Will Matthews hit 70 goals in a season in his career?

Will Matthews have a 70G season in his career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think he'll get 60 more than once. 70 is a reach though.

Scoring 70 in this era would be pretty unprecedented. Might be as impressive as Gretzky's 92.

Reactions: saffronleaf

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
No doubt in my mind that he’ll do it

Take out those 10 or so games he’s played with a severely injured wrist and he’s literally a goal per game player

Even if you include those games, he’s pacing for 67 goals over a full season. You know when he’s that close to 70 he’s going to make sure he gets it.

Most complete goal scorer I think I’ve ever seen
There in lies your answer "when healthy". History indicates AM will not play a complete season therefore nullifying his ability for 70.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No. He's amazing but that's just not happening.

If we acknowledge that his "pace" has made him good for 67 goals, etc...........then we also have to acknowledge that he'll likely miss 10-15 games a year, as he has most years(for whatever reason) so far. Therefore, playing in just 70 games or so, 70 goals will elude him.

The kid is frigging unreal, and we're super lucky to have him. I'm MORE than happy with 40+ goal seasons.

Sorry but this is pure nonsense. He only missed a couple games this season, it's public record so feel free to look it up.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
No.
But next season we will track Mcdavid and his goal to get 300 points.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
FWIW nobody has hit the 70 goal mark since the pre-dead puck era nearly 30 years ago.

Even peak Ovi couldn't do it in today's game.

Now if the NHL makes silly rule changes like larger nets, then I say he does it.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Sorry but this is pure nonsense. He only missed a couple games this season, it's public record so feel free to look it up.

No it's not nonsense. I said "for whatever reason".

For this season, the reason is a shortened 56 game season(and he missed some with injury). Same thing last year, with a 70 game season. Injuries the season before kept him to 68 games. Injuries kept him to 62 the year before that.

To assume he'll pace for 67+ goals and play in all 82 games is silly. Absolutely everything would have to go perfectly for that to happen. IN REALITY, he, like most players misses games, sometimes due to injuries, sometimes for things beyond his control.

So I'm saying that we shouldn't assume "everything will go perfectly" like many delusional Leaf fans do every single year. We should factor in some of the other common stuff(like we've seen so far in his games missed...).

There are reasons no one ever scores 70 goals a season for the last MANY years. Games missed is one of those reasons.

When he plays 2-3 FULL seasons, I'll change my tune.

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
There in lies your answer "when healthy". History indicates AM will not play a complete season therefore nullifying his ability for 70.

He’s missed less career games than McDavid. I have no idea what you’re getting at here.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It's very difficult. He has to be healthy all year, which he has never done. And he has to any avoid slumps which he has never done. And the PP has to be more effective.

This year despite health issues, slumps and the PP, he's on pace to nearly 60 goals in 82 games (40 in 53), so if somehow he doesn't have wrist injuries and he stays hot over 80 games and is able to score on the PP, 10 more goals for 70 could happen.

He literally played every game we had last season. This year he missed two. Two. He doesn’t have an issue staying healthy.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think so unless he has a 20%+ shooting percentage, which is hard to do with his volume.

I do think that there's a chance that he ends up better than Ovechkin in goals/game, goals/82, goals/min, etc though.

He's about 1 goal/82 behind Ovechkin as it stands and closing the gap.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He's missed 4 games this season, from injury.

Hopefully your last statement is right.

Yeah my bad I was thinking of the first two he missed and forgot the conditioning ones he took later. My point stands tho, he’s not injury prone. All he needs is 70 games to get 70 goals anyway :D

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No.
But next season we will track Mcdavid and his goal to get 300 points.

I know you’re joking but 300 is obviously foolishness

Matthews pacing 67 goals
McDavid pacing 150 points

do you think McDavid could have a 160 point season in his career?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
No he will not.

This season has been a favourable season for production for a number of players. Matthews has been able to victimize certain teams more than he will in a normal season.

His pace is unbelievable but I don’t think it’s enough to say he can score 70. I expect this year to be an outlier in his career rather than the norm. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he ever even scores 60.

Looking back at Stamkos’ 60 goal season, he scored 40 in his first 49 as well.

In Ovechkin’s 65 goal season he scored 42 in his first 49 games.

I just don’t see it ever happening.

Reactions: Holymakinaw

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I know 70 sounds like a fairytale but think about a perfect season where Matthews never gets injured, the powerplay is actually firing on all cylinders and Matthews decides he's out for blood.

It's entirely possible he could reach 70. Hell if he never gets injured this season and the powerplay isn't a DISASTER he could have almost 50 in 54 games.

I think its possible, and would really cement himself as the greatest goalscorer of this generation, who is the last 70 goal scorer anyways? Selanne?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No it's not nonsense. I said "for whatever reason".

For this season, the reason is a shortened 56 game season(and he missed some with injury). Same thing last year, with a 70 game season. Injuries the season before kept him to 68 games. Injuries kept him to 62 the year before that.

To assume he'll pace for 67+ goals and play in all 82 games is silly. Absolutely everything would have to go perfectly for that to happen. IN REALITY, he, like most players misses games, sometimes due to injuries, sometimes for things beyond his control.

So I'm saying that we shouldn't assume "everything will go perfectly" like many delusional Leaf fans do every single year. We should factor in some of the other common stuff(like we've seen so far in his games missed...).

There are reasons no one ever scores 70 goals a season for the last MANY years. Games missed is one of those reasons.

When he plays 2-3 FULL seasons, I'll change my tune.

Assuming he'll be injured and limited to 70 games every season is just as silly as assuming everything will go perfectly. You're calling those people delusional so what does that make you?

I earlier put the odds of him scoring 70 at about 15% - not likely to happen but definitely possible. If you think the chances are zero they hey, good for you but LOL at you calling other people delusional.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know 70 sounds like a fairytale but think about a perfect season where Matthews never gets injured, the powerplay is actually firing on all cylinders and Matthews decides he's out for blood.

It's entirely possible he could reach 70. Hell if he never gets injured this season and the powerplay isn't a DISASTER he could have almost 50 in 54 games.

I think its possible, and would really cement himself as the greatest goalscorer of this generation, who is the last 70 goal scorer anyways? Selanne?

I believe Selanne was indeed the last one to do it. Mario came close a few years later with 69 but I think that's it.

The more I think about it, the more I think he might be able to do it. If you asked me before the season started then I'd be more skeptical but what he's doing this season is ridiculous. Our division might have something to do with it, not exactly quality defensive teams he's facing but I still wouldn't want to bet a lot on him never being able to do it.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Assuming he'll be injured and limited to 70 games every season is just as silly as assuming everything will go perfectly. You're calling those people delusional so what does that make you?

I earlier put the odds of him scoring 70 at about 15% - not likely to happen but definitely possible. If you think the chances are zero they hey, good for you but LOL at you calling other people delusional.

I never said he'd only play 70 games a year for the rest of his career. I said that SO FAR, that's what he's been able to do. Maybe less.

You sure are a million laughs, aren't ya? Lighten up, Binky.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I never said he'd only play 70 games a year for the rest of his career. I said that SO FAR, that's what he's been able to do. Maybe less.

You sure are a million laughs, aren't ya? Lighten up, Binky.

You said a bunch of other stuff too. Nice deflection, twinky.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You said a bunch of other stuff too. Nice deflection, twinky.

Be that as it may, the odds are that he won't play many 82 game seasons. So far, his history has shown otherwise.

I DO think he could hit 55 though, if most everything goes really well.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It would be unbelievable, but it's unlikely. I think he might fall just short a couple of times though if he has some healthy seasons in the next 3 years. So much has to go perfect for it to happen...

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Mogilny and Selanne scored 76 in 1993

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2