Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What was he pacing last season? 120ish? And this season? 150ish? He’s never really scored at a pace like this before.

This season is the outlier thus far. I mean, he’s only traveling between BC and Quebec for 2 or 3 game series against 6 teams, only 2 of which I’d consider safe bets as playoff teams. One of the hardest parts about producing in the NHL is the scheduling, travel, and the 82 game grind. Couple all that with being an all star that is targeted every game and it’s the most brutal pro league to play in.

I’ll happily eat crow on this one if he can prove people like me wrong. As far as entertainment value goes he’s right up there with Bure and peak Ovi for me, probably already in my top 10 favourite players. But until he does this during a normal season, I’m not convinced this is the norm for him.
Don't you think he was probably bound for an unsustainable career year at some point though? He's only 24 and his PPG has increased every season. Kucherov had an unsustainable year where he randomly went from a 100 point player to a 128 point player. Don't you think its reasonable to expect that the consistent 120+P (pace) player goes off for a career 140+P (pace) season?

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Just think. If a guy is scoring at 120 point pace at age 21/22 etc. What do you think he's going to do at 23 24 25....26 etc.

Sid paced 120 at 19, then again over a few seasons in his mid 20s. Ovi did it once in his early 20s and never again. Most guys peak production wise by 25 historically, but with the way the game has changed physically we might see a shift in that regard.

The only reason I think Mcdavid will be different is that his play style should help maintain his athleticism. Ovi was a freak, but his body was destroyed from being a wrecking ball on skates during his early 20s. Sid's was elite too, but a decade of playing a grinding game heavily relying on cycling the puck and battling around the net wore him down. Both guys had basically lost most of their top end speed by their late 20s. I just don't see Mcdavid's body breaking down the same way, although maybe some playoff hockey will take a toll on him, I guess we'll see.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Don't you think he was probably bound for an unsustainable career year at some point though? He's only 24 and his PPG has increased every season. Kucherov had an unsustainable year where he randomly went from a 100 point player to a 128 point player. Don't you think its reasonable to expect that the consistent 120+P (pace) player goes off for a career 140+P (pace) season?

If that's the case, it's a shame it had to happen this season; hockey nerds would be debating that for decades :laugh:

I don't believe that's the case though, Mcdavid is a generational talent that's been put in a unique situation where he is thriving. It's the same reason Matthews is on pace for like 65 goals, this season is easier physically and the North division is mostly hot garbage. Like throw a young Ovi or Sid in a season where they only play 6 teams, 2 of which are like the Thrashers and Islanders and the other 4 are borderline bubble teams. It's hard to believe they wouldn't eviscerate their competition in the same way.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If that's the case, it's a shame it had to happen this season; hockey nerds would be debating that for decades :laugh:

I don't believe that's the case though, Mcdavid is a generational talent that's been put in a unique situation where he is thriving. It's the same reason Matthews is on pace for like 65 goals, this season is easier physically and the North division is mostly hot garbage. Like throw a young Ovi or Sid in a season where they only play 6 teams, 2 of which are like the Thrashers and Islanders and the other 4 are borderline bubble teams. It's hard to believe they wouldn't eviscerate their competition in the same way.
We'll see. Watching McDavid its always looked like he was capable of far more offensive production wise than he has put up prior to this season. He's just entering his prime, and while he may not hit the same pace as this season I do think there are some 130-140 point seasons in his future. The sheer amount of offensive opportunities he creates every night is crazy.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
GP: 47 Pts: 84
PPG: 1.79

Games Remaining : 9
16 points to go.

1.78 PPG needed to hit target.

Now its even money if he hits 100.

He could, but it's doubtful.

He's finished playing the two teams he has the most points against (Ottawa & Winnipeg).

He has 43 of his 84 points against Ottawa (21) and the Jets (22).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He's finished playing the two teams he has the most points against (Ottawa & Winnipeg).

He has 5 games against Vancouver, 2 against Calgary, and 2 against Montreal. His season ppg vs those teams are 1.6, 1.875, and 1.14, respectively against those teams. If those paces continued he would be expected to score:

8P vs Van, 3.75P against Calgary, and 2.28P against Montreal = 14P which would put him at 98P. Thats close enough to think it is more than a small chance of happening. He seems to have woken up against Montreal with 6P in his last 2 games vs 2P in his first 5. Calgary has always historically been a good team for him to have multi-point and sometimes 3/4/5 point nights. Vancouver who really knows, they're going to be dead tired most nights down the stretch with their condensed schedule.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

2 against Calgary
2 against Habs
5 against Canucks

I mean ... you're betting on these 3 teams shutting him down?

Habs play him hard, but look like they're unravelling. He has a history of torching the Flames, and the Canucks are exhausted.

This is even-money. 50/50 chance he does it.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
So McDavid has 15 points in his last 15 periods. He's a point-per-period player right now. lol. Ridiculous.
That is so crazy. But you know what is even crazier? There are a lot of periods where he could have 2-3 points... he generates more scoring opportunities than any player I've ever seen.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He'll have at least one 5pt in a game to reduce the pressure.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McDavid is so consistent I won't put it past him. One thing I have noticed in McDavid's game this season is his strength and power has improved. That was one of the things you could see since he entered the league that once it improved, he would hit his peak as a player. I think there is still some room to improve that area. Every season he has improved as a player and it has been great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad