. That could change.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Dorion is clueless so he'll think he ices a competitive team. Probably actually thinks EK is resigning and will sign Tavares.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Doesn't matter what we think, it's how Ottawa views the draft. If they really like a player that will be available this year you keep the pick and deal with the consequences next year.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Doesn't matter what we think, it's how Ottawa views the draft. If they really like a player that will be available this year you keep the pick and deal with the consequences next year.

You also have to weigh that vs how much they want this story to linger on for another year or if they just want it behind them

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You also have to weigh that vs how much they want this story to linger on for another year or if they just want it behind them
Yes, I'm sure the Sens are quaking in their skates worried about the next article mentioning the pick.

Probably won't be able to sleep a wink the entire season!

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Even if the sens finish dead last, the odds are higher that it’s 4th overall. So if Ottawa finishes better than last(anywhere in the bottom 5) how are the odds greater that the pick is better than this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad