NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Just too many options for a UFA, so the chance of resigning are slim. The LA Clippers are doing better than expected and have reasons to better in the future. California dreaming will bring Leonard home.

Plus my rant about NBA officiating which is about the same the integrity as the WWE. Good teams, home teams and teams that the NBA want to win always get preference. An LA team with James....that's an easy path to the final eight or probably final four.

Reactions: Gecklund

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wouldn't be all that shocked if he does stay. Paul George was a lock to Lakers too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He seems to really like the city and while Lowry isnt getting any younger, Siakam has made a huge leap in his development, plus they have OG so there are some good young pieces. Ujiri is also one of the better execs in the league so Kawhi should be optimistic that the team will stay relevant.

He could always re-sign for 2 years w/ an option for a 3rd to see how it works out. Still could get a max deal after that.

Reactions: CPTN71

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He should stay. The West is a bloodbath. The path in the East is going to be much easier and the Raptors are already a good team with the proper pieces to complement Leonard's skillset.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Voight

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I really have no clue. I'd love him on the Lakers but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he stayed in Toronto, since it would mean he wouldn't sign with the Clippers and the Celtics wouldn't have it easy in the East.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm optimistic he stays at this point. The team is obviously in a win now situation and they have the young pieces to maintain that status for years to come even with some older players on the roster. He is going to get his money and has a great opportunity to win a championship, also staying would be a great look for him too (not that he really cares).

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That 13 million dollar house in California is nowhere near Los Angeles though. So it's moot. Of course i wouldn't expect someone who thinks Kan Griffey Jr isn't a hall of famer to use logic.

Back on topic; I have a feeling he does. If he sticks around he has the chance to be the face of not only an entire franchise, but basically an entire country. The Raptors are in a great spot to compete going forward as the only guy that could decline in the near future is Lowry.

He kinda strikes me as a Paul George. Tried to force his way out of what he deemed to be a crappy situation, ends up in a place he probably didn't want to go to, ends up actually liking the place and re-upping long term.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
It's moot?

Hahahahaha

He just spent 13 million dollars to be there half a year.....wait, I gotta catch my breath.

Last time I checked, there's four teams in Cali that he can pick and choose from. He got shipped to Canada as punishment, there's no way he's staying in a baby soft East when the real men all play in the West. Nobody wants a tainted championship on their resume.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's moot?

Hahahahaha

He just spent 13 million dollars to be there half a year.....wait, I gotta catch my breath.

Last time I checked, there's four teams in Cali that he can pick and choose from. He got shipped to Canada as punishment, there's no way he's staying in a baby soft East when the real men all play in the West. Nobody wants a tainted championship on their resume.

Yeah you're right, I mean why would be want a supposedly easier path to the NBA Finals, right? He should want his next team to have as difficult a time as possible to get that far. That's what's most important; not to make it to the Finals and win, but to get your ass kicked on the way there. :laugh:

That said, I'm still not expecting the Raps to breeze their way through the playoffs; they've got a big ol' playoff gorilla on their back with regards to early exits so there's obviously work to do. But bringing Kawhi in is an important step in correcting that issue; he's already a proven winner, same with Green.

If he bolts for the west coast this offseason, so be it; the Raptors will find some other way to compete in the East. But if he sticks around, maybe it'll send a message to the rest of the league that Toronto's worth a look.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Yes, because Lebron thought it would be fine to just stay in the butter soft East and coast to yet another finals. :D

Kawhi didn't spend 13 million dollars to stay in Canada. Anybody who doesn't think he's out the second the Raptors get eliminated is only fooling themselves.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I just can't picture him staying somewhere he didn't truly choose to begin with. Especially considering his personality and management team behavior.

WITH that said, I hope he stays. Toronto deserves a good deal out of this for having he kahunes to roll the dice.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Raps can give him a contract he seeks he'd be a fool not to re-sign. Raps have very good young team. Could be C's v Raps in the East for the foreseeable future.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It's moot?

Hahahahaha

You realize the 13 million dollar house is two hours from Staples centre, right? Unless you’re also suggesting he’ll commute 2 hours from San Diego?

Player buys house where he spends the offseason with his family. Shocking. He bought a house in Toronto, too. What does that mean?

A championship is tainted by beating arguably the greatest team ever assembled in the Golden State Warriors? Interesting perspective.

You should keep your hot takes limited to Lauri Markkanen, at least those were funny. It’s tough to wind people up when you’ve got all the facts wrong.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's moot?

Hahahahaha

(mod)

I guess that championship LeBron won in 2016 is tainted because he played in the East, even though he went through the statistically the greatest team in NBA history to win it, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->