• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He should, but won't win unanimously.

I see both Matthews and Crosby getting a couple votes... there is always some PHWA member who wants to be controversial... even David Pastrnak got three 1st place votes last year.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Deflect? When did I say anything about disagreeing with what you originally said? I was just asking if you realize you mispelled your username and you seemed to get angry about the question.

I tend to assume people will discuss a thread's topic in that thread, so when someone like you doesn't I assume they are deflecting from the topic at hand. My apologies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I voted 4-6.

He should be, but I'm guessing there's at least 4-6 beat writers out there (knowing beat writers) that are going to come down with a nasty case of Smartest Guy in the Room.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
If Connor McDavid didn't score a single goal this year, he would've finished 1st or 2nd in scoring. (Depends if Draisaitl assisted on at least 21/33 of McDavid's goals)

Let that sink in.

And some crazy f***ers will still not vote him 1st for the Hart.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I voted 4-6.

He should be, but I'm guessing there's at least 4-6 beat writers out there (knowing beat writers) that are going to come down with a nasty case of Smartest Guy in the Room.
Can't remember the writer but he basically said he's voting for Crosby and anyone who doesn't is Anti-penguin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Interesting that they've cut down the number of voters this year to only 100. I'm not sure if that will help of hurt McDavid in terms of winning unanimously, but it should probably limit the number of votes for other players should he not do it.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Thats the guy and i imagine there will be a few others that are as dumb as him.
I understand Taking other factors into account if it was like a small gap like 5 or less points, but when theres multiple different stats that are at historic levels for a player and every other person in the league is 2/3 of his production, there isn't a conclusion you can come to that doesn't involve him winning the Hart.

Connor has just as many GWG's as everyone, he has the highest point share for his team of all time, etc like I've been saying for weeks now in every thread connected to this for people saying he shouldn't win the Hart I've been saying give me empirical evidence as to why he shouldn't and I haven't gotten anything.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I recently posted this in another thread. Since 1980, there have been eight seasons where a player took 95%+ of the first-place votes for the Hart trophy:

SeasonPlayerMax1st placePercentageNotes
1982Gretzky6363100.0%Only unanimous Hart in NHL history
1993Lemieux504998.0%1x 2nd place vote
1992Messier696797.1%2x 2nd place votes
1984Gretzky626096.8%2x 2nd place votes
2012Malkin14914496.6%4x 2nd place votes, 1x third place vote
2019Kucherov17116495.9%3x 2nd place votes, 2x third place votes, 2x fourth place votes
2008Ovechkin13412895.5%4x 2nd place votes, 1x third place votes, missing from one ballot
1985Gretzky636095.2%1x 2nd place vote, missing from two ballots
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't think McDavid wins unanimously. It's only happened once in all of NHL history (going back to the 1920's). And there were far fewer voters in the 20th century - you're more likely to get a contrarian or shameless homer in a pool of around 150 voters, as opposed to a pool of around 60 voters.

Still, I expect McDavid will end up in the top five on the list, making it the most decisive Hart trophy of the 21st century.

Side note. I read today the number of voters has been scaled down to 100. 20 local reporters from each division and 20 "national" reporters. Could make things interesting.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I understand Taking other factors into account if it was like a small gap like 5 or less points, but when theres multiple different stats that are at historic levels for a player and every other person in the league is 2/3 of his production, there isn't a conclusion you can come to that doesn't involve him winning the Hart.

Connor has just as many GWG's as everyone, he has the highest point share for his team of all time, etc like I've been saying for weeks now in every thread connected to this for people saying he shouldn't win the Hart I've been saying give me empirical evidence as to why he shouldn't and I haven't gotten anything.

Ted Lindsay is the award for the most outstanding player. Art Ross for most points.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Can't remember the writer but he basically said he's voting for Crosby and anyone who doesn't is Anti-penguin

That guy also voted for Panarin last year and left Draisaitl off his ballot completely (but squeezed Malkin onto it with his 5th place vote).

Basically he's an idiot.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
That guy also voted for Panarin last year and left Draisaitl off his ballot completely (but squeezed Malkin onto it with his 5th place vote).

Basically he's an idiot.
Rob Rossi is the fools name. Voting for Panarin last year is fine but leaving Drai off the top 5 completely is asinine. Almost as asinine as not having McDavid #1 on your ballot this year.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Rob Rossi is the fools name. Voting for Panarin last year is fine but leaving Drai off the top 5 completely is asinine. Almost as asinine as not having McDavid #1 on your ballot.

Voting for Panarin last year was fine. However, Rossi has been repeating that Crosby deserves the Hart because he is the best player on a division winning team. Panarin's Rangers were 10th in the East at the time of voting last season. Where's the consistency?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ted Lindsay is the award for the most outstanding player. Art Ross for most points.

So what are some arguments against McDavid based on objective content and not narratives and excuses? Because "Crosby is a leader and the team was injured" is a pretty bullshit argument. What makes someone who you agree is the best player in the game, who also objectively added more to their team in both raw and relative numbers, not the most valuable to their team?

Fun fact: At ES, the Pens have a worse GF% with Crosby on the ice than not this season. Now there's obviously factors that play into that, but it hardly screams league MVP, especially if the argument is based around the "relative to his team" aspect.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think he should be. Easily the best player in the game. He's more valuable to his team than any other player for their team in the NHL.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's winning the Hart and the Lindsay, hands down
Don't know if unanimous but it should be.
This is the best season I've seen since Mario Lemieux

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So what are some arguments against McDavid based on objective content and not narratives and excuses? Because "Crosby is a leader and the team was injured" is a pretty bullshit argument. What makes someone who you agree is the best player in the game, who also objectively added more to their team in both raw and relative numbers, not the most valuable to their team?

Fun fact: At ES, the Pens have a worse GF% with Crosby on the ice than not this season. Now there's obviously factors that play into that, but it hardly screams league MVP, especially if the argument is based around the "relative to his team" aspect.
It's all that leadership when hes not on the ice, makes them play better.

/sarcasm

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Rossi also doubled down and said he would vote for Matthews ahead of McDavid.

Dude struggles with understanding hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->