Player Discussion Will Lockwood

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Assuming that Hughes will need to be protected under the 7+3+1 scenario,having Lockwood exposed and possibly taken by Seattle will mean we'll be able to keep both Hutton and Stetcher assuming that Edler and Tanev get NMC's in their new contracts.Much easier to replace a winger than a D-man,IMO.

However,looking at our current forward depth and contracts,we might be better off going with protecting 8 skaters (4 forwards+4 defensemen) as we only have 4 forwards really worth protecting and the rest are worth less than Hutton or Stetcher would be to other teams.

I see no great harm in exposing Lockwood either. He's not projected to be the kind of player that you care about losing compared to the other exposed players, he projects to be on their level so the net loss will be the same. If he turns into something great, expose some other mediocre forward, we have 7 slots.

I can see him wanting to go back to college for UFA status but only if the Canucks aren't going to sign him until the off season. At that point the advantages of waiting are about as good as signing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He is outta here.
Too bad, i think he will be a player, a great middle 6er fiesty guy who can sometimes pop in 20 games. What a waste of that pick but didnt know at the time hed jet

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dang, wasnt expecting any issues with Locky on this :(
It's a no brainer for Hughes, as he's the 7th pick in the draft. Lockwood is the type of guy who needs some AHL seasoning. He has to decide when is the best time for him to do that. This was his first full healthy season in college. But, this was his Junior year. He can opt to sign in 3-5 days and it wouldn't make a difference. He just needs to play 1 game to burn his ELC.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's a no brainer for Hughes, as he's the 7th pick in the draft. Lockwood is the type of guy who needs some AHL seasoning. He has to decide when is the best time for him to do that. This was his first full healthy season in college. But, this was his Junior year. He can opt to sign in 3-5 days and it wouldn't make a difference. He just needs to play 1 game to burn his ELC.

I see no reason to panic either, there is plenty of time. He is likely talking to his agent, weighing up the best way to get money, finishing some more of his studies, calculating the risk of bad year next year vs the rewards of good year vs signing guaranteed money now.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I think Lockwood would be silly to pass on a contract right now. I don't think he is all that special and he could likely convince Benning to play him in the NHL this year.

I wonder if this is just posturing for negotiations?

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I only really want to see him signed to an ATO and sent to Utica for the rest of the season as I think he’ll need a year or two there. To me he projects as something akin to Motte, maybe slightly higher upside. Useful player to have coming into the bottom 6 on cheap contracts, but not a core piece.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I having a fearing he’ll get his ELC and burns a year of too instead of an ATO
Reason? Well Quinn just got his and we all know JB is a terrible negotiator

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hope he stays in the ahl one more year and kills it. Then still signs in vancouver.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There's still no word on Lockwood's plans, at least not that I can find. I wonder if the hold up is that the Canucks are trying to get him to go straight to Utica on an ATO or something like that, to keep the number of contracts down so that they can still pursue another couple of free agents. Is that plausible?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Lockwood plays a game he’s eligible for the expansion draft. So it’s more than just burning an elc year for him.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
There's still no word on Lockwood's plans, at least not that I can find. I wonder if the hold up is that the Canucks are trying to get him to go straight to Utica on an ATO or something like that, to keep the number of contracts down so that they can still pursue another couple of free agents. Is that plausible?
That’s what should happen when a player isn’t nhl ready... most teams are doing that...however Benning thinks inside the box...

I’m guessing he signs an nhl contract and finishes with the Cancuks are goes back to school...

I would like to see him play the season in the AHL next year.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
That’s what should happen when a player isn’t nhl ready... most teams are doing that...however Benning thinks inside the box...

I’m guessing he signs an nhl contract and finishes with the Cancuks are goes back to school...

I would like to see him play the season in the AHL next year.
With the Utica mess, I hope he stays in college. He still can learn and improve at that level.

Reactions: lousy

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he goes back to school and has a fantastic year then I don't see why he wouldn't just wait until Aug 15 and sign with the highest bidder/major US city.

Reactions: DomY

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
If he hasn’t signed yet and there isn’t any smoke in the media about it, I’d be surprised if he signs.

It could be a matter of contract slots, and the Canucks waiting for the remaining college teams to finish their season. Like others have said, there's no appetite to expose him to the expansion draft which signing him would. You guys who would have had Benning's head on a stick for playing Q. Hughes more than 10 games should be equally mad if they play Lockwood more than one.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
If Lockwood plays a game he’s eligible for the expansion draft. So it’s more than just burning an elc year for him.

I'm not familiar with expansion eligibility, but can you show how he is eligible for the expansion draft for just playing a game (assuming this season)?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not familiar with expansion eligibility, but can you show how he is eligible for the expansion draft for just playing a game (assuming this season)?
For the Vegas ED, Andrew Copp of the Winnipeg Jets had to be protected. He played 1 game with the jets in 14-15 season after playing for Michigan for 3 seasons. He was the same as Lockwood, both Pre September birthdays and doing 3 years in college. Copp played pros in 15-16 and 16-17 but ended up eligible for the ED because he played that 1 game.

Their contracts can’t slide if they play in the nhl right after leaving college.

It’s not the end of the world for the Canucks given their lack of forward quality to protect at the current moment.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
For the Vegas ED, Andrew Copp of the Winnipeg Jets had to be protected. He played 1 game with the jets in 14-15 season after playing for Michigan for 3 seasons. He was the same as Lockwood, both Pre September birthdays and doing 3 years in college. Copp played pros in 15-16 and 16-17 but ended up eligible for the ED because he played that 1 game.

Their contracts can’t slide if they play in the nhl right after leaving college.

It’s not the end of the world for the Canucks given their lack of forward quality to protect at the current moment.
Why is the Hughes situation different? Does it have to do with age?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It could be a matter of contract slots, and the Canucks waiting for the remaining college teams to finish their season. Like others have said, there's no appetite to expose him to the expansion draft which signing him would. You guys who would have had Benning's head on a stick for playing Q. Hughes more than 10 games should be equally mad if they play Lockwood more than one.

Different metric. Right now if we knew we could have Lockwood as our expansion draft loss we would be very happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad