Will habs ever be successful if they keep Price/Weber?

campmolson19

Apr 30, 2009
The Pond
I think when it's all said and done, MB will go down as one of the worst GMs in history. Whatever he does this summer, will probably only set the team back. I'm really hoping he changes his philosophy. But, with Price and Weber tied up this long, and MB trying to save his job, any building for the future goes out the window. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss 3rd overall. I wonder if they say/said, "we'll take Svechnikov or Zadina, and move one."

It's all about timing, and Montreal couldn't have done it any worse when it came to the timing of all these decisions (PK/Weber justification-they're in "win now mode", MT firing, eventual MB firing)

Last edited:

OB5

May 2, 2015
To answer the headlined question:

Yes, they can win with them. They're great players who, at their peak, are among the league's best.

The issue is Bergevin filling u[p the cap and roster with players like Shaw and Alzner. they can both be replaced with players who make less than a million/season. It's all about how they compliment their stars, they've done a poor job at that thus far.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You seem to be confusing a bunch of things together.

1) People didn't think it's stupid to pay Weber because he's 32, they thinks it's completely stupid to have paid PK Subban, a younger and arguably better Dman, for him in the process.
Nobody would have had a problem if we signed Weber to an 8 year deal at 7M had we retained Subban.
The big problem is how we gave up a younger and arguably better asset.

2) People didn't mind re-signing Radulov because a) he was a very key component of our offense, and b) the idea is to add to the team, not substract. We already had issues scoring, we just traded our only blue chip prospect for Drouin, letting Radulov go at that point accomplishes jack crap. If we are trading away younger assets for older ones, well then commit all the way.

Radulov didn't get the Stars into the POs..correct. So ****ing what? The length of stupid arguments some people go to here is astonishing. Neither did Tyler Seguin or Jamie Benn, I guess having them wouldn't be good for us...:facepalm:

The biggest problem with Bergevin is and has always been his failure to seriously commit to any specific direction. Rebuild through draft? Well...not really...he mostly just kept his picks. Focus on development? Again...not really...terrible hires, nothing to really show for after 6 years. Focus on building the team through trades and free agents? Nope...mostly 1 year deals and low risk trades/signings, his two biggest trades Weber and Drouin, happened over the past 2 years only and could very easily end up being major fails.

So that's what people have a problem with. His complete lack of planning, vision, and structure.

Having a 32yo Weber, that could be totally fine, or it could be completely stupid, it all depends on the context. As it stands, it's ****ing stupid.
Hope this clears up your confusion.

I agree.

OB5

May 2, 2015
So trolling for views. :laugh: Eklund hasn’t predicted a rumour since 2011 when he had insiders with Philly.

This was a 3 day thing for Eklund.

He posted a teaser, then another teaser, then the actual rumor.

He's a hit monger, a clickbait artist, and makes money off of it like the best of em. I am guilty of indulging him because it's entertaining but the majority of what he posts is swill. Full of typos, lazy empty posts with zero substance. He's a joke.

And yet, he's a genius.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Yeah, sounds like you don't have much of an argument, so now you're resorting to a personal attack.
Sorry not meant as an attack. I just don’t know how else to explain that signing Radulov to a contract, in and of itself, was a good move. Maybe it’s because after a year he moved on. That was a blunder for sure.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With Fleury's play this year speaks well for Carey Price. MAF had some difficult years and turned it around, maybe Price can do same?
Fleury already won cups. He's played very well in the POs before and gone all the way.
Not the case for Price.
But honestly, I don't care how awesome any goalie is, nobody can pull miracles when Petry-Alzner is your top pair with Weber out and Phillip Danault is your top center. I mean...Holy f***ing Hell. How does a GM that expects to compete go in with so little depth at key positions.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad