NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Look at the major injuries that took place during the Finals, and you think he's going to leave money and term on the table for a shorter deal?

I can't imagine his agent would advise that

There are always going to be major injuries. After the success of load management and the team overall this year I don't see why he would not explore a short term deal. He will get his money in it and he gets to stay on a contender in a conference that should not be too hard next year.

If it does not work out with the Raps he can go and sign another big one down south.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There are always going to be major injuries. After the success of load management and the team overall this year I don't see why he would not explore a short term deal. He will get his money in it and he gets to stay on a contender in a conference that should not be too hard next year.

If it does not work out with the Raps he can go and sign another big one down south.

Do you think load management would've prevented Thompson's injury?

The fact is, players are always just one play away from suffering a career-altering injury

There's not much incentive to risk 100+ million in guaranteed income

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Do you think load management would've prevented Thompson's injury?

The fact is, players are always just one play away from suffering a career-altering injury

There's not much incentive to risk 100+ million in guaranteed income

Can't argue with the bolded. Players also cannot play in constant fear of having a career ending injury at any point.

I have been saying from the start that I think Kawhi will stay and I still do. He loves hooping and Toronto has proven to be a great place to do it. Why leave for the point of winning when you are already a part of a sure fire thing?

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I don't see why Kawhi can' sign a similar deal to what Durant was going to be offered by GS. Super max with the option to leave when he wants.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I think he stays at this point on a shorter deal and tries to go for another title next year. If he does leave, who cares? He is a Raptor/City of Toronto Legend and will be for ever! No hard feelings if leaves.

At this point, I would be more worried about Ujiri leaving for Wash than Kawhi.

Kawhi ; the only man to give another country a NBA title, break the Drake curse while ending GS dynasty:laugh:.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Washington ha
At this point, I would be more worried about Ujiri leaving for Wash than Kawhi.

Kawhi ; the only man to give another country a NBA title, break the Drake curse while ending GS dynasty:laugh:.
Washington has no intent of making Ujiri an offer..

Reactions: LDN

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't see why Kawhi can' sign a similar deal to what Durant was going to be offered by GS. Super max with the option to leave when he wants.
Yup.. Give him the option of opting out each year. His $ is then guaranteed and he can bolt when things go south.

Durant has 10+ years in the NBA so his max contract is 5 years, $221M. Kawhi falls into the 7-9 years bracket so his max is 5 years, $190M.

You also can't have an opt out after each year and leave whenever you want. Player options are only allowed for the last year of the contract. So if Kawhi wanted the option of opting out every year then he can only sign for two years.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

giphy.gif

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kawhi is very comfortable with his teammates, the coaching staff, and in particular, the Raptors Sports Science staff.

The organization has handled his situation absolutely perfectly since day one. If he leaves, it will be an emotionally driven decision to be close to his family, and no one can fault him for that.

I think it's a toss up between the Raps and the Clippers.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I voted no sometime early in the playoffs.

Now that they won, I'd say I'm leaning closer to Kawhi staying... but still could easily see him leaving since he has always seemed intent on being able to pick where he plays long term.

I hope he picks to stay with Toronto though.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'd say there's a higher chance since they won the ring with him being the mvp.

Either way he should always be loved in that city.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think he'll leave but wouldn't be shocked if he signs a max deal but with an opt out after 1st year. That way he can see what happens with Lowry and Gasol.

Reactions: Ivan13
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think he'll leave but wouldn't be shocked if he signs a max deal but with an opt out after 1st year. That way he can see what happens with Lowry and Gasol.

Theres also an incentive to play under a new contract for two more years and then opt out after 10 years of service time, his max salaries would go up quite a bit.

I do wonder if this AD trade also influences him in a strong way.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Good to see you are more "plugged in" than Adrian Wojnarowski who reported that. Considering he is the biggest "insider" in the NBA.

He doesn't have to be. Other reporters already refuted it.

Someone in the Raptors organization must have kissed Woj's mom or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: my name is Bob

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Kawhi is very comfortable with his teammates, the coaching staff, and in particular, the Raptors Sports Science staff.

The organization has handled his situation absolutely perfectly since day one. If he leaves, it will be an emotionally driven decision to be close to his family, and no one can fault him for that.

I think it's a toss up between the Raps and the Clippers.

Yeah same.
If he leaves, well it was well worth it and got us the championship.
If his decision is for family reasons in California, can't blame the guy for it.

The Clippers have two max contract slots, they can offer Kawhi the max if they want (...and I think they will anyways)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Kawhi leaves, it's almost certainly not for basketball reasons. Can't really get much better than what he has at this moment, with Toronto's roster, their coaching/medical staff, his load management, and the Eastern Conference being for the taking.

I think if he leaves, it's 100% family driven. And that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad