Will McDavid be unanimous Hart winner?

Will McDavid be unanimous Hart winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
People keep bringing up Toronto writers...they watched McDavid a lot this year.

Watch out for beat writers from other divisions in their own bubble, some who might think the North is a joke.

Reactions: North Cole

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
To be fair - you don't "need to follow more than one division" to know about McDavid. He's all the NHL is talking about lately, and his insane pace to end the season in the past 10 games is crazy. Maybe if he had been that hot at start, and ended a bit slower, some voters who mostly follow other divisions would look elsewhere. I don't see it happening.

He might not win unanimously - but if he doesn't it's because a voter or two purposefully don't vote for him to create controversary/publicity for themselves. Can't ever really predict that, but it's possible.

The screenshot of Rob Rossi on page one all but confirms that Crosby will get at least one first place vote. The intra-division play creates echo-chambers, where people only watch a fraction of what has happened, become too biased from it and form dogmatic opinions.

The 2013 season had some pretty eyebrow-raising voting results, this year will probably be even worse.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The screenshot of Rob Rossi on page one all but confirms that Crosby will get at least one first place vote. The intra-division play creates echo-chambers, where people only watch a fraction of what has happened, become too biased from it and form dogmatic opinions.

The 2013 season had some pretty eyebrow-raising voting results, this year will probably be even worse.

I missed that somehow.

He sounds like a moron. I'm a big Crosby fan - but McDavid has 40 more points. He may finish with 50 more points. That'd be like 1 more point a game.

Oh well - it's like I said, anyone not voting for McDavid is doing it purposefully to stir controversary and try to make himself the story.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There’s always a few homer/contrarians out there who want to create controversy. So I doubt it will be unanimous. As others have said the Lindsay is a more meaningful award.

Reactions: Dieseloil

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Matthews will get votes for 40 goals in 49 games. He'd get quite a few actually if the voters weren't so worried about being labeled homers.

However, Matthews has a much, much better supporting case. So McDavid truly deserves the Hart.

McDavid deserves the Hart because he’s far and away the best player in the world and is putting up the best season since Lemieux’s 1995-96 Penguins. He already has 35 more points than Matthews and would be up by 50+ if this were a normal 82 game season.

It has nothing to do with Matthews having a better supporting cast, McDavid will win because he’ll likely have more assists than anyone else in the league outside of his own teammate has points.

That’s lapping the competition in a Gretzky like fashion.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Imagine if the Oilers would have missed the playoffs. Wonder who would have won it since you cannot be that valuable on a non playoff team, according to the media at least.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'm willing to bet absolutely not unless complete homer. Matthews isn't even best/more valuable player on his team.
Marner is so underrated for the success Matthews has. Marty Biron said it best on the NHL Network this week that Matthews is an elite 50 goal score but playing with Marner will make him a super elite 65 goal scorer. Just look at assists, Matthews has 25 and McDavid has 68. Crazy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Rob Rossi.

Living proof that people who get a vote on these awards do not, in fact, automatically know more about hockey than your average message board poster.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d say the average voter is more informed. But there are extreme outliers.

Are they, though? I don't think Rossi is that much of an outlier. Even guys like Friedman and Dreger come up with some questionable takes when you hear them breaking down their ballots and why they voted for certain players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are they, though? I don't think Rossi is that much of an outlier. Even guys like Friedman and Dreger come up with some questionable takes when you hear them breaking down their ballots and why they voted for certain players.
Let’s see the ballots. Obviously we will see differing value systems, but you see the same here with polls everyday.

Going against consensus isn’t always wrong either. We see it at the draft yearly. Sometimes it’s correct sometimes it’s wrong. But no one here is more informed than an NHL hockey ops department

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Let’s see the ballots. Obviously we will see differing value systems, but you see the same here with polls everyday.

Going against consensus isn’t always wrong either. We see it at the draft yearly. Sometimes it’s correct sometimes it’s wrong. But no one here is more informed than an NHL hockey ops department

That's completely different than the people who vote on awards. A lot of them are writers first and foremost who just so happen to cover hockey for their respective news outlet. Pittsburgh's media has a few who have repeatedly shown questionable grasp of hockey. Yet they vote on these awards.

My main point is sometimes people put these PWHA voters on some kind of tier of hockey knowledge above us regular folks, when in fact a lot of them are just casual fans who so happen to have a degree in journalism and got a job as a writer rather than an accountant or bus driver or plumber like the rest of us.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's completely different than the people who vote on awards. A lot of them are writers first and foremost who just so happen to cover hockey for their respective news outlet. Pittsburgh's media has a few who have repeatedly shown questionable grasp of hockey. Yet they vote on these awards.

My main point is sometimes people put these PWHA voters on some kind of tier of hockey knowledge above us regular folks, when in fact a lot of them are just casual fans who so happen to have a degree in journalism and got a job as a writer rather than an accountant or bus driver or plumber like the rest of us.
True, but it’s not like GM voted on awards don’t have similarly screwy votes like the Vezina.

Mar 26, 2010
No way. There are players in the NHL that are having better seasons.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

I don't think there will be any eyebrow raising voting results, there is a pretty clear cut frontrunner for each trophy.

Hart, Lindsay, Ross- McDavid
Rocket- Matthews
Norris- Fox (maybe Makar/Hedman)
Vezina- Vasy
Selke- Barkov

If it was a tighter race then the media idiots might botch it but it should be pretty straightforward at this point

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I recently posted this in another thread. Since 1980, there have been eight seasons where a player took 95%+ of the first-place votes for the Hart trophy:

SeasonPlayerMax1st placePercentageNotes
1982Gretzky6363100.0%Only unanimous Hart in NHL history
1993Lemieux504998.0%1x 2nd place vote
1992Messier696797.1%2x 2nd place votes
1984Gretzky626096.8%2x 2nd place votes
2012Malkin14914496.6%4x 2nd place votes, 1x third place vote
2019Kucherov17116495.9%3x 2nd place votes, 2x third place votes, 2x fourth place votes
2008Ovechkin13412895.5%4x 2nd place votes, 1x third place votes, missing from one ballot
1985Gretzky636095.2%1x 2nd place vote, missing from two ballots
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't think McDavid wins unanimously. It's only happened once in all of NHL history (going back to the 1920's). And there were far fewer voters in the 20th century - you're more likely to get a contrarian or shameless homer in a pool of around 150 voters, as opposed to a pool of around 60 voters.

Still, I expect McDavid will end up in the top five on the list, making it the most decisive Hart trophy of the 21st century.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

At least Rossi backs up his claim.

The Hart and most valuable player tag leaves it a bit open to interpretation and I think at least 3 votes goes elsewhere.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least Rossi backs up his claim.

The Hart and most valuable player tag leaves it a bit open to interpretation and I think at least 3 votes goes elsewhere.

Every voter who makes questionable votes "backs up" their reasons. But that doesn't mean they present very strong or valid reasons.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No it won't be unanimous. Some reporters (Cough Rossi) will pick Crosby. Some (Cough Woody Paige) will pick MacKinnon.

In the end, it's really irrelevant.

To me Derek Jeter was a better player than Rivera. It doesn't matter to me that Mo was unanimous while Jeter wasn't.

First is first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad