Will Crosby ever win another Art Ross?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Tonight is a clear indicator of that too I bet. What time does McDavid’s team play again? Never mind...
Imagine that, great players can play on bad teams.

Did you know Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs until his 5th season, and 16/21 teams made it back then, what a bum.

Reactions: Future GOAT

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Philly still in regular season mode lol. That was horrendous. Buffalo beats them tonight 4-0

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Art Ross.... All fun and games. Sorry oiler fans.

Goals in garbage time, right?

For a fan of an all time great and stacked team you have to be one of the sorest winners I’ve ever come across.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If you consider he put up those points on a bad team with the worst powerplay in the league, you would realize how great of a season it is. You are under appreciating how good he was individually. Look at his ES stats, they are ridiculous. If McDavid plays 82 games, I don't see anyone putting up more points than him.
McDavid touches the puck more than anyone on Edmonton's PP, why shouldn't he take the blame for their low production?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Goals in garbage time, right?

For a fan of an all time great and stacked team you have to be one of the sorest winners I’ve ever come across.
Yup he just racked up a bunch of absoulute no effect Conn Smythe votes.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
It's really REALLY weird to see Edmonton fans criticizing Crosby for having a hat trick in the playoffs at the wrong time.

It needs to go: goal down by two, GTG, and GWG, and a natural hatty for it to count.

I mean, I'm sorry but you're seeing the Crosby that's playing full tilt this time of year. And he's better than anybody when doing it. McDavid will have his time.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
McDavid touches the puck more than anyone on Edmonton's PP, why shouldn't he take the blame for their low production?

Missing the point. It's not about the value of this past season it's about where he'll be moving forward as an Art Ross contender. He had no issues on the PP previously, so this looks like an outlier season there. The team also had few PPOs and he himself was far down the list of PPTOI. Those things are unlikely to continue. Yet, his underlying numbers suggest that his even strength production is fully sustainable. So when his PP numbers regress to the mean, likely next season, he could end up head and shoulders ahead of the pack. And he doesn't even need to be a top 5 player on the PP. Just repeating his '17 numbers this year would have put him at 115 this year, and considerably ahead of Giroux. A healthy McDavid should be extremely hard to beat for the Art Ross going forward and he should be seen as the heavy favourite

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
And McDavid just had his teammates pad him points on the regular season to win a pointless award. All his teammates want him to win the award. So instead of playing a good system, they pad his points to make him look like he's the best.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rather see him keep winning Conn Smythes than Art Rosses.

Let the regular season heroes have their regular season trophies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Missing the point. It's not about the value of this past season it's about where he'll be moving forward as an Art Ross contender. He had no issues on the PP previously, so this looks like an outlier season there. The team also had few PPOs and he himself was far down the list of PPTOI. Those things are unlikely to continue. Yet, his underlying numbers suggest that his even strength production is fully sustainable. So when his PP numbers regress to the mean, likely next season, he could end up head and shoulders ahead of the pack. And he doesn't even need to be a top 5 player on the PP. Just repeating his '17 numbers this year would have put him at 115 this year, and considerably ahead of Giroux. A healthy McDavid should be extremely hard to beat for the Art Ross going forward and he should be seen as the heavy favourite
McDavid was #82 in PP TOI/GP this year compared to 46 last year. Only a 5 second difference.

And I'm not sure why this would be an outlier; the Oilers have finished 18th, 5th, and 31st in PP% in his career. Difficult to determine what their actual ability level is at this point.

Last edited:

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Rather see him keep winning Conn Smythes than Art Rosses.
That's a very easy statement to make when he's only managed 2 Art Ross in his whole career.

Almost any other award would be easier for him to attain at this point.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
McDavid was #82 in PP TOI/GP this year compared to 46 last year. Not a big difference.

And I'm not sure why this would be an outlier; the Oilers have finished 18th, 5th, and 31st in PP% in his career. Difficult to determine what their actual ability level is at this point.

From 46 to 82 is dropping a lot of spots, and is also way behind the majority of Art Ross contenders. He will likely see more in the future.

And the Oilers PP was 5th last year, and the year before McDavid missed half the season. In the games he actually played, the PP was 27 for 134 or 20.1%, which would have put them 8th in the league over a full season. And McDavid was on pace for 26 PP points in '16, which would have placed him tied for 11th in the league, he put up 27 in '17, which tied him for 8th in the league, then put up 20 this year, despite PP points going up dramatically, leaving him tied for 62nd in the league. Not to mention, the Oilers shot a measly 8.93% on the PP this year, which is the worst since the Panthers in '14 shot 7.58%. Considering the Oilers shot 14.74% in '17 and 12.36% in '16, It's pretty clear that both the Oilers PP and McDavid's production on it, were outliers that are unlikely to continue.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's a very easy statement to make when he's only managed 2 Art Ross in his whole career.

Yeah, concussions cutting incredible seasons short do that.

I wonder if McDavid is immune to head shots? Hope he doesn't find out.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Herp derp context doesn’t matter let’s pretend he wasn’t the most offensively dominant player of the past decade cuz muh trophies.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah, concussions cutting incredible seasons short do that.

I wonder if McDavid is immune to head shots? Hope he doesn't find out.
Players actually seem to like and have respect for McDavid. I guess he hasn't done anything yet to piss people off, except for Pens fans by being better than their fave.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Players actually seem to like and have respect for McDavid. I guess he hasn't done anything yet to piss people off, except for Pens fans by being better than their fave.

And yet you spend your days in every Crosby thread.

I dont mind the debates about who is or who will be better , but anyone that tries to downplay Crosbys career by saying hes only won 2 ARTs (ignoring why) cant be taken seriously. Nobody wants to admit it, but when people are taking a look at his career stats ...they know he should have had at least 3-4 more. So technically you are right , he has only won two. And he doesnt get credit for the years he was injured. But to even use that as an argument and say he wouldnt have kept up that pace and probably lost anyways? Hard to take seriously.

Just like Pens fans shouldnt use the playoff achievements or lack of for McDavid to downplay him. Not his fault his GM belongs on HFboards instead of being paid by an NHL team.

How about letting things play out and appreciating both of these guys? Pens fans didnt start out disliking the kid..I remember alot of comments from people being excited theres finally a player entering the league who could be on Crosby's level. But when you start seeing a bunch of comments downplaying Crosby's career to claim McDavid is already better...opinions will obviously change.

Last edited:
Reactions: edog37

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And yet you spend your days in every Crosby thread.

I dont mind the debates about who is or who will be better , but anyone that tries to downplay Crosbys career by saying hes only won 2 ARTs (ignoring why) cant be taken seriously. Nobody wants to admit it, but when people are taking a look at his career stats ...they know he should have had at least 3-4 more. So technically you are right , he has only won two. And he doesnt get credit for the years he was injured. But to even use that as an argument and say he wouldnt have kept up that pace and probably lost anyways? Hard to take seriously.
At least 3-4 more ? Idk about that even if he kept up his pre neck injury pace that ruined him for a couple years he still had prime ovie and malkin at the same time

I guess if you give him malkins and then whatever year Benn won the Ross. Maybe he takes one of the sedins but they both won with a respectable over 100 point seasons. Maybe st Louis? Benns is pretty much the only year the Ross wasn't that impressive

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At least 3-4 more ? Idk about that even if he kept up his pre neck injury pace that ruined him for a couple years he still had prime ovie and malkin at the same time

I guess if you give him malkins and then whatever year Benn won the Ross

The ones he missed out on from that concussion. And Benn's year And St.Louis winning in 2012-13 with 60 points in 48 games. Crosby 56 points in 36 games.

Like I said, he missed time..those guys didnt. So he doesnt get credit for something he didnt get. Im just talking about people using the " only 2 art rosses" as an argument to claim he isnt as good as people say he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad