Will Matthews hit 70 goals in a season in his career?

Will Matthews have a 70G season in his career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
With his milestone 40th goal last night in his 49th game this season, he is pacing a 67 goal season over 82 games. This was done with an obvious wrist issue at play where he had to miss a few games because of it.

I'm not oblivious to the factors at play here. The North is a different beast than a normal 82 game schedule. How different is up for debate but only speculation, but this poll is more of a fun poll to see what everyone thinks.

But Matthews has the consistency to his game to do it. He's only 23, won't be 24 until September. He's still got a long career and a lot of hockey in front of him. Can he improve on what he's done? History would suggest he's still a few years from entering his prime.

You'd have to think a 70 goal season would require the same consistency and no missed games or cold streaks.

What do you think?

Goal pace per season:
16-17: 40
17-18: 45
18-19: 45
19-20: 55
20-21: 67

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
No doubt in my mind that he’ll do it

Take out those 10 or so games he’s played with a severely injured wrist and he’s literally a goal per game player

Even if you include those games, he’s pacing for 67 goals over a full season. You know when he’s that close to 70 he’s going to make sure he gets it.

Most complete goal scorer I think I’ve ever seen

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Definitely if they play 82 games vs the Habs. Seriously, it would be great but I would not bet on anybody scoring 70 goals in a "normal" 82 game season, especially if your PP is a wreck.
Imagine a season where the PP isn't a wreck, some puck luck instead of hitting posts they go in. 82 games. At first it seems crazy but part of me thinks it is possible if everything were to go right.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Imagine a season where the PP isn't a wreck, some puck luck instead of hitting posts they go in. 82 games. At first it seems crazy but part of me thinks it is possible if everything were to go right.

Sure anything is possible (add a few empty netters) but I would not bet on it. These are the Leafs afterall ;)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He was close this year (66g pace)on a bum wrist. He’s the Rocket winner this year regardless. Yeahhhh Papi.

I say yes if He and Marner are healthy the entire year.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
It's very difficult. He has to be healthy all year, which he has never done. And he has to any avoid slumps which he has never done. And the PP has to be more effective.

This year despite health issues, slumps and the PP, he's on pace to nearly 60 goals in 82 games (40 in 53), so if somehow he doesn't have wrist injuries and he stays hot over 80 games and is able to score on the PP, 10 more goals for 70 could happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This QofC of the Northern all Canadian Div and playing only 6 different teams is a regular season is the data set for his 40 goals in 49 games. Heck I thought he had a chance to score 50 this year.

When you play the entire NHL however, I would expect his goal scoring to differ based on better level of competition.

I have no doubt that Auston will toss up several 50-60 goal seasons throughout his career, as one of the NHL's best goal scorers.

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Increased in TOI after Babcock's departure has demonstrated that AM can score at 55-60 goal pace (even before this COVID format). IMHO, the area that needs improvement to put him at the next level are the following:

• Power Play opportunities are at the top half of the league
  • Power Play proficiency is at top 5-10
  • Health and injury free season

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Pretty confident he'll do it in the next 2 years if he stays healthy. If not for the wrist injury this year, he'd have easily paced over 70/82.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Yes he can, but he'll need 2 things:
- A full healthy season
- Uptick in PP goals

Total Goals since entering the league:
1 - Ovechkin (205 in 357)
2 - Matthews (198 in 331)
3 - McDavid (177 in 358)

ES Goals
1 - Matthews (151)
2 - McDavid (137)
3 - Ovechkin (131)

PP Goals
1 - Ovechkin (74)
2 - Pastrnak (66)
6 - Hoffman (56)
7 - Zibanejad (54)
8 - Rantanen (48)
9 - Matthews (47)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's very difficult. He has to be healthy all year, which he has never done. And he has to any avoid slumps which he has never done. And the PP has to be more effective.

This year despite health issues, slumps and the PP, he's on pace to nearly 60 goals in 82 games (40 in 53), so if somehow he doesn't have wrist injuries and he stays hot over 80 games and is able to score on the PP, 10 more goals for 70 could happen.

Yup, a lot of things have to go just right for it to happen. So definitely possible but hard to handicap. Off the top of my head I'd say less than 50% odds, maybe 15% or thereabouts?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Matthews can finally start converting his two goal games into hatty with empty netters it is doable. Also, if Leafs PP is not a JOKE it is doable.

Matthews' even strength goal scoring pace is unreal. It is his PP production that has hit us. I blame Malhotra, Marner and Rielly for their STUPIDITY

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He’s only played 49 games. 66 goal pace actually.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
No and I'm literally his biggest fan and think he is the best goal scorer in the world right now.

There is something to be said about playing in the North this year. Pushing out nearly a goal a game pace over a full 82 is not realistic.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Lets try to keep him healthy and have him hit 50 on an annual basis first. I believe the 70 goal seasons are a thing of the past, cannot happen in today's NHL with goalies equipment and all. But I can definitely see him as 50 goal a season player flirting with close to 60 a couple of times.

He would have easily eclipsed 55 goals this season if we played a full 82 game schedule.

I see Matthews if all health holds up, plays rest of career with Marner, he will be a top 5 NHL goals scored for his career.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Matthews can finally start converting his two goal games into hatty with empty netters it is doable. Also, if Leafs PP is not a JOKE it is doable.

Matthews' even strength goal scoring pace is unreal. It is his PP production that has hit us. I blame Malhotra, Marner and Rielly for their STUPIDITY

Its become like he’s a lost child roaming around aimlessly on the power-play now. Nobody attacks the netside from the goal line on the power-play on this team. Cross crease passes are available and they do not use it.

If they do it it draws everyone back and gives our points more time and space. It’s there decision to remain stagnant. It’s a rotten stagnant mess.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
With his milestone 40th goal last night in his 49th game this season, he is pacing a 67 goal season over 82 games. This was done with an obvious wrist issue at play where he had to miss a few games because of it.

I'm not oblivious to the factors at play here. The North is a different beast than a normal 82 game schedule. How different is up for debate but only speculation, but this poll is more of a fun poll to see what everyone thinks.

But Matthews has the consistency to his game to do it. He's only 23, won't be 24 until September. He's still got a long career and a lot of hockey in front of him. Can he improve on what he's done? History would suggest he's still a few years from entering his prime.

You'd have to think a 70 goal season would require the same consistency and no missed games or cold streaks.

What do you think?

Goal pace per season:
16-17: 40
17-18: 45
18-19: 45
19-20: 55
20-21: 67

No. He's amazing but that's just not happening.

If we acknowledge that his "pace" has made him good for 67 goals, etc...........then we also have to acknowledge that he'll likely miss 10-15 games a year, as he has most years(for whatever reason) so far. Therefore, playing in just 70 games or so, 70 goals will elude him.

The kid is frigging unreal, and we're super lucky to have him. I'm MORE than happy with 40+ goal seasons.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Said yes cause it would be a lot of fun to watch and why not believe in something ridiculous?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->