Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
McDavid has already won the 2 hearts he really cares about lol
th

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For reference sake, the most obvious Hart trophies since the full lockout were Crosby in '14, Malkin in '12 and Ovechkin in '08. Crosby had 8 first place votes go to others, Malkin 5 and Ovechkin 6.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
There will definitely be a handful of votes for somebody else, reminds me of when Matthews won the Calder and Winnipeg writers (3 of them?) voted for Laine and every other voter said Matthews.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Matthews will get votes for 40 goals in 49 games. He'd get quite a few actually if the voters weren't so worried about being labeled homers.

However, Matthews has a much, much better supporting case. So McDavid truly deserves the Hart.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
There will definitely be a handful of votes for somebody else, reminds me of when Matthews won the Calder and Winnipeg writers (3 of them?) voted for Laine and every other voter said Matthews.

To be fair, Laine and Matthews were close-ish. Laine had higher PPG and GPG (IIRC) and without his injury he was just as likely candidate for the Calder as Matthews.

This season no-one is even on the same planet as McDavid. He SHOULD be the unanimous winner but history shows us he probably won't be.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No. A few jackasses trying to push their own analytic models will vote for a random player, like what happened with some of the awards last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seachd

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
To be fair, Laine and Matthews were close-ish. Laine had higher PPG and GPG (IIRC) and without his injury he was just as likely candidate for the Calder as Matthews.

This season no-one is even on the same planet as McDavid. He SHOULD be the unanimous winner but history shows us he probably won't be.
Not going to debate Laine vs Matthews rookie seasons but you would think somebody else from not Winnipeg would have voted him if it really was a debate, he won 164-3 first place votes.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not going to debate Laine vs Matthews rookie seasons but you would think somebody else from not Winnipeg would have voted him if it really was a debate, he won 164-3 first place votes.

What I'm saying, is that it's not nearly as egregious to vote Laine over Matthews for Calder than it would be to vote anyone over McDavid this year. Matthews should have won and should have probably won unanimously. But the difference between Laine and Matthews their rookie season is nowhere near in the same stratosphere as the difference between McDavid and everyone else this year.

If you'd want to make a comparison, voting someone over Ovechkin back in 2008 for the Hart would be eons better.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
What I'm saying, is that it's not nearly as egregious to vote Laine over Matthews for Calder than it would be to vote anyone over McDavid this year. Matthews should have won and should have probably won unanimously. But the difference between Laine and Matthews their rookie season is nowhere near in the same stratosphere as the difference between McDavid and everyone else this year.

If you'd want to make a comparison, voting someone over Ovechkin back in 2008 for the Hart would be eons better.
I dont think we are necessarily disagreeing here, I was just using that particular instance as a point that SOMEBODY will definitely take the homer votes. Would not be shocked to see Sid get a vote, Marchand get a vote or Matthews ahead of Mcdavid just because.

Reactions: Plural

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I dont think we are necessarily disagreeing here, I was just using that particular instance as a point that SOMEBODY will definitely take the homer votes. Would not be shocked to see Sid get a vote, Marchand get a vote or Matthews ahead of Mcdavid just because.

Yeah, that example works for sure. My guess is Matthews gets 1-2 first place votes (maybe even 3-5) and Marchand gets 1-2. Other than that, McDavid probably gets all 1st place votes.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad