Will MLS eventually surpass the NHL in revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Haven't read the thread, but short answer, no. MLS fans are mostly hipsters/people who will cheer for any local sports team. Most real soccer fans in North America still prefer their favorite European team. The stars will always be in Europe and so that's where the money is, and that leaves MLS as a second rate league.

And I actually enjoy watching MLS.

Why would an American have a favorite European team?

I'm definitely a big soccer fan. The Fire are the only team I give two ***** about winning.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
unless the thoughts deal with how the game generated money, there is a soccer board they can be discussed in...

Seriously.

Do we really need not one, but two different soccer threads on the Business of Hockey forum?

Are there not soccer forums out there on the internet where the soccer fans can congregate to talk about their dreams of surpassing the NHL?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Seriously.

Do we really need not one, but two different soccer threads on the Business of Hockey forum?

Are there not soccer forums out there on the internet where the soccer fans can congregate to talk about their dreams of surpassing the NHL?

Or just simply going here:
The Soccer board
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=166

But this one thread, talking about the possibility of the MLS becoming a true major league competitor with the NHL, would seem to have a purpose here, I'd think.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
That's like asking why would a European have a favorite NHL team. How many Euros are on these boards?

The reason is because it's fun and it's a better product.

I suppose it was that kind of attitude that was the cause for why "americans" never seemed to be really strong fans of the Indy Cart Series... too many non-"americans". Hell, if that's the explanation, then perhaps it applies to the NHL as well.

larma

Mar 4, 2011
A lot of the Europeans might just follow the team that their favorite player is playing in. E.g. I've never had a favorite team, I've always been on the Teemu Selänne bandwagon.

I'd say that's more for the casual fan. It'll be interesting to see where all those people head when Teemu calls it quits. I have a feeling a lot of people might stop watching NHL. I for one have never been on that bandwagon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
unless the thoughts deal with how the game generated money, there is a soccer board they can be discussed in...

I think he just wants to troll/promote the MLS here, he hasn't made a single post in the MLS thread at the Soccer board at HFBoards for the last 5 pages (which spans a few months). :shakehead

Last edited:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The $1 Billion spent on US rights for the World Cup was more aimed at the Hispanic market. The split is about 60-40 in favor of Spanish-language rights.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Been following this thread for a while before I was able to post. I see a few names here that I recognize from BigSoccer. A couple of observations:

- First, although MLS still isn't even in the same universe as the NHL in terms of revenue, things can change over the course of the generations. It's often been pointed out that horseracing and boxing used to be massive sports in America, but now have relatively niche followings. It's not going to happen any time soon, but MLS could definitely catch up to the NHL in the coming decades. Not that I'm taking sides, because I love hockey and am finally getting back into the NHL after a 15-year abstinence (triggered by the departure of three of the WHA teams).

- As far as a NYC team, I think they would be huge. The MetroBulls for whatever reason never really captured the city's attention, partly because they've never played in NYC and partly because they've been pretty hapless for much of their existence. I don't think you can look at LA and say the one city/two team model has failed, because Chivas was doomed to fail (to the extent that they have "failed") right from the beginning by being a glorified minor-league affiliate in somebody else's stadium. MLS wants a strong franchise in the world's biggest media market, and the Red Bulls haven't managed that yet.

- After NY2 I don't think there are any really obvious markets, so even if MLS wanted to continue to expand, I think they'd have to wait for a while. Maybe Atlanta and St. Louis if everything there was in place, but otherwise nothing really leaps out as being the obvious next choice.

- As to the playoffs/no playoffs debate: no playoffs don't make sense in a league with no relegation. If MLS went with a single table and no playoffs, the season would very quickly become meaningless (and thus less exciting) for the majority of the teams. Probably by June or so it would be obvious which 3/4 of the league has nothing left to play for in the current season, which would be terrible for the league. Possible participation in the Concacaf Champions League just isn't really a huge incentive at this point. I personally am not a big fan of playoffs in soccer, but I don't see any other alternative for MLS any time in the foreseeable future. But I would really like to see the final at the home of the highest remaining seed. Neutral-site finals in front of a disinterested crowd has been terrible to witness over the years. It worked okay until around '99 or so, but since then it's just been depressing.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
So far dallas had about 10K(paid) vs NY
Colorado had (7809) for there opening playoff game vs CBUS

single elimination wild cards.

then double leg semifinals.

then back to single elimination conference finals.

then the finals.

FYI teams in each conference get moved around in the semifinals.

like NY is playing LA in the West Semifinal.

Just chaos.

Anyways when you have single elimination games and they do that bad.

what is there to argue?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I agree it's nutty. They should have one-game playoff series, always at the home of the higher seed. Fewer games means more time to sell tickets and market the game in advance, which is crucial this time of year when the weather in some of the markets (Colorado being a prime example) can be dicey.

drive45

Jul 1, 2011
closer than I appear
Been following this thread for a while before I was able to post. I see a few names here that I recognize from BigSoccer. A couple of observations:

- First, although MLS still isn't even in the same universe as the NHL in terms of revenue, things can change over the course of the generations. It's often been pointed out that horseracing and boxing used to be massive sports in America, but now have relatively niche followings. It's not going to happen any time soon, but MLS could definitely catch up to the NHL in the coming decades. Not that I'm taking sides, because I love hockey and am finally getting back into the NHL after a 15-year abstinence (triggered by the departure of three of the WHA teams).

- As far as a NYC team, I think they would be huge. The MetroBulls for whatever reason never really captured the city's attention, partly because they've never played in NYC and partly because they've been pretty hapless for much of their existence. I don't think you can look at LA and say the one city/two team model has failed, because Chivas was doomed to fail (to the extent that they have "failed") right from the beginning by being a glorified minor-league affiliate in somebody else's stadium. MLS wants a strong franchise in the world's biggest media market, and the Red Bulls haven't managed that yet.

- After NY2 I don't think there are any really obvious markets, so even if MLS wanted to continue to expand, I think they'd have to wait for a while. Maybe Atlanta and St. Louis if everything there was in place, but otherwise nothing really leaps out as being the obvious next choice.

- As to the playoffs/no playoffs debate: no playoffs don't make sense in a league with no relegation. If MLS went with a single table and no playoffs, the season would very quickly become meaningless (and thus less exciting) for the majority of the teams. Probably by June or so it would be obvious which 3/4 of the league has nothing left to play for in the current season, which would be terrible for the league. Possible participation in the Concacaf Champions League just isn't really a huge incentive at this point. I personally am not a big fan of playoffs in soccer, but I don't see any other alternative for MLS any time in the foreseeable future. But I would really like to see the final at the home of the highest remaining seed. Neutral-site finals in front of a disinterested crowd has been terrible to witness over the years. It worked okay until around '99 or so, but since then it's just been depressing.

does this mean Winnipeg will be getting a soccer team soon?

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
MLS has got to fix the playoffs format. There is obvious disinterest in the single game wild card from the fans.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This thread has run it's course... it now has absolutely nothing to do with hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad