Will McDavid be unanimous Hart winner?

Will McDavid be unanimous Hart winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He should but he won't. Some idiots out there will vote for Auston Matthews, or Sidney Crosby (see above).

I've never understood why the Hart Trophy matters so much, anyways. It's an award voted on by a bunch of morons. The Ted Lindsay trophy is what players really should care more about given it's voted on by members of the NHLPA.

I know if it was me, I'd rather be recognized by my peers than by guys that have to write about me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They shouldn't even bother with 3 Nominees this year. Just rename it the McDavid trophy. No one is winning it anytime soon unless Connor gets injured.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm willing to bet that Matthews gets at least one 1st place vote.

I don't know. I really feel like this year could be unanimous. If Matthews had scored 50 goals instead of 40, maybe. The gap is so huge right now though, it wouldn't make sense.

And no one else has a real good case to hart this year.

Kane dragging a Chicago team no one had expected to playoffs could have stolen a vote, but they're missing and he's slowed down a lot
Panarin last year dragging Rangers to playoffs when nobody expected, maybe. But no playoffs this year, much less points, games missed
Mack last year maybe - great this year, but not as good and his numbers way too far behind
McDavid > Drai is a slam dunk this season, unlike last year when they were close, so no votes stolen there
Vasi is good - but playing on Tampa will be such strong bias against any hart votes for him
Saros is good in Nashville but not getting all that much hype

Honestly - I could see him win unanimously. There may always be this one wahoo trying to be controversial for the sake of it and voting for someone else - but I kind of think it won't happen this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They shouldn't even bother with 3 Nominees this year. Just rename it the McDavid trophy. No one is winning it anytime soon unless Connor gets injured.

That's dumb. 3 or 4 seasons ago he had 4 goals to start the season and everyone on here was swearing "wow he'll score 100 goals this year! he'll win the next 8 art ross!".

No. He's great this year - but he just got beaten fair and square 2 years in a row by Kuch and Drai. He's talented enough to win more, but it's by no mean a sure thing.

Syyncrow

Dec 16, 2017
He should but as shown and talked about earlier in this thread there are way too many idiots that are allowed to vote for it to happen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he isn't whoever if voting against him should lose their voting privileges. Simple as that. It's been so many years since the point gap has been this large and McDavid has gotten a point on something stupid like 53% of Edmonton's goals. For a team making it to the playoffs, there's no one else that could be a more obvious choice this season.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
McDavid has already won the 2 hearts he really cares about lol
th
I love this photo so much. lol

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, there always are homers. Hopefully only 1-3 this time.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Pretty sure the last unanimous Hart win was Wayne Gretzky in 1982. There's 130+ voters, many of whom didn't follow more than one division this year. I wouldn't expect very good voting results this season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just so as a reminder peak Gretzky was unanimous only once, annually losing votes to Rod Langway.

I feel as though this is less likely to happen in today's era. With Internet and social media, voters get scrutinized a lot more. This is as slam dunk as there's been in a long time.

Who knows if he wins. Look at 88-89....

I think Lemieux should have won very easily in 89 - but at least there was a nice story to tell with Gretzky that year. First year after trade, fantastic season (if not as good as Lemieux), etc.

There's nothing quite equivalent this year. Maybe if Kane had finished strong and dragged a really bad Chicago team to playoffs - but he finished slow and his team is out.
Maybe if Toronto had not made playoffs and this was the first year them making with Matthew's goal-scoring leading the way - but no, they were large favorites in division

No one else has a good enough story to take votes from McDavid imo.

Pretty sure the last unanimous Hart win was Wayne Gretzky in 1982. There's 130+ voters, many of whom didn't follow more than one division this year. I wouldn't expect very good voting results this season.

To be fair - you don't "need to follow more than one division" to know about McDavid. He's all the NHL is talking about lately, and his insane pace to end the season in the past 10 games is crazy. Maybe if he had been that hot at start, and ended a bit slower, some voters who mostly follow other divisions would look elsewhere. I don't see it happening.

He might not win unanimously - but if he doesn't it's because a voter or two purposefully don't vote for him to create controversary/publicity for themselves. Can't ever really predict that, but it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad