Will MLS eventually surpass the NHL in revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Why the hell would anyone follow the MLS if he can watch CL, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga? Heck even the French, Portuguese and Dutch league deliver a higher quality of Soccer than the MLS.

Because, for most people, quality is not a be-all end-all issue. MLS, for all its flaws, is convenient, affordable, and entertaining soccer. You're just as likely to see something special in MLS as you are in the European elite leagues. Plus, people can form an attachment to a local club. Unless you're a first or second generation immigrant from Europe to the US, odds are you don't really have much of a connection to an overseas club, and it's easier to bond with a team you can see live than one you only see on TV.

MLS has grown exponentially in just the last six years. There are still a few red-headed stepchildren (Chivas and New England, in particular), but otherwise, the clubs are in club-owned stadiums and attendance is trending upward after a real dark spot for the league in the early naughts. They might have to get away from ESPN, though, because they aren't getting a lot of exposure there, and I really doubt they're making a ton of money from the deal.

Ultimately, the sport's future is extremely bright. The continued rise of the national team (as much in exposure as in talent) should be a huge boost for the domestic league. The tricky part is what comes next: finding a way to keep those players here. Donovan is a great place to start, but as we saw with the Buddle situation, the league has a long way to go before it can safely, responsibly match the money that European clubs put up on their players.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
plus, since the seasons don't overlap very much MLS provides a summer soccer fix. It's kind of like the NFL Network's reasoning for showing CFL games in the summer.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
i'm just making sure people know the statements you're making are incorrect

No, you're trying to look smart on the internet when really you contribute nothing and haven't managed to refute anything I've written.

I've been a football fan ever since I was a kid in the eighties. Do you really think you're showing me up with your oh so challenging remarks about what the Champions League is?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Because, for most people, quality is not a be-all end-all issue. MLS, for all its flaws, is convenient, affordable, and entertaining soccer. You're just as likely to see something special in MLS as you are in the European elite leagues. Plus, people can form an attachment to a local club. Unless you're a first or second generation immigrant from Europe to the US, odds are you don't really have much of a connection to an overseas club, and it's easier to bond with a team you can see live than one you only see on TV.

I agree with this. A Stockholm derby for instance between two of the three STHLM teams (Djurgården, AIK, Hammarby) regularly draws 30 000+ fans, and the football in the Swedish league is quite honestly appalling compared to the big European leagues. It's all about following your local team and the fan experience. You can never get that by watching a game on tv.

Local.gif

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There is nothing wrong with soccer.

But, its a sport thats hard to sell in for several reasons:
1. Its a game that becomes better in -- basically -- absolute relation to how good the playeres are. At least in Sweden, if you go and watch a 4th tier hockey game you'll see players score great goals. Stickhandle through the entire opposing team et c. You'll see hits and fights and what not. Sure, the pace is the big difference, but its still entertaining. Go and see a 4th tier soccer game in Sweden and you will be glad if anything exciting happeneds for 90 mintutes.

When I watch swedish basketball, the imports from the US looks fantastic, while they probably are like 10th tier players I imagine.

I think most can appriciate a awesome game by Brazil in the WCH's, but lower level soccer just aren't that great.

2. More then anything, soccer is a game with nerve. I am a big soccerfan for sure, BUT, that means that I can watch a 90 minutes booring soccergame, without anything exciting happening, and still feel like I will get a heartattack because its so nervous.

Its kind of like its so hard to sell in baseball in europe. I do not know the lingo, but I am sure a NYY fan would get excited from just listening to the radio if it was a WS G7 against Boston, bottom of the 9th, and all bases were loaded. Its tradition. (Can Bos and NYY even play each other in the WS? lol)

Can US MLS teams build up that tradition in the states? Thats what they have struggled with so far.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
the club equivalent of the world cup is the club world cup, not the uefa champions league.

Nope its not.

Thats, at least almost, kind like saying that hockeys equivalent to the WS is -- whats the cup called again when a NHL team opening in Europe plays against a European team before the NHL season starts?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
There is nothing wrong with soccer.

But, its a sport thats hard to sell in for several reasons:
1. Its a game that becomes better in -- basically -- absolute relation to how good the playeres are. At least in Sweden, if you go and watch a 4th tier hockey game you'll see players score great goals. Stickhandle through the entire opposing team et c. You'll see hits and fights and what not. Sure, the pace is the big difference, but its still entertaining. Go and see a 4th tier soccer game in Sweden and you will be glad if anything exciting happeneds for 90 mintutes.

When I watch swedish basketball, the imports from the US looks fantastic, while they probably are like 10th tier players I imagine.

I think most can appriciate a awesome game by Brazil in the WCH's, but lower level soccer just aren't that great.

2. More then anything, soccer is a game with nerve. I am a big soccerfan for sure, BUT, that means that I can watch a 90 minutes booring soccergame, without anything exciting happening, and still feel like I will get a heartattack because its so nervous.

Its kind of like its so hard to sell in baseball in europe. I do not know the lingo, but I am sure a NYY fan would get excited from just listening to the radio if it was a WS G7 against Boston, bottom of the 9th, and all bases were loaded. Its tradition. (Can Bos and NYY even play each other in the WS? lol)

Can US MLS teams build up that tradition in the states? Thats what they have struggled with so far.

Good points Ola. Although you could basically change the 4th tier Swedish soccer club to 1st and the point remains true :laugh: :rant:

Though once in a blue moon someone does something amazing over here, like this goal by Linus Hallenius in the 2nd division.

Last edited:

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Why the hell would anyone follow the MLS if he can watch CL, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga? Heck even the French, Portuguese and Dutch league deliver a higher quality of Soccer than the MLS.
Why support the Panthers when you can support the Red Wings?

:shakehead x 100,000,000,000

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Unless the MLS finds a way to get David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and some other elite soccer player I don't think its gonna happen.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Unless the MLS finds a way to get David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and some other elite soccer player I don't think its gonna happen.

David Beckham, check.
Thierry Henry, check.

They are still working on the rest.:sarcasm:

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006

Because Americans' want to watch an American product? US is a nation full of pride and gets off watching and believing/knowing our sport products are top dogs.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Because Americans' want to watch an American product? US is a nation full of pride and gets off watching and believing/knowing our sport products are top dogs.

Not just Americans. Everyone prefers to watch local sports teams over ones located thousands of miles away. Or else this forum would not be full of 50 billion threads of Canadians demanding the relocation of southern NHL teams to Canada. They want more local teams as well.

It's not just an American thing.

billycanuck

Another New MLS Stadium

DynamoNewStadium.bmp

Houston Dynamo are building a new 22,000 capacity stadium for 2012. Sporting Kansas City is opening a new 18,500 stadium this year and the Portland Timbers spent $31 million to renovate the PGE Park to be soccer specific (estimated 18,000 capacity).

Soccer specific stadiums are going to help this league continue to grow in attendance (although Seattle doesn't really need one).

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Not just Americans. Everyone prefers to watch local sports teams over ones located thousands of miles away. Or else this forum would not be full of 50 billion threads of Canadians demanding the relocation of southern NHL teams to Canada. They want more local teams as well.

It's not just an American thing.

support your local club!!

billycanuck

Just and update on the happenings in the league.

San Jose Earthquakes are building a new a Soccer Specific Stadium right beside the airport. It will seat 15,000 and can be expanded to 18,000. Stadium is being built entirely with private funds.

Sporting Kansas City has announced it has found a company to name the new stadium. Lance Armstrong's charity, Livestrong, will own the naming rights to the stadium. The twist, is that Livestrong will not pay any money to Sporting KC, but instead, over 6 years, Sporting will donate between $8-10 million. Concession and ticket revenues will be given to the Livestrong foundation.

Also, the Kraft's (who own the NFL Patriot's) are still actively pursuing location and financial details of a new stadium for the Revolution.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I actually like watching Toronto FC and if I see it on CBC, I'll watch the game and it's one of the things I miss about living in Europe.

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Just and update on the happenings in the league.

San Jose Earthquakes are building a new a Soccer Specific Stadium right beside the airport. It will seat 15,000 and can be expanded to 18,000. Stadium is being built entirely with private funds.

Sporting Kansas City has announced it has found a company to name the new stadium. Lance Armstrong's charity, Livestrong, will own the naming rights to the stadium. The twist, is that Livestrong will not pay any money to Sporting KC, but instead, over 6 years, Sporting will donate between $8-10 million. Concession and ticket revenues will be given to the Livestrong foundation.

Also, the Kraft's (who own the NFL Patriot's) are still actively pursuing location and financial details of a new stadium for the Revolution.
that is quite an interesting situation.

in forbes most recent evaluation (2008, so old), KC was the least valuable team in the league and losing a few million each year.

Last edited:

billycanuck

in forbes most recent evaluation (2008, so old), KC was the least valuable team in the league and losing a few million each year.

I thought so too, but I spoke to a inside source saying that with the new stadium and re-branding, the team is expecting to pull in some decent revenue this year for the club.

Positive movement for that club and I am sure they will probably get a few fans if the Chiefs end up not playing this year.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
If you believe Luis Fabiano would rather play for Sevilla than Sao Paulo if the money was equal, you're simply wrong.

The reason why Brazil doesn't feature in the equation at the moment is the chaotic nature of Brazilian club football.

A joke that goes around stating that, while god gave Brazil the best soccer players, he also have them the worst administrators. That is very true when you see how Brazilian soccer is run in comparison to Argentina. The latter has a lesser economic stability than Brazil but they don't have problems holding onto top talent.

It is certainly felt that the 2014 WC would change that.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Nah. NHL is THE league for the best hockey players, regardless of nationality, even Russian. MLS is coming along quite nicely but the league is a small fish compared to the big European ones (EPL, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga) all of which have clubs who have history, prestige, huge stadiums, immense support and most importantly.... money. The best football players want to play for the Manchester United's, the Real Madrid's, the Inter's, the Bayern Munich's, etc etc.... They don't wanna spend the prime of their career (and footballers usually don't have long careers compared to hockey or baseball players) with the Houston Dynamo.

I'd also like to touch on the cultural differences. A player (especially a young one) coming from South America will almost always want to go to a country where the culture and language is similar to his homeland. A Brazilian or Argentine will feel much more at home in the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or French league than in anglophone England or US/Canada. Granted, there are exceptions but not many.

Developing home-grown talent and keeping them for as long as possible I'm sure is one of the main focuses the MLS strives for. I think in 5-10 years time, many good American and Canadian footballers will be playing for clubs in Europe and God willing as a Canadian, our national team will qualify for a World Cup.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

I thought so too, but I spoke to a inside source saying that with the new stadium and re-branding, the team is expecting to pull in some decent revenue this year for the club.

Positive movement for that club and I am sure they will probably get a few fans if the Chiefs end up not playing this year.

This is part of it. More or less KC was bought recently (last few years) from one of the poorer (performance as an owner wise) owners in MLS, Hunt's sports group. The new ownership has completely changed things, including getting a new staduim built and acquiring some big names, including Mexican national teamer Omar Bravo and lining up friendlies vs the likes of ManU as well as hosting Gold Cup games.

Also during that valuation KC was playing either in the cavernous Arrowhead stadium where they averaged ~10k a game, or in the minor league baseball stadium where the capacity was ~10k. Both of which they had to pay rent at as well as not getting other revenue streams. In the new stadium they are already around 9k ST holders I believe and I can see them averaging around 18k this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad