Will Matthews hit 70 goals in a season in his career?

Will Matthews have a 70G season in his career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Matthews has 9 goals in 8 games vs Ottawa and 9 goals in 9 games vs Van City this year in the Scotia North Div.

That's 18 of his 40 goals and almost 1/2 this year production against only 2 non playoff teams. That's an 87 goal pace on a full season just for context.

Unfortunately your analysis over the last 83 games production together, overlaps the last 49 of this season [=~60%] that is badly skewed and tainted by the above factor I quoted, on this 1 year anomaly.

So for future forecasting and predicting the sample set of this year really shouldn't be the bases as we know beginning next year there will be no more all Canadian Div and only playing 6 different teams in a regular season.
tell me his career numbers against Detroit and Buffalo :) go ahead I'll wait

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Most great players peak right about now -- between 22-25 years of age at the outside.

I think Matthews could score 70, but if so it should happen soon.

Unlikey if he hasn't done it by age 25.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nah, don't be expecting that. A season like that, the stars would have to align in SPADES. The biggest factor is mainly the powerplay. I think he's good for 50-55 goals consistently every year and peak years flirting with or hitting 60 but for 70 to be even fathomed, you need your powerplay firing well for most of the season and Matthews has to be the main trigger man on the PP. If you watch Ovie's 65 goal season or Stamkos' 60 goal season, a lot of their goals came from their one timers on the PP. Matthews can rip it now from a one timer but he needs the proper set up. I would have Nylander or Marner on the opposite side half wall to threaten the one time pass or put Matthews on the right point area to threaten it. Dually, he has great puck protection so keeping the puck in would be easier.

Reactions: TopCheese

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Imagine a season where the PP isn't a wreck, some puck luck instead of hitting posts they go in. 82 games. At first it seems crazy but part of me thinks it is possible if everything were to go right.
To do that, he would need 30 goals in 32 games if this was a full season (I'm not figuring this out if he wasn't injured). That's pretty dfficult.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
LOL. You thread title is "Will Matthews hit 70 goals in a season in his career".

Then you followed that up with comments like "Matthews has the consistency to his game to do it." and "You'd have to think a 70 goal season would require the same consistency and no missed games or cold streaks."

So..............YOU.
lol well I voted no, so you’re wrong. And nobody ever said they expect him to do it. Nice try though.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Most great players peak right about now -- between 22-25 years of age at the outside.

I think Matthews could score 70, but if so it should happen soon.

Unlikey if he hasn't done it by age 25.
I'd argue its 25-28 ...you are still a child and dont have 'man' strength yet in your early 20's
players usually start to explode in season 5 except select exceptional players, but, look at MacKinnon for example, nothing special till season 5 ...Marchand was meh until season 7, Even Yzerman exploded in season's 5-6-7 ...he was very good before that, but, thats about the age you grow into your adult strength and learn how to use your body

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Does it matter anymore?

If he scores 70 next season, and then sees his production and play fail to live up to his standards and abilities in the post season for six straight years, will anyone care?

Jun 27, 2005
I'd argue its 25-28 ...you are still a child and dont have 'man' strength yet in your early 20's
players usually start to explode in season 5 except select exceptional players, but, look at MacKinnon for example, nothing special till season 5 ...Marchand was meh until season 7, Even Yzerman exploded in season's 5-6-7 ...he was very good before that, but, thats about the age you grow into your adult strength and learn how to use your body

Everyone is different but the best of the best seem to peak early.

Orr peaked at 22
Gretzky peaked at 23/24
Mario was out a lot but had his peak points at 23
Crosby was probably peaking when he got his injuries at 23/24
Ovi peaked around 22-24
Jagr peaked at 23

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Matthews is a bum. All his goals are because of my so… Mitch Marner. He should be getting 22 mil a year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I just want him to score some goals in the playoffs……who cares about his personal stats

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
With his milestone 40th goal last night in his 49th game this season, he is pacing a 67 goal season over 82 games. This was done with an obvious wrist issue at play where he had to miss a few games because of it.

I'm not oblivious to the factors at play here. The North is a different beast than a normal 82 game schedule. How different is up for debate but only speculation, but this poll is more of a fun poll to see what everyone thinks.

But Matthews has the consistency to his game to do it. He's only 23, won't be 24 until September. He's still got a long career and a lot of hockey in front of him. Can he improve on what he's done? History would suggest he's still a few years from entering his prime.

You'd have to think a 70 goal season would require the same consistency and no missed games or cold streaks.

What do you think?

Goal pace per season:
16-17: 40
17-18: 45
18-19: 45
19-20: 55
20-21: 67
Maybe he needs to learn how to score post regular season goals more than padding his regular season numbers? Asking for a friend.......

Reactions: Racer88

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Love Matthews and think he’ll keep doing great things.

Only thing I wonder about with him is if he’s not very good when he has time but limited space. Feels to me like space is the thing he needs more than anything to be super dangerous. Doesn’t need the time normal people do, but if you take away his ability to move around he gets a bit neutered, hence not so hot PP and playoff stats (compared to his crazy 5v5 numbers).

Maybe that’s a bad take, open to it being wrong, but it feels like OV is particularly deadly at a standstill on the PP whereas that isn’t as much where Matthews high danger chances come from, though of course with his shot he’s always more dangerous than your average bear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad