Will MLS eventually surpass the NHL in revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billycanuck

Add to that the inability for MLS clubs to participate in the Champions League where so much money is to be made and where all the best players want to play, it really isn't looking like the MLS is going to be threatening the English, Spanish, Italian and German leagues anytime soon.

MLS clubs cannot compete in the UEFA Champions League because they are not part of UEFA (United EUROPE Football Association). MLS teams do compete in the CONCACAF Champions League because that is the association these teams belong too. It is a similar idea, but it doesn't have the marketability that UEFA does with clubs like Barcelona, Chelsea, Man U, Bayern, Milan's, etc etc etc.

But hopefully with the growth of MLS and the popularity rising for clubs, the CONCACAF can get some $$ to the clubs.

But I agree it would take far more money than any of the MLS teams could dream of getting to compete with the likes of Barcelona, Man U, and Real Madrid. However, with the new UEFA Financial Fair Play rules coming into play, we could start to see some of the bigger clubs with debt, start to release some players with big contracts.

In essence, UEFA's new financial rules mean that from 2013-14 clubs must break even -- only spending the money they generate -- or risk the ultimate sanction of facing exclusion from the Champions and Europa Leagues.
But UEFA's tighter controls start to take effect from June 1 this year and the first sanctions against clubs not fulfilling the break-even requirement can be taken during the 2013-14 season based on financial information submitted by clubs from next season.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, that really hurts those South American clubs popularity. And the J-League and K-League are just failing apart because they aren't in UEFA.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
We can NEVER play in UEFA so why is this an issue? Let's just grow the Concacaf CL !

probably the worst point you could try to argue and you obviously aren't aware of the purpose of the different champions leagues around the world

I have no idea why you guys are getting all upset about what I wrote.

The point I was making is that without being able to play in the UEFA Champions League (which I'm well aware you aren't due to not being situated on the European continent), the MLS will have a VERY hard time competing with the European giants.

The UEFA Champions League is the most prestigious tournament in club football. Participating and more so going far guarantees clubs an insane amount of money. It has a long tradition, fans love it, all players want to play in it and clubs get filthy rich from the prize and TV money.

I have absolutely nothing against the idea of a CONCACAF CL or the MLS for that matter. I just don't see a tournament consisting of North and Central American teams ever threatening the UEFA Champions League. Not trying to offend anyone, but honestly it's a bit like comparing a the Swedish football league to the Premier League.

Something that would be interesting is if there was a Champions League consisting of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL teams, basically having MLS teams participate in the Copa Libertadores like the Mexican teams are allowed to do.

Yeah, that really hurts those South American clubs popularity. And the J-League and K-League are just failing apart because they aren't in UEFA.

I'm sure they are doing fine. But look at the number of Brazilians playing in Europe, it's a ridiculous amount of players.

The MLS will probably get stronger, but I just don't see them becoming a major player on the world scene. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I'm sure they are doing fine. But look at the number of Brazilians playing in Europe, it's a ridiculous amount of players.

The MLS will probably get stronger, but I just don't see them becoming a major player on the world scene. That's all I'm saying.

Because the European clubs have money. When American and Brazilian clubs start making more (and they will, this is inevitable), you will see these trends reverse.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Because the European clubs have money. When American and Brazilian clubs start making more (and they will, this is inevitable), you will see these trends reverse.

The Brazilian teams have been around for 70-80 years some of them and haven't gotten close to what European clubs do. They know their roles as basically a minor league to Europe, will the best players will be bought and those who don't because they aren't good enough staying in the league.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close

Inevitable eh? I believe it when I see it.

Which I won't.

And it's not just about money. It's about tradition and having the club equivalent of the World Cup around. And it's a members only club.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
Inevitable eh? I believe it when I see it.

Which I won't.

And it's not just about money. It's about tradition and having the club equivalent of the World Cup around. And it's a members only club.

the club equivalent of the world cup is the club world cup, not the uefa champions league.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
the club equivalent of the world cup is the club world cup, not the uefa champions league.

Prestige wise it isn't even close to the CL or WC. Which was obviously my point.

Are you actually going to contribute to the discussion or just go out of your way to to try and score easy points?

Last edited:

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
All we can do is give the Concacaf CL time to grow. It's new. People don't even know we have it. It will take time.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
If you believe Luis Fabiano would rather play for Sevilla than Sao Paulo if the money was equal, you're simply wrong.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
Prestige wise it isn't even close to the CL or WC. Which was obviously my point.

Are you actually going to contribute to the discussion or just go out of your way to to try and score easy points?

i'm just making sure people know the statements you're making are incorrect

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Soccer will never surpass hockey in terms of popularity in the USA. Americans just don't care about the sport. They never have. The big chance to make soccer something other than a novelty sport came in 1994 during the World Cup. It came and went, with no noticeable difference in the popularity of the sport in the US.

I recall soccer fans saying the same thing when Pele and the NY Cosmos were playing in front of record crowds in the late 70's. We all know how that turned out.

so the Italian national team, who everyone hates for exactly that reason, is the proof that EVERY player on EVERY team dives EVERY 15 minutes in EVERY match.

No offense, but you are being slightly delusional. Everyone knows soccer players dive. Maybe not every country does it as much (England, Ireland, Germany, and many Northern European nations). However, you cannot argue that it is common in Southern Europe.

However, they have nothing on the South Americans. Every time an opposing player makes contact with them, they go down like they have been shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Soccer will never surpass hockey in terms of popularity in the USA. Americans just don't care about the sport. They never have. The big chance to make soccer something other than a novelty sport came in 1994 during the World Cup. It came and went, with no noticeable difference in the popularity of the sport in the US.

Yep, we hate it. Pay no attention to the ever increasing ratings, attendance, number of high school players or anything. We hate soccer.

I recall soccer fans saying the same thing when Pele and the NY Cosmos were playing in front of record crowds in the late 70's. We all know how that turned out.

People tend to forget that the rest of the NASL was a shambles... the Cosmos had money and occasionally played to big crowds at Giants Stadium, but when one looks at the rest of the league where teams typically only lasted 2 years in one market and only averaged about 10,000 people per game they see just how different that league was to MLS.

No offense, but you are being slightly delusional. Everyone knows soccer players dive. Maybe not every country does it as much (England, Ireland, Germany, and many Northern European nations). However, you cannot argue that it is common in Southern Europe.

However, they have nothing on the South Americans. Every time an opposing player makes contact with them, they go down like they have been shot.

Sure it's fairly common, but the way most soccer haters portray it you'd think it happens constantly... the entire match consists of men faking injuries for 90 minutes.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Why the hell would anyone follow the MLS if he can watch CL, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga? Heck even the French, Portuguese and Dutch league deliver a higher quality of Soccer than the MLS.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yep, we hate it. Pay no attention to the ever increasing ratings, attendance, number of high school players or anything. We hate soccer.

The "increasing" ratings are nothing to gloat about. They fall far short of the NHL. Additionally, the argument is not about how many soccer players there are in the USA. People play soccer in record amounts. It's just that those who play the game, like the majority of Americans, can't be bothered to watch it.

People tend to forget that the rest of the NASL was a shambles... the Cosmos had money and occasionally played to big crowds at Giants Stadium, but when one looks at the rest of the league where teams typically only lasted 2 years in one market and only averaged about 10,000 people per game they see just how different that league was to MLS.

excuses....excuses...

Sure it's fairly common, but the way most soccer haters portray it you'd think it happens constantly... the entire match consists of men faking injuries for 90 minutes.

Who said anything about hating soccer? I LIVE for the World Cup. I just cannot be bothered watching a minor pro league like the MLS. Face it, Brodie. Soccer will never even come close to hockey in popularity in the USA.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Why the hell would anyone follow the MLS if he can watch CL, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga? Heck even the French, Portuguese and Dutch league deliver a higher quality of Soccer than the MLS.

Exactly.

The MLS is a glorified minor league. All the talented players from North America pack up, and leave to Europe.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Why do people follow the SM-liga? Elitserien? Because those are far behind the NHL in talent level. Heck, why do people in Winnipeg cheer for their AHL team?

A lot of people would prefer to see live action and cheer for a team in their hometown, then cheer for one across the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad