Will Crosby ever win another Art Ross?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Sure he's not having his typical Crosby season this year but he's only 30 years old. Other players have won the Art Ross at an older age than he is. Moreover, Crosby has shown us to never count him out.

Does he win another Art Ross before his career is over?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He might. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

What the hell is wrong with him this season BTW?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio

Such an elaborate post

I definitely wouldn’t count him out. He’s been “under the radar” even with averaging better than PPG.

Elite players like Crosby adjust and don’t stay complacent, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if he were to get back in the hart/art ross ( though I’d kinda hope not for obvious reasons when you look at the team I root for ).
A good example would be Ovi. He’s had a few seasons where he’s under produced at a clip of 30~ goals, but has bounced back to the goal scoring we’re used to.
There’s no reason Sid can’t revert back to his typical scoring totals. It’s just been Malkin’s team this season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Tough to tell based on this season. He's played a **** ton of hockey over the last 2-3 years.

His 5v5 on ice sh% is also stupid low at 5.69%. His previous career low? 8.17%

It's amazing to look at his puck luck this year vs his career.
Sidney Crosby - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

From 2007-2013 his on ice shooting percentage never dipped below 10% (though there were some shortened seasons in there), and it's been 8.2-9.8% in the last 4 years. So it's safe to say that this year is a bit of an outlier.

That said, one thing that's helping him from completely tanking this year is that his PP puck luck is at a career high, which pulls his on ice shooting percentage in all situations up to a reasonable 10.33% (2nd worst of his career; a few years back he had only 10.25%).

He's probably owed a few extra goals from Lady luck but that's probably about it.

I expect him to maintain his level of production the next couple of years before starting to fall off a bit. Should be good for 85-95 points with average puck luck, which should keep him close to the scoring leaders. He'll probably need a "lucky" year to win the Art Ross again, but he's certainly capable of producing 105+ points if he's running hot (just look at what MacKinnon is doing!).

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It's tough to say players who were older than 30 have won the AR when the whole age thing has changed in the league. Players north of 30 are starting to decline offensively.

I'll say no he doesn't win another. But I think he challenges for at least one more.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
My bet would be... NO.

He won't be getting better while his main competitors are likely to improve from now on, and improve fast.

33-34 is the usual cutoff age after which it becomes nearly impossible, and even 30, 31, 32 is not your common age of an Art Ross winner.

He still has a decent chance next year or the year after, but the young guns are hungry and good. Time ticks for them, not so much for Sid anymore. So I think no.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
He's had only two in his entire career (in nine healthy seasons) and is having the worst season of his career, showing expected decline in offensive production as he's hitting his 30s. He's no longer the best offensive player in the game. I'd say the chances are against him doing that but it is possible.

His puck luck has been below average this year though and he's better offensively relative to the league than his point totals indicate. Still top 3, at worst top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If I had to bet I’d put money on no purely becuase he’s getting to the age where production usually dips and there’s a ton of talent either in or entering their prime who can challenge for it.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
He's had only two in his entire career (in nine healthy seasons) and is having the worst season of his career, showing expected decline in offensive production as he's hitting his 30s. He's no longer the best offensive player in the game. I'd say the chances are against him doing that but it is possible.

Well, such a decline was definitely not expected. There must be something else going on. People don't get so much less productive just because of jumping over the 30 wall. He barely turned 30. It all starts there, yes, but does not happen overnight (for most).

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Well, such a decline was definitely not expected. There must be something else going on. People don't get so much less productive just because of jumping over the 30 wall. He barely turned 30. It all starts there, yes, but does not happen overnight (for most).
Crosby's ppg is actually right in line with what it has been since 2014. Last year was higher, but he also had much higher sh%. This year is higher scoring though so relative to the league he has declined.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Crosby's ppg is actually right in line with what it has been since 2014. Last year was higher, but he also had much higher sh%. This year is higher scoring though so relative to the league he has declined.

Yeah. Sid had a lot of puck luck last season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He might. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

What the hell is wrong with him this season BTW?

He's coasting? Taking it easy? Saving himself for playoffs? He did step up big time when he was truly needed this season.

He started out the year kinda slow. And the Pens weren't doing too hot either. Than around Dec/January he turned it on and had an absolutely monstrous run. Before Malkin even got going - I feel like it's more Sid who turned his team around with his play and he seemed well on his way to catching up to Scoring leaders...and then nothing, back to coasting. Looks like he put his foot off the gas again and went back to coasting (while Malkin has maintained his beastmode all along since he started).

So if one were stat-watching - you could say he's doing the minimum necessary to ensure his team gets in playoffs good, and is saving himself to have a monstrous playoffs as he wants to go for another cup/smythe.

Of course that may just be a way of trying to put a good spin on a bad season. It may just be that - a bad season, and maybe he keeps it up with a disappointing playoffs due to overall fatigue of past 3 years. I remember a lot of people felt Ovechkin was saving himself for playoffs last year too with a disappointing season, but instead of turning it on in the playoffs, he continued to disappoint with a very underwhelming performance.

So we'll see.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

That's another way to look at it. He's been stagnating for the past four years, but the guys around him (many of them) are getting better. He's getting left behind. The trend will be hard to reverse unless he puts a deliberate effort in winning these races.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Also just to refresh some peoples memory. A lot of guys called Ovechkin done after last year. Look at him now. There are someplayers who hav earned and deserve our benefit of the doubt. And Crosby is at the top of that list of players.

Ovechkin has been past his best for 8 years. Yeah, he put in more work during summer and it paid off, but he's not like his former self, never will be.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If you give Crosby, say, 15% chance to win it next year, and 10% chance to win it in each of the following three years, his chance to win it in the next four years would be 38%. And those are probably very generous percentages considering how overwhelming the field is versus a single player.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It's always possible with him but I think we're witnessing a changing of the guard, or at least the beginning of it. Laine is drawing even with Ovechkin and McDavid is drawing even with or has possibly surpassed Crosby (offensively).

Crosby in particular has a lot of mileage and opponents have always played hard against him, so we might see the accumulated wear and tear start to take its toll in the next 2-3 years.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
Ovechkin has been past his best for 8 years. Yeah, he put in more work during summer and it paid off, but he's not like his former self, never will be.
Just because player is past his peak doesn't mean he can' still put up some remarkable play. "Not like his former self" Ovechkin is also a player who has 3 50+ season in last 4 years with a realistic shot of making it 4 in last 5. The argument is not whether or not he can do better than his absolute peak anyway. But whether he can put up elite seasons still, which he can (as proven this year). And I'd argue same for Crosby.

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
Probably not, there are a lot of hungry young kids out there ready to score 90-100 points nowadays. But he very well may win another PPG Art Ross. He has 6 already. Well one was in a season where he's played only 22 games but with insane Marionesque PPG so I'll give him 5.5 PPG Art Rosses.

He always was in top-4 in terms of PPG except for a first season (7th) and this one (not even in top-10) so that's a shame. Ovechkin for example has 3 and Malkin surprisingly has none.

05/06
06/07
07/08
08/09
09/10
10/11
11/12
12/13
13/14
14/15
15/16
16/17
17/18
Crosby
7​
2​
3​
4​
1*
4​
2​
Ovechkin
6​
16​
8​
38​
5​
11​
8​
20​
29​
Malkin
19​
3​
2​
8​
37​
2​
14​
2​
7​
5​
3​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I feel like a lot of people think Crosby is some type of scoring machine, he really isn't. He is consistent. Will he win another Ross, probably not, just too many young players who are offensive machines.

That being said, he should get a crap ton of praise for winning that Richard last season against a non-injured Ovechkin, Matthews, Marchand and Tarasenko. :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad