Will Crosby ever win another Art Ross?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think the game is too fast for the more veteran guys (like Crosby now) to keep competing for the Art Ross. Also, how many players over the age of 28 have won the Art Ross in the last 10 years?

More 28+ players have won the Art Ross than under 25 in NHL history, by far.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
It’s funny that some of you think Crosby cares if he wins another Art Ross.

He’s done it all and probably only cares about Stanley Cups/Worlds/Olympic Gold.

McDavid will have a solid career. But if all he ever does is win the Art Ross, you will hear straight from the horses mouth how disappointing that would be for him.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think the game is too fast for the more veteran guys (like Crosby now) to keep competing for the Art Ross. Also, how many players over the age of 28 have won the Art Ross in the last 10 years?

MSL age 37
D Sedin age 30
H Sedin age 29

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

He’s done it all and probably only cares about Stanley Cups/Worlds/Olympic Gold.

McDavid will have a solid career. But if all he ever does is win the Art Ross, you will hear straight from the horses mouth how disappointing that would be for him.

Do you and Crosby share the same brain? How do you know what he thinks?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think this is the last year before the young bucks take over. From here on out you are going to see Mackinnon, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, take over. It will be hard to win a art ross

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Do you and Crosby share the same brain? How do you know what he thinks?

He’s stated it many times in countless interviews that while the individual awards are nice, the only thing on his mind is succeeding with his team.

Nice snark comment though. I’m sure you know what he’s thinking. May be he is lying and secretly wants every Art Ross but lies to every media outlet? May be he personally told you that? Who knows? Just you, I guess.

I don’t need to guess what he is thinking when he has made it known countless times that the team comes first.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He’s stated it many times in countless interviews that while the individual awards are nice, the only thing on his mind is succeeding with his team.

Nice snark comment though. I’m sure you know what he’s thinking. May be he is lying and secretly wants every Art Ross but lies to every media outlet? May be he personally told you that? Who knows? Just you, I guess.

I don’t need to guess what he is thinking when he has made it known countless times that the team comes first.

Can you send me a clip when he said That?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

If Crosby put any energy in this regular season beyond what was need to get ready for a 3rd Cup and an unprecedented 3rd Conn Smythe which could cement his legacy as the #5 player all-time, it would have been a complete waste of energy, and he is smart enough to know that.

Adding potential Cups to his playoff legacy is easily the most important thing for him to expend the most energy on moving forward. If that requires him to step it up in the regular season like last year, he will do what he has to do.

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
I feel like all these McDavid fans are younger than McDavid. He put up 108 points. It's a great season, on a bad team, but those numbers aren't "he's going to win the art ross every year" type numbers.

If you consider he put up those points on a bad team with the worst powerplay in the league, you would realize how great of a season it is. You are under appreciating how good he was individually. Look at his ES stats, they are ridiculous. If McDavid plays 82 games, I don't see anyone putting up more points than him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I think if he has a short post season he might have a shot the next year, especially if his Team is out of playoff contention in that year...essentially an opportunity he does not want.
Kudos to McDavid for winning the Art Ross but it gets easier (still far from easy) when it's the main thing left to play for.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I say no. McDavid will hit 120 next year. A better question would be can Crosby crack 100 again?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Only if McDavid gets hurt. Then there is Eichel which i believe will be the next young one to top 100. Matthews IMO has no shot to ever hit 100, his playmaking is too bad.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
im past my mid 30's bud, seen it all Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Lindros, Crosby, McDavid. On pure freak talent McDavid comes out on top. combination of hand speed, stickhandling,skating,brains he takes the cake. Lindros had size, Lemieux had all the talent but lacked the pure speed, Gretzky had all the brains but didnt have the physical gifts to this extent. Mind you 99 would still rip this league a new one on pure hockey intelligence. McDavid just turned 21 putting up 100 + point seasons winning multiple Art Ross trophies. He is basically a lock for the Art Ross moving forward because. .. he is going to get even better. Its a 130 point forward scoring 108 points right now. Its only a matter of time unless he becomes injury prone.
Well hopefully he can get out of Edmonton somehow

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
If Claude Giroux can go from 58 to 102 pts why can't Crosby have a hot streak of lucky bounces and go from 89 pts to 100+ pts and get a shot at the Art Ross

No guarantee that McDavid will be healthy every year neither (hopefuly he is)

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I don’t think you can actually tell anybody what a player would or wouldn’t want from their career......and McDavids has been far from disappointing. It’s only been 3 years, let’s give it some time. It took Crosby 7 years to win his second cup, primarily due to having a better supporting cast around Malkin and him, and that was within both of their peaks.

To win stanley cups/gold medals....or to even have a shot, you need a solid team around yoy first. All we can hope is that the Oilers organization realize what kind of player they have and build from there.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
In a broader sense the Stanley Cups might matter when assessing the whole career legacy, but when discussing who is better right now it's irrelevant. McDavid is just a better hockey player than Crosby right now.

Tonight is a clear indicator of that too I bet. What time does McDavid’s team play again? Never mind...

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
If you were Crosby, what would be your all consuming goal?

Right, not the Art Ross. Granted I'm not him. But seems human nature. Once you've won the Cup, everything else is less compelling.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Is it so absurd to think that a player doesn't have to score as much when his team is great?

Crosby is playing some artful hockey right now - these are the times to savor the real greatness of a player. When they're not shouldering a massive burden with each game.

Tonight he was ridiculous, but the game came to him, not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad