Will habs ever be successful if they keep Price/Weber?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
What, realistically, do posters think Price and Weber could get in a trade?

Price is coming off a horrific season, Weber is coming off an ankle injury, and both have a contract that takes them to 2026.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Success with Price/Weber on the team? That depends on what you call success, first/second round playoff exits are best case scenario for this team.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Price is coming off a horrific season, Weber is coming off an ankle injury, and both have a contract that takes them to 2026.
Montreal will most likely have to retain on both and take a bad contract in return( i am ok up to 5 years).

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Habs fans have a tendency to focus on problems that don't really exist instead of on the ones which do. Price admittedly had a bad season and Weber was injured. However, when these two players are at their "normal", they are the least of our worries. What's keeping the Habs from winning isn't Price's contract or Weber's age. Price and Weber are, most of the time, two of the very few things about this team that are good.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Price- Noting. No one wants that contract. Hope either Seattle takes him, buy out comes with the new CBA or Arizona is willing to add more players to their contract graveyard.

Weber - Could probably get something. He is still a 1D. His cap is high but not that high in comparison to what most number 1's make not coming off bridge deals or ELC's. I think everyone expects him to not play for 1 Mill a year. Still won't be easy peasy to move but I think a team would bite to try and put themselves over the top.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think that's a weird way of looking. You look at teams with holes beyond the #1C however how many playoff teams or cup winners don't have a #1C or a #1A/#1B situation? I think it's very very small.

#1C alone isn't enough but a #1C, #1LW, #1D, #1G is a great place to start.

Although I will concede there is more than 1 way to make a good team so balance can be had but we don't have that either and aren't close.

I agree with you completely. What I'm pointing out is that the roster gaps on their own are symptomatic of the main problem, bad management.

Fix that first, then there is a chance at seeing the roster needs properly addressed in a sustainable way.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I agree with you completely. What I'm pointing out is that the roster gaps on their own are symptomatic of the main problem, bad management.

Fix that first, then there is a chance at seeing the roster needs properly addressed in a sustainable way.

I don't think that would be fixed but for the sake of discussion. MB gone, your top pick is in. What should he do? Who should he go after?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Most GM's would love to have Price/Weber............maybe the question should be, can MB build a team, that can have Price/Weber on it?
I see our GM as the problem, not Price/Weber.

There's 0 chance this team can be built into a contender while Price and Weber are still effective in their role vs salary.

They need to come up with two top line Cs and a top pairing LD in 3 years. That's not happening. They haven't addressed one in 6.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We got 5 years to figure it out. Imagine if the Jets felt like they couldn’t win with Byfuglien a few years ago? Think about their roster without him today?

Reactions: scrubadam

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Price and Weber are both excellent players in their own right, but in consideration of the big picture it's hard to see us being successful while they are here. Not because of their own contributions by any means, but due to contracts, management failings, and the realistic timeline that a proper rebuild will involve.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Probably not. But it’ll have nothing to do with them. The team is transitioning at the worst possible time for these players given their ages. I expect our desperate GM to do patchwork but it won’t result in anything you can call a success, unless you consider making the playoffs and maybe winning a round a successful season.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The only way Price and Weber win the Stanley Cup with the Habs is with John Tavares and Zadina is a + 50 points from the get go and a top UFA d-man sign with the Habs and Pacioretty is trade for a Young top 6 center or Poehling over achieve. It's a major long shot.

As soon as Tavares sign with an other team, you fire Bergevin , you trade Pacioretty, and you start listening offer for Price and Weber.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
First of all, if Price is has good as he was before this season. His contract isn't a problem.
Not with 3.9M to Shaw, 4.6M to Alzner and freaking 9M$ in dead cap space.

If he sucks as he did this year, then it's a terrible problem for the next 4 years.
Why 4 years? Cause in 4 years, it's time to negotiate a new CBA....and then everything changes and some get out of jail free card will be negotiate like last time.

We need C
We need PMD

And if everything is well during the season, you add a Stastny like the Jets did, or a McDonagh like Tampa did. I don't expect to have full perfect team in September.

The Habs have way too much wingers and there's some quality in there.
Will probably end up with around 13-14M of free Cap Space with only 1 contract to add
3rd overall pick + 4 second round pick

The way i see it, Bergevin has a lot of assets to fix the problems but i don't think he can do it.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Habs fans have a tendency to focus on problems that don't really exist instead of on the ones which do. Price admittedly had a bad season and Weber was injured. However, when these two players are at their "normal", they are the least of our worries. What's keeping the Habs from winning isn't Price's contract or Weber's age. Price and Weber are, most of the time, two of the very few things about this team that are good.

I never said Weber or Price are the problem in terms of talent or impact. I'm saying the window is closing with no reinforcements. Why are we holding onto them?

Let's fire MB, perfect. Now ask yourself, what should next GM do? Should he hope for a miracle C to appear? Should he rebuild?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
First of all, if Price is has good as he was before this season. His contract isn't a problem.

If he sucks as he did this year, then it's a terrible problem for the next 4 years.
Why 4 years? Cause in 4 years, it's time to negotiate a new CBA....and then everything changes and some get out of jail free card will be negotiate like last time.

We need C
We need PMD

And if everything is well during the season, you add a Stastny like the Jets did, or a McDonagh like Tampa did. I don't expect to have full perfect team in September.

Will probably end up with around 13-14M of free Cap Space with only 1 contract to add

The way i see it, Bergevin has a lot of assets to fix the problems but i don't think he can do it.

Shaw at breaker limit .. is ok but Alzner...........................................................................

Alzner will gave us a chance for Jack Hugues next draft

Reactions: Milhouse40

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
There's 0 chance this team can be built into a contender while Price and Weber are still effective in their role vs salary.

They need to come up with two top line Cs and a top pairing LD in 3 years. That's not happening. They haven't addressed one in 6.
They haven't addressed a 1C in 25 years.

Reactions: BLONG7

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

We need C
We need PMD

That's wishful thinking. The get out of jail free card is because of changes to the player's share of HRR.

I doubt the players go even more under this time, I don't see a big change.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That's wishful thinking. The get out of jail free card is because of changes to the player's share of HRR.

I doubt the players go even more under this time, I don't see a big change.

It's not only about that. Many teams feels the Cap should be tweek in order to give teams equals value in amount of money (Taxes). It would make sense in order to get even more parity. Some wants to renegotiate the rebuy process. Apparently even the league don't seems too happy about garbage contract exchange. (Like Ryan Clowe for example). It didn't help any teams to improve their products.

Many many things can happen.

Reactions: Laurentide

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's not only about that. Many teams feels the Cap should be tweek in order to give teams equals value in amount of money (Taxes). It would make sense in order to get even more parity. Some wants to renegotiate the rebuy process.
Many many things can happen.

It's ridiculous. As much as it can benefit us some teams don't spend to cap, should there be an adjustment for that?

Some teams don't sell as much merchandise either, do they get a pass?

At a certain point doing that is just helping teams like us, Toronto, NYR not only pay more for office staff but also get more players. It's unfair.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's ridiculous. As much as it can benefit us some teams don't spend to cap, should there be an adjustment for that?

Some teams don't sell as much merchandise either, do they get a pass?

At a certain point doing that is just helping teams like us, Toronto, NYR not only pay more for office staff but also get more players. It's unfair.

Do you think it's unfair that Tampa could locked Stamkos at 8,5M and that's like $10M for other teams to match?
Do you think it's unfair that if Montreal wants to hunt for Tavares they will have to give 2M$ more just to match the other offers?
Do you think it's unfair that Dallas offer was worth a lot more than MTL offer to Radulov even if (apparently) it was the same offer?

What is happening now is kind of unfair too.
If 10M is worth 10M for every teams, at least on the cap, then everybody got an equal chance at managing that cap and sign UFA's.

Reactions: Laurentide

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Do you think it's unfair that Tampa could locked Stamkos at 8,5M and that's like $10M for other teams to match?
Do you think it's unfair that if Montreal wants to hunt for Tavares they will have to give 2M$ more just to match the other offers?
Do you think it's unfair that Dallas offer was worth a lot more than MTL offer to Radulov even if (apparently) it was the same offer?

What is happening now is kind of unfair too.
If 10M is worth 10M for every teams, at least on the cap, then everybody got an equal chance at managing that cap and sign UFA's.

Do you think it's fair Stamkos would get more endorsement money in Canada than USA that wouldn't count against the cap?

One of Toronto's pitches was having the Canadian tire CEO there. it's that much money. Will that count on the cap too?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Watching Price this past season, he looked slow to me.

In comparison, watching guys like Fleury and Quick this playoffs, they should be good for years because they move so well in the net.

Price should be working to get himself in top shape. If not it could get ugly if he gets off to another slow start next season.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Big name FAs never work out well (seriously, go back the past decade and find the big FA signings of each summer...they're never worth their salary - the players aren't hungry anymore) and Montreal doesn't seem to have any young guys with skill coming up the pipeline looking to make a name for themselves. Doomed to first round exits at best for the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad