Player Discussion Will Lockwood

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
What team are you cheering for? What team are you hoping to be better? Why are you here?

Why would he come to this dumpster fire of an organization when he is only a year away from going somewhere else? I've been a fan since before the Canucks were in the NHL and save for a few periods of time have been a hopeless franchise.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Why would he come to this dumpster fire of an organization when he is only a year away from going somewhere else? I've been a fan since before the Canucks were in the NHL and save for a few periods of time have been a hopeless franchise.

I predict that Lockwood will play either with the Comets or the Canucks within the week. What's your prediction?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Very curious to see what we have in this player. It's tough to tell sometimes how a player's game is going to translate to the NHL.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Hope he signs an ATO for this season with Utica,they need help in a bad way if they want to make the playoffs so he should get plenty of ice time there.
Nucks already have a couple of surplus forwards in Granlund,Schaller and Spooner who would likely slot in ahead of him so he'd likely be watching and eating popcorn if he signs his ELC right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

member 290103

Why would Lockwood sign? So he can go to Utica and sit in the stands for a year?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Thats too bad, thought he would be a Canuck FOR SURE as he grew up in Michigan or some place like that but loved the Sedins and Canucks and was excited we drafted him

Rats

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If I'm Lockwood's agent, I would tell him to sign. U of M isn't going to win the championship next season. Quinn is gone and Jack isn't joining the team. Lockwood has produced well offensively but he's not projected as a top 6 player. He's unlikely to put together the type of senior season that would get him max bonuses from an NHL team, not to mention being a lock to play in the NHL. There are certainly opportunities to be had with the Canucks. Tyler Motte isn't going to be a Canuck forever.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Are Benning and the Canuck's media fawning all over Lockwood like Hughes? I don't see the Lockwood prayers like those of Hughes. I'm sure if the Canucks interests are causing them to be reaching out to him at the moment it might have a big influence on his decision. The guy has progressed well as NCAA players go. The Canucks have done well with a lot of them. Letting a highly regarded one slip away so easily seems stupid. This Guy isn't Griffen Molino and he got a contract and a year burned off his ELC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I'm Lockwood's agent, I would tell him to sign. U of M isn't going to win the championship next season. Quinn is gone and Jack isn't joining the team. Lockwood has produced well offensively but he's not projected as a top 6 player. He's unlikely to put together the type of senior season that would get him max bonuses from an NHL team, not to mention being a lock to play in the NHL. There are certainly opportunities to be had with the Canucks. Tyler Motte isn't going to be a Canuck forever.

Financially, there is no benefit because of the ELC contract. From a pure competition POV, he'll be a senior meaning that the majority of players he'll be up against are going to be younger than him. Need to challenge yourself if you believe that you have a pro career ahead of you.

It's a leverage play to see if he can burn his ELC year. I believe due to his age vs Hughes, if he plays it makes him ED eligible.

The Jets protected Andrew Copp who has a July Birthday (1994) vs Will Lockwood's June birthday (1998) back in the Vegas ED. Copp signed after his junior season and played 1 game in the 14-15 season, in the year he turned 21. Lockwood will turn 21 this year as well, so if he plays he's exactly the same as Copp. Only difference between the 2 guys is that Copp was drafted in the year he turned 19 in 2013 while Lockwood was drafted in 2016 when he turned 18. But, I don't think that's a difference maker since the NHL usually goes by the Sept 15 cutoff.

Winnipeg Jets Protection List Released

Up front right now its Bo/Brock/Petey/Gaudette that I would say are the locks to be protected. Still have 3 spots. Lind and Gadjovich slide, so they are exempt. Just traded Dahlen who would have been eligible.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Financially, there is no benefit because of the ELC contract. From a pure competition POV, he'll be a senior meaning that the majority of players he'll be up against are going to be younger than him. Need to challenge yourself if you believe that you have a pro career ahead of you.

It's a leverage play to see if he can burn his ELC year. I believe due to his age vs Hughes, if he plays it makes him ED eligible.

The Jets protected Andrew Copp who has a July Birthday (1994) vs Will Lockwood's June birthday (1998) back in the Vegas ED. Copp signed after his junior season and played 1 game in the 14-15 season, in the year he turned 21. Lockwood will turn 21 this year as well, so if he plays he's exactly the same as Copp. Only difference between the 2 guys is that Copp was drafted in the year he turned 19 in 2013 while Lockwood was drafted in 2016 when he turned 18. But, I don't think that's a difference maker since the NHL usually goes by the Sept 15 cutoff.

Winnipeg Jets Protection List Released

Up front right now its Bo/Brock/Petey/Gaudette that I would say are the locks to be protected. Still have 3 spots. Lind and Gadjovich slide, so they are exempt. Just traded Dahlen who would have been eligible.

Assuming that Hughes will need to be protected under the 7+3+1 scenario,having Lockwood exposed and possibly taken by Seattle will mean we'll be able to keep both Hutton and Stetcher assuming that Edler and Tanev get NMC's in their new contracts.Much easier to replace a winger than a D-man,IMO.

However,looking at our current forward depth and contracts,we might be better off going with protecting 8 skaters (4 forwards+4 defensemen) as we only have 4 forwards really worth protecting and the rest are worth less than Hutton or Stetcher would be to other teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Assuming that Hughes will need to be protected under the 7+3+1 scenario,having Lockwood exposed and possibly taken by Seattle will mean we'll be able to keep both Hutton and Stetcher assuming that Edler and Tanev get NMC's in their new contracts.Much easier to replace a winger than a D-man,IMO.

However,looking at our current forward depth and contracts,we might be better off going with protecting 8 skaters (4 forwards+4 defensemen) as we only have 4 forwards really worth protecting and the rest are worth less than Hutton or Stetcher would be to other teams.
That's why the Canucks need to hold firm on the Elder NMC for that 3rd year. Juolevi is also eligible. Hutton, I don't see him getting ED protection on his next deal, same with Stecher. So, comes down to how they are performing at the time. No chance they burn Hughes exemption status. They made sure to scratch Motte enough at the end last year to make him waiver exempt this season.

There's not point in getting Lockwood for really 2 years and then exposing him in an ED. Need to think big picture here.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
That's why the Canucks need to hold firm on the Elder NMC for that 3rd year. Juolevi is also eligible. Hutton, I don't see him getting ED protection on his next deal, same with Stecher. So, comes down to how they are performing at the time. No chance they burn Hughes exemption status. They made sure to scratch Motte enough at the end last year to make him waiver exempt this season.

There's not point in getting Lockwood for really 2 years and then exposing him in an ED. Need to think big picture here.

My point was that Lockwood could be a sort of sacrificial lamb to keep Seattle from poaching our thin (and often injured) D-corps and hurting what little depth we have back there.We have more depth up front especially now with Leivo,Spooner,and possibly MacEwan in the mix as middle sixers.Unlike the Vegas ED,we will have some decent young players that will need to be exposed like Hutton,Stetcher and Juolevi and personally,I'd rather lose a bottom 6 winger than one of them.That is unless Lockwood blows up and has a huge rookie season and has to be protected but I'm expecting him to be a Tyler Motte level player in the NHL who won't really need ED protection.

I posted earlier in this thread that the best case scenario is to sign Lockwood to an ATO for Utica then sign him to his ELC after the season ends which would avoid the need for him to be exposed at all and would get him the most ice time this season.

Regarding Edler,I doubt he would sign a contract without a NMC as he's made it clear that wants to stay in Vancouver for the duration of his career and Benning will respect that,for better or worse.Best case scenario is to sign him to a one year deal with a handshake agreement for another contract after the ED but hard to say if Edler's camp would agree to that.I fully expect a three year deal with a NMC so Edler will require a protection spot.

I hope you're right about them not playing Hughes and using up his exemption.With our luck,we'll be hit with a bunch of injuries and be forced to play him the rest of the season just to ice 6 D-men.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dang, wasnt expecting any issues with Locky on this :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad